Drunks at Leonard's European Concerts

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
tomsakic

Re: Drunks at Leonard's European Concerts

Post by tomsakic » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:24 pm

MarieM wrote: Post your recording of people singing along badly.
Well they are already on You Tube. Even some of Albert Noonan clips are unlistenable because some people are singing near him over LC.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:50 pm

tomsakic wrote:
MarieM wrote: Post your recording of people singing along badly.
Well they are already on You Tube. Even some of Albert Noonan clips are unlistenable because some people are singing near him over LC.
As far as I can tell it is almost impossible to get a "clean" recording of the encores from any concert in Europe.

Wendy
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Oh we had way more than our fair share of drunken idiots in Kilmainham especially the first night. I blame the organisers for keeping the bars open during the performance. Personally I think them doing that is disrespectful to Leonard and the band and indeed those of us there to see Leonard without distraction. It is a pity Leonard is too generous to ban the selling of alcohol during the performance. If it was a Christy Moore concert here it wouldn't happen as he does ban the sale of alcohol during his concerts.
As I posted in the Dublin thread at the barrier for the encores the first night this woman started talking loudly during FBR and my instant reaction was to tell her to "Shut the f**k up". I was furious with her. On the final night someone else did the same but I wasn't close enough to silence her but I did look down the barrier at her. I don't know what my expression was but the security guy between us and the stage saw the look and nearly collapsed with laughter. My attitude is do these people not realise how lucky they are to be able to witness the magic of Leonard live.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:34 am

Perhaps they could ban alcohol and legalise marijuana during concerts, then it might be more laid back - just like the early Seventies!
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:36 am

John Etherington wrote:Perhaps they could ban alcohol and legalise marijuana during concerts, then it might be more laid back - just like the early Seventies!
:lol:
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
mutti

Post by mutti » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:49 am

I want to add that it also irritates me when people sing through most of the songs. I love singing to So long Marianne, Closing Time, and a few others but i am there to hear Leonard sing not the people sitting next to me. I once sat next to someone who just wouldn't stop singing to each song...I told her it annoyed me and she so kindly stopped. Lucky Me...
Leslie PY 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:05 pm

musicmania wrote:
John Etherington wrote:Perhaps they could ban alcohol and legalise marijuana during concerts, then it might be more laid back - just like the early Seventies!
:lol:
We had no problems with drunks, or singers (apart from the obvious enjoyable singing to the usual numbers) on Sunday at Wembley but I was only saying something along those lines to Vicomtesse recently and how it was so enjoyable back in the day to sit back and listen to the early (and not so early albums) and enjoy a nice spliff whilst listening to yer man. So to my way of thinking, it might be a good idea to let all the "usual offenders" have a blow and then sit them down and let them listen to Leonard and who knows, they might well hear words they haven't actually heard before ;-) And at the same time, everyone else will be able to listen to an LC gig from start to finish without the chanting of "pub singers" believing they are all LC in disguise.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
loki17ie

Post by loki17ie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Did they not stop serving alcohol when the concert started in Kilmainham in 2008?
2008 Kilmainham (Dublin), Amsterdam
2009 O2 (Dublin), Nimes
2010 Lissadell (Sligo),
2012 Kilmainham (Dublin)
2013 Bercy (Paris), O2 Dublin
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard

Return to “Comments & Questions”