Drunks at Leonard's European Concerts

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
GraceC

Post by GraceC » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 pm

In recent European concert reports, there have been several mentions of disruptive drunks loudly singing off-tune, shouting and misbehaving. Apparently alcohol (and food) is served during the concerts and can be brought to the seats with people moving to and fro throughout the entire concert.

I'm looking forward to my first Leonard Cohen concert in Austin. After reading reports of concert-goers in Europe, I'm concerned about what to expect.

GC
Geoffrey

Re: Drunks at Leonard's European Concerts

Post by Geoffrey » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:47 pm

GraceC wrote:there have been several mentions of disruptive drunks loudly singing off-tune, shouting and misbehaving. Apparently alcohol is served during the concerts
it's shocking, isn't it, my dear
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:01 am

Nobody yet jumped onto stage and embraced Leonard, as that woman in the US did in 2010.

What can we say, the craziness has reach the LC fandom... It's time to stay at home...
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:20 am

I think it's just the luck of the draw. In my experience, American audiences are way less respectful than those in Europe (at least here in Houston anyway). But having said that, we saw Leonard in Austin in 2009 and it was a very sober affair - definitely no revelry. So I shouldn't worry..... just enjoy! And really, when you think about it, Leonard's been there and got the t-shirt, hey?

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:26 am

tomsakic wrote:Nobody yet jumped onto stage and embraced Leonard, as that woman in the US did in 2010.
Someone did try in Ghent - but the stage was about 10 foot high and security got to them before they succeeded!
tomsakic wrote:What can we say, the craziness has reach the LC fandom... It's time to stay at home...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wendy
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:39 am

GraceC wrote:Apparently alcohol (and food) is served during the concerts and can be brought to the seats
Have mercy on me baby
After all I did confess
Even though you have to hate me
Could you hate me less?

Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:08 am

Roman has a good idea. Maybe we need a wall of shame. Post pictures of people behaving badly. Post your recording of people singing along badly.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
mutti

Post by mutti » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:05 am

The Lissadell concerts in Sligo were 2 of the best concerts I have been to but I was shocked at the amount of people drunk. The 2nd night I had my first front row ever. In the 2nd act the couple next to me left and 2 very drunk women came to sit next to me. They both wanted to talk to me non stop and one was leaning in to me wanting me to dance. One of them was on her phone and then singing off key. I finally told them both in a very strict voice that I had come all the way from the Pacific west coast in America to see Leonard and to Shut up. They were really nice the whole time but so out of it that they just smiled and kept singing. Finally one of the security guards ushered them away as others had complained so the night was saved.

I have also heard of a couple people recently who were not drunk but who were singing off tune and annoying the people around them.

I do not understand this. We pay to hear Leonard sing. I sing to So Long Marianne and a couple others but this singing to most of the songs is
so annoying.
Don't get me wrong I love the wild energy and I for one am very exuberant singing and dancing..but only when its appropriate....and this singing along to all the songs could happen anywhere in any country.
So lets hope there is more respect in the future for those in the audience...ha ha
Cheers!
Leslie PY 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
regensburg

Post by regensburg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:20 am

Dear Grace, I am sure it will be different here in the States. I do not like outdoor concerts at all, and in Europe it is much more relaxed. Everybody can drink over there. I am going to be in doors and I think it will be very civilized.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:50 am

MarieM wrote:Roman has a good idea. Maybe we need a wall of shame. Post pictures of people behaving badly. Post your recording of people singing along badly.
I love this idea! :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by John Etherington » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:52 am

It is a good idea to photograph the nuisances, but not for a "wall of shame" because these jerks would probably see it as a "badge of honour". However, if pictures of the nuisances are printed here, then they can be more quickly identified (and reported) if they cause disturbance at later concerts. Personally I suggest asking nuisances politely to be quiet as soon as they start bothering you. If they don't - report them, promptly!
seadove

Post by seadove » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:16 pm

but 'ow can you tell between the good guys and us 'ooligans? Image
seadove

Post by seadove » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Oops. Image
GraceC

Post by GraceC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:02 am

This is all very interesting. I guess I am just old.
Grace
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Totally agree with your thoughts and suggestions, John E.
If it happens with me, that's what I'll be doing.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”