Filming at Concerts

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
GraceC

Filming at Concerts

Post by GraceC » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:21 am

Is filming by attendees permitted at all Leonard's concerts? Just wondering who makes that decision.
Thank you!
tomsakic

Re: Filming at Concerts

Post by tomsakic » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Officially no, but Leonard approves it so all shows were recorded or photographed by fans. The professional photographers are let into the front of the stage only during the opening song.

The general idea is NEVER USE FLASH.

Only problems can be caused by local security who can be to eager to do their supposed job. (Like in Italy.)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:56 pm

They used to be really strict on videos. I remember sitting next to Rob Hallett at the Brighton show in Nov 2008. He was looking out for the tell tale red lights from video cameras and kept jumping up every few minutes to report yet another one for security to follow up. These days though everyone has a video camera, whether its a phone or a digital camera, so it's almost impossible for security to stop them all. If you want to film (as opposed to take stills) just be subtle about it and you will probably get away with it.

Just turn off all the camera sounds & noises so you don't disturb everyone around you (my pet hate: camera squeaks, clicks & miscellaneous graunchy noises ....)

Wendy
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:55 pm

I hate the noises too and make sure my cameras keep quiet. I also hate when people keep using flash even though at concerts the photos look worse with flash and quite frankly Leonard doesn't like it and the way I see it Leonard is generous enough to allow us take photographs so the least people should do is turn off the flash!!!
I don't record at concert but take lots of photos and I always try to be conscious of the person behind me and hold my camera as low as possible if using the one without viewfinder. If a flashing light is alerting the camera police of recording is there a way of covering it? IMO once Leonard and his band and crew are happy and people are not being disturbed then I couldn't care about the camera police so maybe people cover the red lights and fool them ;-)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
GraceC

Post by GraceC » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Actually, the reason I asked this question is because, as a courtesy to others, I never film or photograph at concerts. I tend to get annoyed at people who stand up in front of me to film.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi Grace,

If this practice irritates you as much as it does me, you could ask an attendant if filming is permitted. They will most likely say it it isn't, so you've then got a basis to report anyone who particularly annoys you. In the past, I've had to resort to draping my jacket over someone's camera, throwing a drink at a paparazzi at the front, and (at a Webb Sisters concert) telling the photographer that took advantage of an empty seat in the front row next to me, to stop clicking his bloody camera in my ear!

All good things, John E
GraceC

Post by GraceC » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:15 am

John E,
Thank you for your good advice.
GC
Mordy

Post by Mordy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:19 pm

I've taken a few photos at concerts - and hopefully not disturbed anyone - except myself! It's distracting from the concert itself to be thinking about using a camera - and seeing it through that hopeless little screen. It was a relief to put the camera down and concentrate 100% on the performance.
M
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:59 pm

GraceC wrote:Is filming by attendees permitted at all Leonard's concerts? Just wondering who makes that decision.
Thank you!
Probably albert noonan has a perspective on this !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:53 pm

cohenadmirer wrote:
GraceC wrote:Is filming by attendees permitted at all Leonard's concerts? Just wondering who makes that decision.
Thank you!
Probably albert noonan has a perspective on this !
:lol:
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

kg7

Post by kg7 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:12 pm

I was at a concert with Mark Knopfler in Dublin a few years back and he stopped between songs and pointed out a person holding a camera with red led flashing! He very forcibly insisted on the person putting it away and I have to say the crowd really appreciated it. Cameras all disappeared for the rest of the show and it was all the better for it.
Very annoying these days, particularly at stand up gigs, trying to view your way through a sea of arms and led screens. I can't get why people just don't want to enjoy the moment. I guess it's a bit like collecting autographs rather than just shaking a hand!
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:01 pm

kg7 wrote:I was at a concert with Mark Knopfler in Dublin a few years back and he stopped between songs and pointed out a person holding a camera with red led flashing! He very forcibly insisted on the person putting it away and I have to say the crowd really appreciated it. Cameras all disappeared for the rest of the show and it was all the better for it.
Very annoying these days, particularly at stand up gigs, trying to view your way through a sea of arms and led screens. I can't get why people just don't want to enjoy the moment. I guess it's a bit like collecting autographs rather than just shaking a hand!
I was at that concert and he was in a foul humour that night. From where I was standing the crowd did not appreciate it! Saw him 2 years later and he was in much better form! I understand artists not liking flashes being used as they are very annoying but if people want to take photos and are NOT holding the cameras blocking the views of others and that the artist in question has no issues (I know for a fact Leonard doesn't as I asked Robert Kory) then why not allow people take photos or videos.
Can you honestly say you have never watched any of the concert videos? I always keep my camera low and check with the people behind that I am not in their way. I know not everyone does that though. I for one will treasure the photos I have from the concerts forever and I will also treasure the videos that others have captured.

kg7

Post by kg7 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:53 pm

musicmania wrote:Can you honestly say you have never watched any of the concert videos? I always keep my camera low and check with the people behind that I am not in their way. I know not everyone does that though. I for one will treasure the photos I have from the concerts forever and I will also treasure the videos that others have captured.
Forgive me musicmania - I didn't mean to offend. Of course I have watched many videos and I have to say lots of Leonard's fans recordings and photographs are excellent. I certainly would not begrudge anyone recording or taking photos (especially as Leonard does not mind). As you say, so long as people use discretion and don't distract people behind.
I still think Mark was right though - it was made very clear to fans on the way in!
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:05 pm

kg7 wrote:
musicmania wrote:Can you honestly say you have never watched any of the concert videos? I always keep my camera low and check with the people behind that I am not in their way. I know not everyone does that though. I for one will treasure the photos I have from the concerts forever and I will also treasure the videos that others have captured.
Forgive me musicmania - I didn't mean to offend. Of course I have watched many videos and I have to say lots of Leonard's fans recordings and photographs are excellent. I certainly would not begrudge anyone recording or taking photos (especially as Leonard does not mind). As you say, so long as people use discretion and don't distract people behind.
I still think Mark was right though - it was made very clear to fans on the way in!
You didn't offend! TBH I didn't realise that about the warnings before the MK concert. When I am told I can't take photos I don't (well I did sneak a few at the Electric Burma concert but that was a load of artists) but I generally respect the wishes of the artist so yes if that was MK's wishes and we had being told he was within his rights to tell that person to stop. I don't think I had a camera that night for some reason so don't remember the warnings. I'd won tickets to the second show 2 years later so entered via the VIP bar so if there was warnings that night I didn't hear them and my seat was a long way back from the stage so I was snap happy and he was in a happy mood that night too even though he was in a lot of pain.

kg7

Post by kg7 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:22 pm

musicmania wrote:I'd won tickets to the second show 2 years later so entered via the VIP bar so if there was warnings that night I didn't hear them and my seat was a long way back from the stage so I was snap happy and he was in a happy mood that night too even though he was in a lot of pain.
I was there that night too! He had hurt his back. It was a great concert. Anyway, don't mind me - I'm just getting old & grumpy ;-)

Return to “Comments & Questions”