Leonard reading poetry on CD

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Mark A. Murphy

Leonard reading poetry on CD

Post by Mark A. Murphy »

I've asked this before (a few years ago) but does any one else here want to hear Leonard reading a CD full of poetry? Can somebody with influence put the idea to Leonard's management or Sony? I think such a project would sell really well. Let's start a crusade!
"Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it." Sylvia Plath
BEATRIZ SALLES

Re: Leonard reading poetry on CD

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Let's start! :D
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Without any doubt it would be an instant hit!
I think we have all been asking and wanting this since f-o-r-e-v-e-r!
.....so I wonder 'who' can make it happen.......

I know we have this one already but I want more!
Fan-bootleg MASTER POEMS has Cohen's poetry recordings from 1956 to 1996.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

It may be interesting to note the little blurb on the inside cover of the free CD (cover versions of Songs of Leonard Cohen) that came with March 2012's Mojo magazine (and that I was able to obtain thanks to an exceptionally kind forum member from across the pond!). Leonard is quoted as saying (and I merely paraphrase, not having the CD handy) that he does not like poetry recitals, and that he prefers singing or chanting to music!

Nonetheless, I would be quite happy with a new CD of Leonard reciting some poetry, if he was so inclined to record one (and, with music is okay with me, like the poems on Dear Heather).
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I like it with musical background, like Dear Heather tracks (To a Teacher being a high peak), and new tracks like Going Home and Anyhow. Leonard is, at his old age, now great at spoken poetry.

I also liked his recitations over Philip Glass' music... (unlike the rest of Glass' Book of Longing CD). The title song (I can't make the hills) is mesmerizing.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

haven't seen you in virtual forever, mark... great to see you !
i love leonard's speaking poetry and tom makes some good points on that.
i'd love an entire cd, too.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mark A. Murphy

Post by Mark A. Murphy »

hi Lizzy, how are you? i've been out of action for a while. i'm back into the fold now, love the new album. anticipating some new tour dates. i really need to see Leonard. hope all is well with you. take care.
"Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it." Sylvia Plath

Return to “Comments & Questions”