How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every religion?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Post Reply
LeonjlFox
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:01 pm

How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every religion?

Post by LeonjlFox » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:11 pm

I've been listening to/reading from Leonard Cohen's work for the past 40 years and I am mystified that every world religion has not acknowledged his contributions as being utterly prophetic (not necessarily saintly). Whether "Anthem", "If it be your Will", "The Guests" or, most recently, "Show me the place" - is there not truth, beauty and passion in each phrase?
I have no idea how long you can keep doing this but each new work is a blessing to the world
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3147
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every relig

Post by Geoffrey » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 pm

LeonjlFox asks:
>How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every religion?


this is absurd. no way is leonard cohen prophet material. messiah, maybe - but not a mere prophet.
pipskicks
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:16 am

Re: How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every relig

Post by pipskicks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:34 pm

You'd be hard pressed to find a religious Jew who would like him, they are just way too against most secular Jews. Or Jews that do things like curse OH MY GOD COVER MY EARS! :roll:
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3147
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every relig

Post by Geoffrey » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:02 pm

pipskicks wrote:You'd be hard pressed to find a religious Jew who would like him, they are just way too against most secular Jews. Or Jews that do things like curse OH MY GOD COVER MY EARS! :roll:
You mean many of his fellow countrymen don't like him? Perhaps Jesus was right then when in Matthew 13:57 he said: "No man is a prophet in his own hometown!"
Vicomte
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every relig

Post by Vicomte » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:27 am

Geoffrey wrote:
this is absurd. no way is leonard cohen prophet material. messiah, maybe - but not a mere prophet.
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.......... ;-)

(Thanks go to Monty Python)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
pipskicks
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:16 am

Re: How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every relig

Post by pipskicks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:30 am

Geoffrey wrote:
pipskicks wrote:You'd be hard pressed to find a religious Jew who would like him, they are just way too against most secular Jews. Or Jews that do things like curse OH MY GOD COVER MY EARS! :roll:
You mean many of his fellow countrymen don't like him? Perhaps Jesus was right then when in Matthew 13:57 he said: "No man is a prophet in his own hometown!"
Eh he's supposedly my G-Ma's cousin, and my parents don't want anything to do with him or me, so yeah, the non-religious Jews I'm sure love him like they love all the other non-religious Jews, but anyone who leaves the religion....they're definitely far from prophets! They would probably dissuade other Jews from listening to him it's that bad. Oh well, you're probably right about not being a prophet in your hometown, religion is a business, no prophet wants to lose his congregation (or more his congegation's money) :(
User avatar
Geoffrey
Posts: 3147
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 am

Re: How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every relig

Post by Geoffrey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:27 am

pipskicks wrote:he's supposedly my G-Ma's cousin, and my parents don't want anything to do with him or me
supposedly? unless i am mistaken, your great grandparents must have had at least two children; one being your grandmother, the other either leonard's mother or father - as that would make he and your grandmother first cousins. to verify this you need only to conduct a standard document search.
pipskicks
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:16 am

Re: How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every relig

Post by pipskicks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:06 am

Geoffrey wrote:
pipskicks wrote:he's supposedly my G-Ma's cousin, and my parents don't want anything to do with him or me
supposedly? unless i am mistaken, your great grandparents must have had at least two children; one being your grandmother, the other either leonard's mother or father - as that would make he and your grandmother first cousins. to verify this you need only to conduct a standard document search.
Yeah my memory isn't great, my grandma passed away many years ago and I don't think anyone else knew the lineage, so I can't remember exactly how she was related to him, but I believe it was cousins, I just am not 100% sure. She mentioned it to me only once, and being a young kid, not knowing who he was (no YouTube at that time!) I sort of just forgot about it....


I'm not proud of that, but that's life.
seadove
Posts: 2084
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:06 am
Location: Israel
Contact:

Re: How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every relig

Post by seadove » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:25 pm

He's not the Messiah.

I am. Image :-)
Rain
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: How is this man not honoured as a prophet by every relig

Post by Rain » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:12 pm

IMHO - I think Leonard Cohen, himself, would be the first to tell you that he's not a prophet, nor the Messiah! 8)
That being said, I do believe his God-given talent with words is unparalleled. (Dylan is close---but I bet he'd argue with me on that ;-) ) I still think Cohen is a "secular psalmist", for lack of a better phrase. (I'm sure he could come up with a better one)

Most Jewish people, that I've talked to, really like him....and some of them are very traditional...do the Ultra-Orthodox not like him?

--Rain
Post Reply

Return to “Comments & Questions”