Dear Leonard...

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
davideo

Dear Leonard...

Postby davideo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:02 am

Even if we never hear back from him, it would still be nice to hear what others would say to Mr. Cohen if they were given the opportunity. On that rare day for me 35 years ago, I was able to say," I know almost all the words to all of your songs ", to which Leonard responded with, " Thanks a lot, man. Thanks a lot." What would you say to Leonard if he were to view this Leonard Cohen Forum? (Seems likely enough to me.) " DEAR LEONARD..."
Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
"A Course in Miracles"
http://members.shaw.ca/clatwood/
davideo

Dear Leonard

Postby davideo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:36 pm

Dear Leonard
I've started this topic, but nobody's contributed. I wrote a bio as long as my forearm to you and it went into the ether. I hadn't logged in, and it just went!
All I was really trying to say was that your music had become such a part of me that I couldn't shake it. It was like I was a Cohen devotee. I always thought you 'knew' something.
I'm very sorry I lost my partly humorous, largely sad, story. It was about me trying to transcend my liability towards 'death' , all the while toting your lyrics as if they were a gospel. I have even blamed you for my psychiatric past! Present? But such is psychiatric nonsense.
I was in Montreal, once, looking to find you, cause I figured you could 'save' me. Having met you in '69 ( whence you bought my picture on Sussex Drive) I assumed some mystical premises. I spent the night in an over-priced Salvation Army 'barracks'. I went home on a bus, thinking maybe that was you at a crosswalk. Another time, in '77 I sought you out, and walked many hours to Leonard Cohen's home. " Sweet early morning..." and that Mr. Cohen asked," Just which Leonard Cohen are you looking for?" He didn't look a bit like you. Nice fellow.
When I was in my first psych ward, they gave me drugs that basically lifted the needle off your first two albums. They'd been playing there for many months. After some weeks I got to go bowling with the others. The plastic wrist band embarassed me. My sculpture prof came and returned me to the campus, where I proceeded to over-dose on all of my medication. When I awoke, and not being dead, I rushed as best I could to my graphic arts class. I soon dropped out.
I was famous in my own mind, having met you and sold you a picture. I don't suppose you still have it. I'm glad you liked it. I still paint.
I guess I just want to say 'hello'. My first 'Dear Leonard' was better, but what the heck. You have a great day, Leonard, and so many more to come. Love, Dave
Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
"A Course in Miracles"
http://members.shaw.ca/clatwood/
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:59 pm

Dear Leonard,
I first met you in Brighton in 1974. When I say 'met you' I mean to say that we were in the same room. When I say room I mean 'hall' and you may not have noticed me when you walked on that stage but I was able to say, 'it's about time we came face to face. I want to see the person who has done this to me'. You didn't hear me .... I said it very quietly...in my head. I think others around me were saying similar things but you didn't listen ..you were too busy singing.
That was 30 years ago and you still haven't looked me in the eye. :)
Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Floater

Postby Floater » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:15 am

Dear, Leonard
You are the reason I never did drugs.
starshaped

Postby starshaped » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:49 pm

dear leonard

wow, what can i say? your music is amazing. i wish i was around to of followed your carear years ago.
nubbins

Postby nubbins » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:42 pm

dear leonard, it's time
i made you my grandfather
mine died from war
and too much goose fat
in the blood
i need someone
worn and harmless-looking
an old raw bumper
to part the shower curtains
to cleanse my love
with holy soap
and when the evidence
has been finally scrubbed away
i'll free you again
to turn yourself into a dove
and smash
into any mirror you like
catherine

Postby catherine » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:20 pm

This is beautiful, nubbins.

Catherine :D
peter danielsen

Postby peter danielsen » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:37 pm

dear leonard

I kissed my first woman because of you. and those ever since. all because of a few songs wherein you spoke of...It may end up with a baby shivering. Maybe thats why I need to get even bigger muscles. And work more to get rich. and famous. And a better singer. and writer

Peter
bo fisher

dear leonard

Postby bo fisher » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:37 am

Dear Leonard

Your music has been a large part of the soundtrack that is my life
for over 30 years. So many of my memories are accompanied by
your songs. Thank you my friend.

Bo
Everyday's a lifeboat
Garcia Lorca

Re: Dear Leonard...

Postby Garcia Lorca » Tue May 01, 2012 12:32 am

Dear Leonard,

Thank you for knowing how I feel, and expressing it by the wonderful way you do it... world is a better place to live in thanks to people like you.

Gema
" The instructions were never to lament casually. And if one is to express the great inevitable defeat that awaits us all, it must be done within the strict confines of dignity and beauty."
Cheshire gal

Postby Cheshire gal » Tue May 01, 2012 12:51 am

Gema,

Thank you for reviving this thread. It was very interesting and I hope Leonard did read these posts. I think we all feel the same way about him and his music.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
seadove

Postby seadove » Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 am

If Leonard would read this thread he would make quite a few songs out of it, "Dear Heather style".

:-)
Marlene J.

Postby Marlene J. » Tue May 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Dear Leonard,

I can't express my feelings very well. About anything, I never could. I don't know how to, I don't know what words to say. But I hope you understand that that doesn't mean I'm heartless or emotionless. I hope you understand that although I'm not able to word how much I love your music, or what I feel when I listen to it, that doesn't mean I don't love your music or don't feel when I listen to it. Because I do. I just don't know how to express it.
2012: Fredriksten Fortress, Halden, Norway
coolfadda

Postby coolfadda » Tue May 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Oh my goodness.... hello!! How are you? :D
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed May 02, 2012 6:38 am

Such sweet and honest expression, Amalthea.
It's very very hard to find words, isn't it.
I know what you mean.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”