Lizzy grumbled at me

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
glyn

Lizzy grumbled at me

Post by glyn » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:58 pm

Lizzy grumbled at me earlier that I hadn't been on the site for a while. Purely by concidence I'd been working & listenng to LC at the same time. But I think that I can heal il I'm a fool but...and so on. She hadn't listened to Death of A Ladies Man. Its written on the wall of this hotel you go to heaven once you've been to hell. That's real Cohen. Not Ten New Songs or Dear Heather. Its real watching him from the choir stalls in 1974 at the Albert Hall. I'm sorry Tom but that's the way it is. Leonard get off your backside and play a memory for these young people who love you, one last time, Croatia, Estonia, Poland, Sweden (give me an excuse to go to Ystad). Yeh who knows. I think not. I have a friend whose is seventy and would have the energy to do a concert at least once a week for a few weeks. You could do it. You have no idea what it was is was like to be so close to listen and realise the energy. And the fact that they lived the moment. For those kids to hear a live recording and say well I was there...
glyn
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:25 am

:lol: You're right, I did. So great to see you here, Glyn :D . However, as Tchocolatl points out, elsewhere, Leonard remains a poet. We hear him as a poet in Dear Heather. Should he ever choose to consider to travel and sing, I feel your reasons for him to do so are excellent.

~ Lizzy
linmag

Post by linmag » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:52 pm

Considering the amount of time Leonard spends in India, and travelling between LA, New York and Montreal, I don't think there is any question that he would be physically capable of touring. I think the question is whether he is artistically capable of it.

He has always been concerned with representing a song truly. His current work is very much about the slow death of the libido, and as sensuality was a strong aspect driving many of his songs it is possible that he may feel that he can no longer get honestly or truthfully behind some of his earlier work. If that were the case, he simply would not attempt it.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
margaret

Post by margaret » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:11 pm

I think the reason may not be lack of physical energy but the strength of his vocal chords now. To produce a gently sung or spoken studio album and to actually perform the material over an hour or two live is quite a different matter.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:16 pm

I think it's just a matter of personal preference on how to spend his time now. He's spoken of the grueling nature of touring. He stopped touring long before these 'noticeable' differences, now being cited, in his voice had occurred.
margaret

Post by margaret » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:26 pm

Yes Lizzy, that as well. I just thought that even if he hadn't wanted to tour, he may no longer be able to sing for any length of time anyway. A one-off concert would be nice, but I can't see it happening :(
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:12 am

Neither do I, Margaret :( . I wish he'd arrange for a private audience, and that I'd be included. However, a world tour holds as much chance as that :lol: .
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:37 am

Hi everyone :P Nice to see the closest friend from forum in one topic:)
Well, Glyn, you made me worry about you, and obvioulsy at least one more person. I was already thinking to call UK police to find you:) I've got your message and we're all happy you're well and back with us :lol:
I do not regret I didn't see him live. If I have to choose between the tour and one more record, well, maybe I am crazy, but I would chose the second.
Tom
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:12 pm

I understand that perspective, Tom.....and would, even if I'd never seen Leonard. I actually think that many people would be content to simply meet Leonard......rather like a book signing, but rather a person meeting.
margaret

Post by margaret » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:27 pm

:idea: I just had a thought.

wouldn't it be wonderful if the forthcoming poetry volume "Book of Longing" could also be recorded by Leonard like an audio book?

I've just been playing the new cd and love the poetry readings. Who cares if he no longer sings much? 8)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:16 am

I agree, let's suggets him that he records CD with book. (As for me, he can play arrangments in the background 8) ).

Return to “Comments & Questions”