The Forum and Facebook

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Laura

Re: The Forum and Facebook

Post by Laura » Fri May 06, 2011 12:34 am

I was hit today while walking to the university (well, running, actually) by the idea that Facebook is sort of like having sex. It is fun, and it has all sorts of options to protect yourself, but when you allow only one or two friends see something that you have posted you might then realise that their friends will see it too, and then the friends of their friends... and then you have to ask yourself, how many people have you been facebooking with?! (or maybe everything reminds me of having sex at the moment... that's a possibility, too)

Laura
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri May 06, 2011 2:46 am

You can choose who sees what you post. Only friends can see what I post unless I sometimes change it for photos and then allow for friends of friends. You can also then specify what friends see what so when posting something LC related only people interested will see it.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Fri May 06, 2011 3:48 am

Laura wrote:I was hit today while walking to the university (well, running, actually) by the idea that Facebook is sort of like having sex. It is fun, and it has all sorts of options to protect yourself, but when you allow only one or two friends see something that you have posted you might then realise that their friends will see it too, and then the friends of their friends... and then you have to ask yourself, how many people have you been facebooking with?! (or maybe everything reminds me of having sex at the moment... that's a possibility, too)

Laura
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Laura » Fri May 06, 2011 10:40 am

musicmania wrote:You can choose who sees what you post. Only friends can see what I post unless I sometimes change it for photos and then allow for friends of friends. You can also then specify what friends see what so when posting something LC related only people interested will see it.

Yep, I did that with a photo that I wanted only two of my friends to see. And then I changed my mind and deleted it, but they were still commenting on my photo! So I realised I had only deleted it from my wall, not from the album associated with the wall. Since the album itself has other privacy settings, I have no idea if the photo will use those or will only be available for those 2 friends. And then, I tagged my friends in it to be sure they see it; but that means it will appear on their wall and despite my privacy settings their friends will see it too... and here we go... I feel a headache coming!
Laura
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri May 06, 2011 11:25 am

Good point about the tagging but I'm almost certain only they would see them. I recently changed my profile settings so that that things I comment on wouldn't be filling my page but before I was able to do that I was just deleting them and FB would show a message saying only people who could see the comments would see on my page that I had made the comment. I take that to mean not every friend sees everything on my profile which suits me fine! I'm feeling that headache too :lol:
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Fri May 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Laura, a cold shower may be in order....... :shock: ;-) :shock:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Laura

Post by Laura » Fri May 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Byron wrote:Laura, a cold shower may be in order....... :shock: ;-) :shock:

Looooooong passed the point for that, John. All the cold waters of the Mediterrane might not help by this point. But I am pleased that I managed to shock an englishman, that's a first. ;-)
Laura
Tony

Post by Tony » Sat May 07, 2011 12:01 am

Perhaps this quotation could apply? Just substitute the word "technology" for "comfort".

“Luxury: The lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house as a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master.”- Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat May 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Laura ;-) ~

Wouldn't a headache be counter-productive?

Tony ~

Great adaptation of a classic quote.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Laura

Post by Laura » Sat May 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Lizzy... we are talking about Facebook now, aren't we? ;-)

Laura
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 am

It would be great if the longer established members who contributed to the discussion here would share their memories of the earlier concerts (The earlier concerts thread, on Leonard Cohen's music )
Like many others, probably, I had been listening to Leonard for years, but never saw him live until the recent tour, and I enjoy reading people's memories of those pre-2008 tours. So all reminiscence welcome! :D
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri May 13, 2011 1:23 am

Well, yes, Laura, no doubt Facebook is where that headache would originate... :) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Fri May 13, 2011 11:19 am

lizzytysh wrote:Well, yes, Laura, no doubt Facebook is where that headache would originate... :) .

~ Lizzy

Surely that would be a 'Faceache' ??
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Laura

Post by Laura » Fri May 13, 2011 5:47 pm

lizzytysh wrote:Well, yes, Laura, no doubt Facebook is where that headache would originate... :) .

~ Lizzy

Which is no doubt going to offer a serious argument for the supporters of the theory: "too much Facebook means too little sex". Personally I don't agree with that... ;-)
Laura
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat May 14, 2011 2:16 am

Ha. I've never heard that theory, but can understand how one might subscribe to it.

"Personally I don't agree with that... ;-) " ~ I have a feeling if a poll were to be taken, you'd be doing very well.

"Faceache" Hahah... good one, Byron.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”