The Forum and Facebook

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Diane

Re: The Forum and Facebook

Post by Diane » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:12 am

that makes three of us not-being-on-facebook then, remote1. I know there are advantages to facebook, but still...
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:08 am

It seems that one of the unintended outcomes of this thread will be that more people will join Facebook 8)
mutti

Post by mutti » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:41 am

or another outcome is for more to come back to the forum... 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Judy

Post by Judy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:56 am

.. and that everyone understands each other better :D
Tony

Post by Tony » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:48 am

Perhaps the demise of the chatroom has led to more people joining Facebook? I know that a number of chatroom regulars have moved there. I used to be in touch with people here through the chatroom but I can no longer get in it. Just a thought. I resist Facebook though.
Diane

Post by Diane » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Good point, Tony. I'm sure you're right. I never used the chat rooms. It's seeming clearer that we all use different online places for different things and always have and that this keeps changing, as we might expect. The only certain thing is that people make connections with each other, and they want to keep them, and they manage to do this however and wherever.

Tom Sakic said as a facebook user, and LC scholar, that he thinks the forum will be the one place for the lengthier more indepth discussions, a reassuring observation from your pov, Doron.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:09 pm

2 years ago a relative asked me to join Facebook. Being somewhat elderly (me) I remembered the phrase that Groucho Marx used when asked to join a club....."any club that wants me to be a member, isn't one I want to belong to." For the same reason, any club that the 'relative' was in and wanted me to join, isn't one I would want to belong to.
One could also say (go on, say it !! ) that, I recognise that I am a decrepit, dishevelled, daft, dozy, dinosaur, for whom any form of written communication, which condones the modern shorthand of numbers and letters like, " i h8 u" is an anathema, to be avoided as much as possible. I know language is a 'living' form and changes continually, but I can only add to my argument by reference to a political flyer which arrived through our letterbox this week. I shall not say which political party or prospective candidate wrote it, but suffice it to say that, my far better half (despite being enclosed in a left leg plaster cast !! ) and myself, found the body of the candidate's use of English to be bloody awful. I believe he spends far more time 'texting' and 'Social Networking,' than is good for his chances of attracting voters in local elections. Most voters in local elections are not known for the shortness of their years.
I accept millions of people enjoy FB and other similar systems of communication, such as Twitter. I also accept that such sites are not for me. As for the early discussion following Paula's first contribution to this thread, I too found the sudden rush of new memberships to be alarming. Once the news got out that Leonard was embarking on his tour, and that tickets/passwords could be found in this Forum, the membership grew by 500 or more on a daily basis. To those of you who joined then, and are still here to read this, I am delighted you found us. Yes, membership will decline in any organisation over time, if no new blood arrives. To survive it has to keep growing. I agree with what others have said about this, and to be honest, the quality of the input from all past, present, and newer members, is to be applauded. This is a 'quality driven' group, thanks to the gentle touch of jarkko and the moderators, and of course, the rest of you.
Time for my Horlicks and afternoon nap.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:37 pm

While I only replyed to this topic early on I have followed it from the start and I didn't feel I had anything to add since so kept quiet but your comments about the way people write have struck a chord with me. While I do use short hand when sending text messages I despise seeing it elsewhere and hate when people update their status on FB using it. Maybe it is the writer in me but in the public domain I believe people should write and spell correctly. It is mostly the younger generation that does this but I have seen members of the older generation doing it too. It makes me cringe when I see it.

I was one of the new members here during the tour but I joined after seeing Leonard in concert so I could share my love of his work with like minded souls and I've been very happy to remain!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:42 am

Byron wrote:
my far better half (despite being enclosed in a left leg plaster cast !! )
It’s great seeing you hear, Byron, but what distressing news! I had no idea; hoping it’s not too bad and wishing her full recovery.
Byron wrote:
One could also say (go on, say it !! ) that, I recognise that I am a decrepit, dishevelled, daft, dozy, dinosaur,
I feel the same!
Diane wrote:
Tom Sakic said as a facebook user, and LC scholar, that he thinks the forum will be the one place for the lengthier more indepth discussions, a reassuring observation from your pov, Doron.
I hope you’re right, Diane; so far I haven’t detected much enthusiasm but perhaps we can still make it happen.

Thanks also to Judy, Tony, mutti, musicmania and everyone else for taking part in this ongoing exchange of views.
Gypsy_Wife

Post by Gypsy_Wife » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:47 pm

I am a big fan of FaceBook, but for communication other than the type of discussions we used to have in the NG and here.

On FaceBook I am able to reach out to family and friends who aren't Leonard Cohen fans. I found the children of my mother's favorite cousin, they had lost touch before WWII. I am also able to communicate with those forum members I have become friends with over the last, almost, 13 years. On FaceBook I am able to filter who I want to have contact with and who I would rather not.

The Forum is where I come for information and in depth discussion, FaceBook is for play.

Valerie
Here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:58 pm

I joined the Forum only in 2010 and I joined face book in that year as well. While I have been a fan of Leonard Cohen for 40 years. Now I am only trying to find my way around the Forum and have not, as yet, contributed anything of note or consequence to it. I think for a true Leonard Cohen fan it is ideal and I look forward to acquainting myself more with it. Funnily enough when I joined FB I was posting snippets of Leonard's verse and song but unfortunately my "friends" were not fans of Leonard. Fortunately for me I came to find "Leonard Cohen phrase of the day" and through that I found there were thousands of people who loved Leonard and his work. I built up a good number of Leonard friends. I suspect, but cannot be sure, that lot of them are or were, members of the Forum. My experience has been that there is very little interaction between the greater part of them and myself. I would have lost at least 50 of my original number. Now, my point would be that I cannot see how FB will affect the Forum. As Avi has said they are completely different beasts. Sorry for being so long winded.

Tony Crosbie.

Let Us Compare Mythologies.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:31 am

Please let me apologize in advance with what will be a long rambling reply.

I have been uncomfortable with the new technology right from the start. Jarkko was kind enough to direct me to the old Newsgroup when I first contacted him about my great life-long admiration of Leonard and his work. I'll have to post the entries from my first foray into the Newsgroup-in retrospect it is extremely comical. As always as it is one of my flaws, I do love scholarly discussions of Leonard's work and I used my entry into the Newsgroup to ask about a Latin term, "metanoma" trying to discuss its relationship to Leonard's use of the words "repent, repent" from "The Future." Unfortunately, not knowing the conventions, I posted in the middle of a thread in which Jack Lazuriak was making a dramatic withdrawal from the group and was both begged to re-consider and encouraged to exit quickly. Ultimately, it garnered the attention of ~greg who accused me of being a troll. Much hilarity ensued.

Back a couple of years ago, Tom Sakic invited me to join a Facebook group of fans of Leonard Cohen which I agreed to right away. My account sat dormant for about two years until my children discovered that I had a Facebook account and couldn't believe that I had not asked them to "friend" me. Until recently, I didn't actively seek friends, but accepted any who contacted me.

After Leonard's concert's began, I could see a terrific reason to watch Twitter as so many good previews and photos were posted there. I never would have thought that I would have paid any attention to this in the past.

Now, I want to thank MaryB for the kind words that you said about my greetings after the Kitchner and Hamilton concerts in 2008. In retrospect, I wish that I had greeted more people and I really admire those who actively welcome our newcomers. Leonard himself is so very gracious and it only seems right that a forum dedicated to a discussion about him and his works should exhibit the same type of warm, accepting behavior that he demonstrates in all his interactions with us.

Anne & I have met so many of you in person and developed wonderful friendships and this continues to go forward with each new gathering. There are many others who we first met in Las Vegas in December who we now consider great friends. With this said, there are many others who do not have the luxury of traveling to these distant events to bring that personal warmth to the forefront. I am reminded of our member, Mike Lutomski here who, although he lives close, we have not had the pleasure of a personal meeting, yet I consider him one of my best forum friends.

As Marie says, it is just so delightful that Leonard has reached this new level where many new people are joining us now. It is so great and we should do everything in our power to welcome them and make them feel a part of this great community.

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
mutti

Post by mutti » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 am

What a lovely post Joe! I am so glad I had the pleasure of meeting you albeit briefly in Las Vegas.
and I am glad you felt like Kris Kristofferson...it will always be a story to remember.
Look forward to seeing you and Ann again hopefully at the 2012 event or even sooner!
Cheers!
Leslie/Mutti 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
donalagata

Post by donalagata » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:50 am

Last edited by donalagata on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Joe,

Thank you so much for this most wonderful post. We are very lucky to have you as our Forum member, Facebook “friend” and real friend. We are grateful to you and Anne for putting so much energy in arranging next year’s event, which we sure will be a great success.

Doron

Return to “Comments & Questions”