Places you have shared with Leonard

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lightasabreeze

Places you have shared with Leonard

Post by lightasabreeze » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Where is the weirdest place you may have listened to leonard ?
Tomorrow I have to have a MRI on my spine, I have the choice to be sedated in case I get claustrophobic, alternatively
I can take a cd as I will be 20 mins to half hour inside the tube.
So I have got The Future cd in my bag ready. I worked it out that because they are fairly long songs - as most are - the time will go quickly. So I will close my eyes and just listen.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
holydove

Re: Places you have shared with Leonard

Post by holydove » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi lightasabreeze,

That's a very good idea to bring Leonard to your MRI!! I once had an MRI, & the most frightening part of it, for me, was the very strange & very loud & scary sounds that the machine makes (I don't know if you were aware of that aspect of it - but it's good to know about that in advance)!! So having Leonard's voice going straight into your head will, at least to some degree, drown out those bizarre sounds & that should be very helpful!! I don't know if claustrophia is an ongoing issue in your life (that may have some bearing on how claustrophobic the machine will make you feel) but closing your eyes, along with immersing yourself in the beautiful world of Leonard Cohen, should help you to forget where you are, & that is very likely to decrease or eliminate any potential sense of claustrophobia. If I ever have another MRI, I think I will bring Leonard with me too!!

If claustrophobia is not a big issue in your life, in general, then I would choose Leonard Cohen over sedation.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:54 pm

Thanks Holydove, I will know what to expect now. I won't have much time to worry as I have to be there by 7am in the morning!
I can't say I AM claustrophobic but I don't look forward to being so closed in I must admit.
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
holydove

Post by holydove » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi lightasabreeze,

Hope Leonard transported you to big beautiful open boundless spaces!! Hope the MRI went okay & that all is well with you!!

Best Wishes,

Rachel/holydove
Purple Princess

Post by Purple Princess » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Lightasabreeze,

Last month I had to have an hours dental work carried out (actually turned out to be 70 minutes, not that i was counting) but I took one of my LC DVD's which not only kept my mind of what was going on but I also gained a new fan of LC in my dentist!
]
Hope all ok with your MRI! ;-)
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 pm

holydove wrote:Hi lightasabreeze,

Hope Leonard transported you to big beautiful open boundless spaces!! Hope the MRI went okay & that all is well with you!!

Best Wishes,

Rachel/holydove
Thanks Rachel. All went well and now I know what you meant by the noises. So loud sometimes poor Leonard was drowned out at times. Can't say I liked the experience but at least Leonard made it more palatable and certainly helped me to relax.
Thanks Sylvie/lightasabreeze
A Thousand Kisses Deep

MaryB

Post by MaryB » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:27 am

Sylvie,

Glad to hear that all went well. The idea of bringing LC with you for an MRI is a great idea - so much better than singing the songs in your head. Will bring the original with me next time if I ever have to have one again.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Glad to hear all went well, and hope the, results will come back very well also. I have never had one of these scans and I hope, it never comes about , but,thanks to you, I know what to take along with me. Now the next problem is, which C.Ds do I choose. Denise. P.S Which song,s did you choose's. :)
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:57 pm

denise knowles wrote:Glad to hear all went well, and hope the, results will come back very well also. I have never had one of these scans and I hope, it never comes about , but,thanks to you, I know what to take along with me. Now the next problem is, which C.Ds do I choose. Denise. P.S Which song,s did you choose's. :)
Well, I took The Future, because I knew the first two tracks were quite long, the third track is my favourite - Be for Real -
the track after that is another quite long one. So I worked out that four at least would be about the time the MRI would take. After I came out, the nurse said "Oh, don't forget to take Leonard home with you' WOW, if only!!!!!
Sylvie ..
A Thousand Kisses Deep

sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:53 pm

en route to celebrating the royal wedding - in LEONARD STREET!

http://www.wearetbc.com/royalweddingstreetparty
Ziyad

Post by Ziyad » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:33 pm

I went for a slightly less high tech version when I had an MRI, and that consisted of me singing to myself Chelsea Hotel and Famous Blue Raincoat for 20 minutes!
1974 London RAH|1976 London RAH, London New Vic x 3|1979 Manchester|1985 London Hamm x 2|1988 London RAH x 3|1993 London RAH x 2|2008 Manchester x 2, Glastonbury, London O2 x 2, Big Chill, London RAH, Brighton|2009 Weybridge|2012 London Wembley|2013 London O2 x 2

"thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, i thought it was there for good so i never tried"
mutti

Post by mutti » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:01 am

riding in a car being picked up at 2am at Bangalore airport in India... after seeing Leonard perform one night and 2 nights later on the plane to India.
After flying 8 hours to Paris and then a 22 hour layover (did sleep at a hotel) and then another 9 hour flight.
Back to said car....driving as the sun comes up and through rural India to destination of Hampi (8 hour drive) and freaking out inside
that I had made a mistake coming back to India after not being there for 25 years! Visions of how to get out of there..culture shock...exhausted..
the only thing that got me through was listening to 8 hours of Leonard singing...
Needless to say I felt disassociated from being in the present and it did help soothe me....
took another day and then I was grounded and able to enjoy being in India.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “Comments & Questions”