a very old fan but new to cyber world and L C forum

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
denise knowles

a very old fan but new to cyber world and L C forum

Post by denise knowles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:53 am

HELLO my name is Denise Knowles, Before Cyber world I was on the mailing list for INTENSITY ( NETHERLANDS) and Jim Devlin, monthy mag. I met Leonard Cohen at the RAH London after the concert, on the 10th May 1993, I were very luck to have a backstage pass. I have been a very big fan since 1969. I am the very proud owner of a sweater which was made for me, with the portrait from Recent Songs on the front which L C very kindly signed for me. I,m looking forward to speaking with other like minded fan's because I 'm out in the cold with my friends were Leaonard is concerned. :)
Wybe
Site Admin

Re: a very old fan but new to cyber world and L C forum

Post by Wybe » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:50 am

Hi Denise,
Welcome in the Cyber World with a close connection with the real world.

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++ https://www.LCeventAmsterdam.icantforget.nl +++ --
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:18 am

Thank you wybe. I thought I was as stubborn as those garbage bag that time connot decay, but I have, in my old age had to move away from the good old pen and paper to a keypad
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:54 am

Hi Denise, firstly welcome to the forum.

We were at the same concert in 1993 at the RAH and it is rare that we find anyone that heard someone at the back of the hall, shout "Hypocrite" along with some other unintelligible words after Leonard started the song "Chelsea Hotel". It was at the time, thought by a few of us to be a remark about Janis Joplin but to this day, I really don't have the answer, only that Leonard gave a brief reply either at the end or when it was shouted out?

Four of us recall it well enough still but as time goes by, I fear I might end up thinking was all just a dream ;-) Any ideas?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
B4real

Post by B4real » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi Denise,
Welcome to the best "place in space" to be. Don't worry about anything. Everyone here is friendly and helpful. All you have to do is ask. That sweater sounds great!
Now I'm posting the following because I need to clarify if there were two concerts then. Even so, in doing my research I thought the following info was interesting and hope others do as well.

This is listed at Diamonds in the mines –

11 May 1993 - Royal Albert Hall, London - (Audience Film - 2 DVD set)
Disc One – 1. Dance Me to the End of Love 2. The Future 3. Ain't No Cure for Love 4. Bird on the Wire 5. Everybody Knows 6. Anthem 7. First We Take Manhattan (1) 8. Avalanche 9. Suzanne 10. Tower of Song 11. Democracy 12. Waiting for the Miracle 13. I'm Your Man 14. Joan of Arc 15. Closing Time
Disc Two – 16. Sisters of Mercy 17.Take This Waltz 18. So Long, Marianne 19. Hallelujah 20. First We Take Manhattan (2) 21. I Tried to Leave You 22. One of Us Cannot Be Wrong

I myself have the audio on this concert listed as:

10th May 1993 – Royal Albert Hall, London
1. Dance Me to the End of Love 2. The Future 3. Ain't No Cure for Love 4. Bird on the Wire 5. Everybody Knows 6. Anthem 7. First We Take Manhattan (1)
8. Avalanche 9. Suzanne 10. Tower of Song 11. Democracy 12. Waiting for the Miracle 13. I'm Your Man 14. Joan of Arc 15. Closing Time
16. Sisters of Mercy 17. Take This Waltz 18. Hallelujah 19. A Singer must Die 20. So Long, Marianne
21. I Tried to Leave You 22. First We Take Manhattan (2) 23. One of Us Cannot Be Wrong

Vicomte, neither one has Chelsea Hotel no 2 mentioned so I’m not sure if it has been missed or what.
There is major banter between Leonard and the audience before "I’m Your Man" -

People were asking him to sing these songs:
Leonard says, “what is that, Que Sera Sera, I love that song, so happy I wrote it back in the fifties”. “Blowin’ In The Wind, yeah, another one of my favourites”. “Help me friends, Irish Eyes Are Smiling, yes, I love it, I love it, I love that song”. “There’s a certain moment you know just before the....” Audience calling out. Leonard says, “Like A Man, yeah”. Someone then shouts out “Joan Of Arc”. Numerous male and female calling out. Leonard replies with, “Oh thank you friends for reminding me of my, past”. Laughter and numerous calling out again. He then spontaneously starts singing, “You take the high road, and I’ll take the low road and I’ll be in Scotland before you, and me and my true love will never meet again, on the bonnie, bonnie lochs of Loch Lomond”. Much clapping. Leonard says, “I was in a very dark mood when I wrote that song”. Much clapping again. Leonard says” then there was that song” and starts singing again, “rule Britannia, will Britannia rule the waves, Britons never ever, never shall” speaks, “ah I was in such an awkward mood”, sings, “in days of yore, from Britain’s shore, Wolf the doubtless hero came, and planted firm Britannia’s flag on Canada’s fair domain”. Much laughter and clapping. Calling out again from the audience. Leonard says. “ah I love those songs, I love those songs you know. I had, I had such respect for England, I still do”. Laughter. “And Incidentally, and incidentally friends, I’ve been observing your ordeal from a distance and I think you owe the Queen an apology”. Laughter and clapping. Calling out again. Leonard says, “I’m sorry”. Calling out again. Leonard says,” If I have been neglecting you, if I have been neglecting you in any sense, I offer my profound apology”. Female voice calling out. Leonard says,” say that again”. She calls out again, laughter from the audience. Leonard says, “I don’t know exactly what you said but it sound like an intriguing proposal”. Laughter and clapping from the audience.
He then starts the song with the words, “If you want a boxer, I'll step into the ring for you, If you want a lover, I examine every inch of you." Laughter. Leonard says, "I've been singing to you all night long". Laughter. Leonard says, "You know why, I'm your man". Laughter. Song I'm Your Man starts.

I thought posting this would bring back some memories of the concert for those of you who were there. I found it interesting to hear him sing parts of those ‘other songs’. He especially growls his way through Loch Lomond with mucho gusto!

Bev

EDIT: Christmas Day is over here in Australia but I hope you are all enjoying the day in the UK and Europe and still to be in USA and Canada
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:36 pm

Such a WONDERFUL Account, Ruth!!! What a pleasure for those who were there and witnessed this banter!

A warm welcome from me, too, denise. It sounds as though you already know Wijbe and Willy.
You definitely go far back to much earlier times of sharing.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Davido

Post by Davido » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:47 pm

There were definitely 2 RAH shows on 10th & 11th May 1993. I wasn't present at either one of them, unfortunately , but I have the recordings.
The 'hypocrite' call is news to me - but, as you said, Chelsea Hotel #2 was not performed.
You can check the setlists etc here:
http://www.leonardcohenlive.com/
and the 1993 tour shows are here:
http://www.leonardcohenlive.com/concerts/1993.htm

- Dave
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:14 pm

B4real
Vicomte, neither one has Chelsea Hotel no 2 mentioned so I’m not sure if it has been missed or what.
There is major banter between Leonard and the audience before "I’m Your Man" -
Yes, Bev, you are right. I made 2 calls which proceeded to make me feel rather stupid!! (not hard these days!) It happened during the 1988 I'm your Man tour (still at the RAH) and one of them tells me it was not long after after the start of the second half. So I hope I'm getting closer to the answer to my questions :lol:

Do you have a record of this one? Fingers crossed we are not dreaming all this :lol:

Thanks for letting me know that it wasn't 1993.

I bow to those who remember all these things, hell, I can't even remember where I sat in 1970 during IOW for Leonard but I have to admit, on this occasion, I was there for The Who, the night before ;-)

Davido and Bev, we were at one those two nights but at the moment we are in England and the programme and tickets are back in France, so neither of us to be honest, can be positive of the date of the 1993 gig we were at but I bet it was good and for sure, neither of us, or two of our friends can remember the "chat" during, or before I'm your Man but that is 17 years ago and much has happened in the World since then ;-) ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Thank you all for your your replys, cannot believe I started such a debate by mentioning I were at RAH in 1993. I have a recording of the concerts, but without listening to it again, I cannnot remember Chelsea Hotel being sung nor any one shouting hypocrite at Leonard, I remember when he sang Democracy it just blew me away and everytime I listen to it, even all these years later, it take's me back to that night. When I met him that night he asked me would I marry him of course I said yes, but alas, he had so many to speak to that night, so he move on and forgot about me, but I forgive him. Thank You for the welcome and letting me into the fold. :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:56 pm

Not many can make that claim, Denise... even if he said it in jest and did move on.
You clearly had a lovely connection.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:32 am

Yes I was very lucky how it all came about getting the After Concert Drink pass, I still have the pass it because I refuse to let then keep it, Plus Photo's of Leonard and I, w hich the Sony people took, Plus Leonard giveing me a big hug, and saying `Ahh this is so good`. Yes I was very very lucky, once in a life time thing. :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:58 am

Can you scan and post the photo for us to see here? [Or personally will do... I'm open to an email.] It's such a lovely encounter filled with good energy.

Don't blame you on keeping the pass... don't these folks understand how important these things are ;-) ?
~ Oscar Wilde
B4real

Post by B4real » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:01 am

Firstly, Thanks Dave for that info, I forgot to look there :razz:

Secondly, did you know that I’m Your Man started off as a song called “I Cried Enough For You”. It was related to a version of “Waiting For The Miracle”. The rhyme scheme was developed by toeing the line with that musical version but as Leonard said, it didn’t work.

Thirdly, back to Chelsea Hotel no2
Vicomte wrote:Do you have a record of this one? Fingers crossed we are not dreaming all this
Vicomte - I do have an audio of the RAH London concert on 30th May 1988. The audience was not at all noisy or raucous as he was speaking. The atmosphere was calm. Leonard only spoke about how he came to meet Janis Joplin and write Chelsea Hotel no2.

There were three concerts in London at that time; two more on the following continuous nights of 31st May and 1st June (the latter is my birthday!) so I feel that your noisy audience member must have been at either of these two concerts. I don’t have the audio from either to confirm it. Dave probably has.

And fourthly, but certainly not lastly - Denise such wonderful memories for you!!

Bev
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:22 pm

To lizzytysh I will get my son to scan my photos, I would not know how, plus I don't have a printer /scanner I will get him to post it to your E mail, That if I can do it, It is no use telling me your Email is open unless you tell me how, I have only just learned how to switch on the laptop 2 months ago I'm only use to pen and paper envelopes and stamps. :?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Ha, you remind me of me in that, denise, though you've been more of a hold-out. I got a computer in 2000 and it sat inside the box for an entire year before I took it out to hook it up for use. Everything I've learned since has been strictly on a need-to-know basis [yet, even then, it's not necessarily been remembered ;-) ]. I'll PM you with my email, so it'll all be in place for you, once this task is accomplished. The PMs can be found by looking at the top of any given screen to inside the parentheses that immediately follow "User Control Panel" ~ if you click on that section, it will take you to your Private Messages. That line is found beneath what's in Bold ~ "Board index < General < Comments & Questions" on this particular page.

I don't have a scanner, either, so would be in exactly the same position as you in doing that... though, I've found I can do it at work.

~ Lizzy

Okay. Now I've sent it to you both ways... PM and email. As I said, not sure which of my emails the email will come from, though. I don't mean to be oversimplifying when I break down how to get to your PMs, but I've encountered people new to this online world, who had PMs waiting for them, but had never noticed the notification that they did. So, just not taking that chance :) .
Last edited by lizzytysh on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”