solos on Bird on the wire put in the Blu-Ray Songs from the

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
cohensongs

solos on Bird on the wire put in the Blu-Ray Songs from the

Post by cohensongs » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Sorry my English is bad

on the song Bird on the wire recorded to the Clyde Auditorium Glasgow Scotland in 2008
the solo of Bob Metzger on lead guitar and Dino Solo are fantastic
but for me it's not the really sound who was performed in this show that is
put in the Blu-Ray Songs from the road
I think this 2 solos was realized in studio

because in any other show they are made a same fantastic melody

what do you things about this ?
somebody was present at this show and who as buy the Blu-Ray can confirm this ?

Thanks

in French

dans la chanson Bird on the wire enregistrée au Clyde Auditorium Glasgow en Ecosse en 2008
les solo de Bob Metzgler à la guitare et de Dino Solo au saxophone sont fantastiques
mais pour moi ce ne sont pas vraiment les vrais sons qu'ils on joués à ce spectacle
qui on eté insérés dans la version mise dans le Blu-Ray Songs from the road
je pense que ces 2 solos on etés enregistrés en studio
parce-que dans aucun autre show ils on joué de la même maniére une si fantastique melodie
peut-être que quelqu'un qui était présent à ce show et qui a acheté le Blu-Ray peut le confirmer ?

merci
qu'en pensez-vous
LisaLCFan

Re: solos on Bird on the wire put in the Blu-Ray Songs from the

Post by LisaLCFan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:55 am

What an odd question (no offence, but really!)! These are amazing, exceptionally talented musicians, capable of playing the exact same melodies more than once. Leonard Cohen and the people he has working with him have great integrity, so I can't imagine why you would think that they would dub a studio recording of solos into a live performance. The choice of recordings for this blu-ray were made by a man going through dozens of live performances and choosing those that he thought were the best, and so your concern/question is inconceivable to me.
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 pm

hello cohensongs.

The practise of re-recording, or dubbing, certain parts of a live recording back in the studio is very common, from the era of vinyl to CD to DVD to BluRay.

I can assure you, however, that this is not the case with the two solos you mention. Just watch the BluRay - virtually all of the solos, both Bob's and Dino's, are shown. It's completely obvious that Bob's finger movements and neck positions are playing what we hear; Dino's finger movement and breath also creates what we hear.

Both Bob and Dino are great improvisors. In the 6 shows I attended, plus the two DVDs, and the hundreds of YouTube videos I've watched, I can honestly say they never play the same thing twice. Bob's solos often have the same basic feel, but Dino plays right from his gut (or heart) and completely in the moment. In Dino's case, I don't think one single note is pre-meditated, except that he seems like one who would meditate (just not pre-meditate, as that's not living in the moment!).
cohensongs

Post by cohensongs » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:35 am

thanks for your answers
I think in BluRay it's the best solos that they are made on the tour

Return to “Comments & Questions”