Cohen in Eminem style

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
peter danielsen

Cohen in Eminem style

Post by peter danielsen »

It would be great if Cohen had a record produced like the Eminem record "Eminem show".
Now there might be some Cohen fans who would feel that Cohen differ from guys like Eminem. If thats the case they should read Cohens ealier stuff like The Collection of poetry "death of a ladies man" or a poem like "French and English" or even the lyrics for the song "the future".

Cohen should get a real hot rap producer and make a record that would kick to the whole damn world of nice.
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

Interesting idea. Whatever happened it couldn't sound as bad as Ten New Songs.

p.
George.Wright

Cohen and Eminem

Post by George.Wright »

Good idea, Peter. I had made the suggestion of a Cohen and Eminem duet on an earlier thread. It would without doubt work.
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Sharon has imbued Ten New Songs with some interesting rhythms, if it's the rhythm you were speaking of, Georges. Lyrics about killing one's mother, etc. don't speak Cohen to me at all.....regardless of all his earlier poetry and writing.
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

It was the style of delivery i was talking about, not the content of the song..........which i hope would be Leonard's
Georges
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I don't think Ten New Songs are bad, quite contrary. I like it so much that I think it's one of best LC's records.
Anyway, I read that Leonard could have done something like Santana's Supernatural, or Tom Jones return album. I remember that Mark Knopfler was announced to play guitar on Ten New Songs, and the people like Tricky and some more great LC fans was interested in contributing that album.
Also, LC's songs can be easy rapped, he is often almost recitating them.
Did you here his performance Elvis' Rolls Royce on album by Was (Not Was) in 1990?
peter danielsen

Rock, love and understanding

Post by peter danielsen »

Cohen has some songs that are very sensitive and full of compassion. But anyone who has read his stuff through the years knows that he is a journalist who describes the landscapes of the heart. Those landsscapes can be very grim and awfull, but in my opinion a reel poet describes the world truthfully and do not just say "love, love, love".
It seems that some Cohen-fans wants to describe cohen as a writer of sweet love, and if it gets them through the day I guess its fine. But I believe they are ignorering the main themes in Cohens work, that the heart is the playingground for lust, hatred, anger, despair, violence, and...of course hope,longing and love.

Enimen has correctly written a song about killing his mother. That seems to be more that some can bare. But I believe lots of people have had those feeling about their parents. Some get to forgive them, some don't. To describe these feelings, as they are, is in my opinion just as much poetry as anything. We should not accept a "jazz police" who wants to decide what the content of poetry can be. These people seem closer to the fascist-party than to Christ.

Again read Cohens earlier work, or read the Lyrics for the future, the words themselves talk against any romantic vision of love, and of the human heart.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Peter, I totally agree. I think love isn't the first thing when I speak about Leonard's poetry and songs at all. I like very much his poetry, especially Death Of A Lady's Man. Just now I am reading Book Of Mercy and translating it into Croatian a littler.
All good things
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Leonard's second album was songs of Love and Hate, so any fans who go round with the idea that Leonard is an old romantic are seriously misguided. The poet's playground is the rich abundance of human feelings and psyche, that surround us all......................some don't see it! Leonard's work is as hard hitting as Eminem and he packages it much better. A duet of the two would be very intresting..............
Georges
smile

Post by smile »

sorry many won`t like me for this yuk!! at the thought :(
Life is love so treasure every day.........
Kush

Post by Kush »

Hmm...now I have to hear Eminem. Was it LC who said about Eminem that there has to be something interesting in anybody who is controversial.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It could easily be Leonard making that comment. However, finding an element of interest in someone and doing a duo are quite apart. I'm not sure if it was my comment or that of others that Peter picked up on. However, just in case it was mine, I'll clarify that I definitely do not feel that Leonard's songs are all about love, love, love. Quite the contrary. However, the example I used was not to suggest that if Leonard's not singing about murdering of one's mother, then he must be singing about love, love, love.

When Eminem was referred to, his lyrics are what came to mind. Those, not his rhythms, are what he's known for. There are many [well, I'd have to say that most any] artists, with whom Leonard would duo would produce an interesting result. A rap rhythm wouldn't require Eminem. I say keep the rhythm, leave Eminem out. However, Leonard doing rap.....well, hmm....interesting. Leonard would make an interesting bridge in a rap song. As much as I truly like the syncopation of the voices in rap, I won't feel deprived, living without Leonard singing in that arena, alone or duo. However, if it be his Will..... :wink:

All good things,
Lizzytysh
neveranygood

Cohen in Eminem Style

Post by neveranygood »

Hi Elizabeth,

You mentioned "Leonard would make an interesting bridge in a rap song"

Well, you know me. I think the most interesting bridge in a rap song would be the Chappaquidick Bridge, with Ted Kennedy driving a bus load of rappers across it. :lol: Bob
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ooh, ouch! Guess ya' don't care too much it, eh? Do/did you at least like the Kennedys? I was being generous offering up Leonard as a bridge, as it was. Collaborations are pretty personal stuff....held to pretty high standards, as a rule, by those engaging.
~Lizzytysh
Linda

Post by Linda »

I had to wait thirty years to discover LC, listening to all kinds of bad, bad music, please don't mess your music up LC!
Linda

Return to “Comments & Questions”