You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Cheshire gal

Re: You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …

Post by Cheshire gal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:16 am

I know I am hooked on Leonard Cohen because I cannot go to bed at night without watching the whole Live in London concert. It is wonderful.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:30 pm

I have begun to think that, even before the 2010 Tour opens, the this movement has reached the critical mass to meet criteria as a Fandemic. In any case, I have begun collecting signs & symptoms for You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If ... - Part 3
Rain

Post by Rain » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Dr. H Guy,

After viewing your new list of symptoms for the first time, moments ago, I am HONORED that I'm the first one mentioned, being the Kentucky fan who travels all the way to Montreal for the sole purpose of seeing the Cohen exhibit......even MORE shocking.....my hubby and I got passports to do it! Yep! We've never had occasion to need them, not even planning on leaving the country.....until now. (Well, you didn't USED to need a passport for Canada!)
So, for the record, I'm not stalking Mr. Cohen, just a fan who happens to be stuck in KY) :oops:

Dr. H, feel free to use me for your hillbilly Cohen fan entertainment......I love the site......
Last edited by Rain on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holydove

Post by holydove » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:50 pm

I never saw the show/movie Brigadoon (& I don't particularly like 'musicals'), but having read that Leonard said (in 1970) that the Madison (U of W) campus was like "Brigadoon with a touch of Havana" - I have now ordered the movie from Netflix, so I can see exactly what he meant.

Also, there is a thread where it's mentioned that Anjani said that Leonard liked the show Mad Men; I never saw that either, but now I ordered that one from Netflix too.

So I guess now my movie/TV program watching is also being directed, not only according to movies/programs in which Leonard or his music have made an appearance, but by things that Leonard has said, or programs I heard he liked (just thought I might add a little more "grist for the mill")
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:40 am

I LOVE your 5-year-old daughter & Moscow story, Sochijava 8) . I didn't see [yet] who commented regarding their 4-year-old daughter, but what a WONDERFUL description of Leonard!!! How could HE not love it :D !?!

And, holydove, you might as well order Night Porter, too, then... as long as you're at it :) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Rain wrote:Dr. H Guy,

After viewing your new list of symptoms for the first time, moments ago, I am HONORED that I'm the first one mentioned, being the Kentucky fan who travels all the way to Montreal for the sole purpose of seeing the Cohen exhibit......even MORE shocking.....my hubby and I got passports to do it! Yep! We've never had occasion to need them, not even planning on leaving the country.....until now. (Well, you didn't USED to need a passport for Canada!)
So, for the record, I'm not a stalking Mr. Cohen, just a fan who happens to be stuck in KY) :oops:

Dr. H, feel free to use me for your hillbilly Cohen fan entertainment......I love the site......
Rain - Thanks. I've credited your wonderful manifestation of Cohen fan symptomatology to you (and added the passport acquisition).

For the record, however, hillbillies from the Ozarks (like me) refer to Kentucky as "back east."

Allan
~AKA DrHGuy at Heck Of A Guy
Amrei

Post by Amrei » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi Allan,

we used to use Leonard´s songs as lullabies, especially on longer car trips to Germany visiting family. So before my children could speak properly, they could already sing the songs. They were at the concerts in Copenhagen, Hamburg and Berlin (aged 4, 5 and 12 when we started, now 6, 8 and 14) and they know all the texts.

Would that make me a person with CPD or them? :roll: :oops:

Seriously worried, Amrei ;-)
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Amrei wrote:Hi Allan,

we used to use Leonard´s songs as lullabies, especially on longer car trips to Germany visiting family. So before my children could speak properly, they could already sing the songs. They were at the concerts in Copenhagen, Hamburg and Berlin (aged 4, 5 and 12 when we started, now 6, 8 and 14) and they know all the texts.

I am afraid it looks like one of the many cases of inter-generational transmission (in other words, you've all got it but it's your fault :D :D :D ). I sympathise as I seem to have passed it on to my 13 year old son!!!!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Yes Ameri it is genetic. Unfortunately if there is someone in the family with this condition and it becomes chronic it can be passed to the immediate family and sometimes if you are particularly infectious to others.

This has happened in my family although there are some with natural immunity who can just shrug off the episodes. Unfortunately even with immunity there is always the risk of cross contamination and sometimes even those with natural immunity may eventually succumb to this condition. It does not pay to be complacent about this as it can be a chronic life long condition and can often affect the sufferer without warning.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
holydove

Post by holydove » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Lizzy, thank you for the recommendation, I made a note to order Night Porter; if I may ask, what did Leonard say about that one? (I'm assuming you don't mean Night Magic)
Rain

Post by Rain » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:40 pm

For the record, however, hillbillies from the Ozarks (like me) refer to Kentucky as "back east."

Allan
~AKA DrHGuy at Heck Of A Guy[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now THAT is funny........would make a great Jeff Foxworthy thing......"You might be a redneck if you refer to Kentucky as 'back east'.
Rain

Post by Rain » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:55 pm

[quote="Amrei"]Hi Allan,

we used to use Leonard´s songs as lullabies,

Man, I'm glad somebody else brought this up! YES, Leonard Cohen's voice can be used as a lullaby. I've gone to sleep with him several times (sounds risque, but it's not meant to) with a CD of him either reading his poetry or singing and I can fall asleep in no time. And, to a non-Cohen fan, that would sound like you're being bored to sleep but we all know that's a ridiculous notion. Mr. Cohen's voice is so soothing, I liken it to the act of placing a baby, puppy, kitten or whatever you're trying to lull to sleep against your chest, so it can hear your heartbeat. It works! LC's voice can have the same effect. While the sexy sensuousness of his chest- deep rumble is not lost on me (Lord knows it can keep you AWAKE as well) that drumming baritone-nearly-bass is as soothing as hearing your mother's heartbeat in the womb...seriously, the man could read the phone book or report the weather and I'd relax instantly. I sometimes wonder if he rocked his own children to sleep like that when they were little...can you imagine?
holydove

Post by holydove » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Rain: I read that when Marianne couldn't get her little boy to go to sleep, Leonard would (successfully, of course) put him to sleep - (that lucky little boy!) - I would venture to guess he must have done the same with his own children.

And Lizzy: I realized that you certainly wouldn't have mixed up Night Porter with Night Magic (sorry about that); and I do have a recollection of Night Porter being mentioned in Nadel's biography - I will go back to the book & try to find what he said. Thanks again for the reminder. . .
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Paul Zagreb wrote:
Amrei wrote:Hi Allan,

I am afraid it looks like one of the many cases of inter-generational transmission (in other words, you've all got it but it's your fault :D :D :D ). I sympathise as I seem to have passed it on to my 13 year old son!!!!
Paul
Yes Ameri it is genetic. Unfortunately if there is someone in the family with this condition and it becomes chronic it can be passed to the immediate family and sometimes if you are particularly infectious to others.

This has happened in my family although there are some with natural immunity who can just shrug off the episodes. Unfortunately even with immunity there is always the risk of cross contamination and sometimes even those with natural immunity may eventually succumb to this condition. It does not pay to be complacent about this as it can be a chronic life long condition and can often affect the sufferer without warning.
Paula
Gracious, now we not only have case studies, but also likely epidemic vectors, genetic markers, documented cross-cultural and intergenerational transmission, immunologic indicators, ...

And it just occurred to me that it might be possible to identify Judy Collins as a cofactor in the initial outbreak. Then there is the Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat Epidemic of 1986.

Yep, I think we're talking major NIH grant.
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:42 pm

DrHGuy wrote:
Yep, I think we're talking major NIH grant.
There is an urgent need to get a multi-country, multi-disciplinary team (you definitely need a sociologist!!!!) together not least because of the imminent start (July in Zagreb if I'm not mistaken) of scattered events at which the disorder may manifest itself in mass proportions ...a large travel grant will be needed I would imagine!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September

Return to “Comments & Questions”