You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
B4real

Re: You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …

Post by B4real » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 pm

Now, I have to be realistic here. Unfortunately, I can’t have Leonard’s old house (I could maybe get a bumper sticker) but I can have his songs.

Look, I am not obsessive compulsive, even though I play the picture game (which I actually blame for the situation I now find myself in) - I did give a “twisted evil” smiley to kaz when he said it would be impossible for me to guess his picture. :roll:

Well, necessity is the mother of invention. I have today completed an up-to-date new song book with lyrics which I have titled “49 Songs”. I have done it to complement my official song/lyric “The Little Black Songbook” with 70 songs in it. You see, I just didn’t have them all. As a LC fan, I feel it was the least I could do so I could always carry ALL his lyrics with me at ALL times.

Here is my book cover:
49-songs-book-w.jpg
Don’t ask how long this has taken me to do (just as well I’m on holidays at the moment). All songs with lyrics are neatly arranged in perfect alphabetical order, index pages, varying styles and formatting with columns and numbered with footers. I really didn’t want to admit to having done this, not even to myself and I fear it may be used in evidence against me. But, as you all know, the way to a cure is to first admit that you have a problem (secretly I don’t have one because I had such fun putting this together). ;-)

Even though this labour of love has been completed to the ‘enth’ degree, I have just realised as I am typing this that there now has to be another song book still to be written – the song lyrics which are not official like the ones on Rare Live Songs and what about the different verses sung in live concerts, not to mention songs on “The Other Songs of Leonard Cohen Vol 1 and 2”…..I was feeling so proud of myself for finally accomplishing a major feat and now, here I go again. See, I told you I wasn’t OC......and if anyone tells me I’ve missed a song…..agh! agh!

Oh, and what about a book including all the songs Leonard has written but has not sung….somebody stop me now….
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Amrei

Post by Amrei » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:18 pm

But this looks wonderful .... and of course, we won't stop you ... :D but happily beg you for copies :razz: ;-)

... or maybe offer som help :roll: :D .... definitely not critisize!

It is really a nice idea!

Amrei
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi B4real,

You could make a fortune simply selling copies to CPD'd forum members! :D Of course, we'd then have to find a home for it amongst the 500 LC cd's we've accumulated (both legit albums, DrHGuys offerings, and concerts dating back to 1969); every book of poetry or prose that Leonard has written; all the autobiographies written about Leonard....not even to mention all the Mojo, Uncut and Newsweek magazines we have stacked up, all the official and unofficial dvds we've accumulated, plus items purchased from every concert attended! ;-) 8) Thank goodness photos are stored in computers now!

Anyhow...put my name on the list! :D

ps...and don't stop!!!
Rain

Post by Rain » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Concerning the bumper sticker....I got this thing several months ago...the seller is still up on ebay. I typed in 'Warning Driver Under the Influence of bumper sticker' and they have one for about every band out there. Didn't see Leonard Cohen this time around, though, maybe it's sporadic. Seems to be the same seller, based in the Ukraine! Hopefully, I didn't do anything illegal by posting this info.....the moderators can take it out, if needed. :? I hope I didn't do anything illegal by buying it, either!
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:33 pm

ladydi wrote:Hi B4real,

You could make a fortune simply selling copies to CPD'd forum members! :D Of course, we'd then have to find a home for it amongst the 500 LC cd's we've accumulated (both legit albums, DrHGuys offerings, and concerts dating back to 1969); every book of poetry or prose that Leonard has written; all the autobiographies written about Leonard....not even to mention all the Mojo, Uncut and Newsweek magazines we have stacked up, all the official and unofficial dvds we've accumulated, plus items purchased from every concert attended! ;-) 8) Thank goodness photos are stored in computers now!

Anyhow...put my name on the list! :D

ps...and don't stop!!!
That's right - "Don't stop, please don't ever stop"! ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
DrHGuy

Posted: Signs You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan – Part 3

Post by DrHGuy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:08 pm

I just posted Signs You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan – Part 3 at http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/04/29/signs ... an-part-3/
Rain

Post by Rain » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Dr.H,

OMG! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't write....or breathe......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Whew! Not too bad this time - guilty of only one pleasure 8) :lol:

Thanks for the laugh Alan!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Paula

Post by Paula » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:52 pm

It is all so true and so bloody funny. Dr H could you make this into a small booklet I can carry with me and show to people who are bemused by my behaviour.

The strange thing is althought some of these observations are concerning indivduals none of us find anything strange about travelling really long distances or spending our savings on tickets or trying to get Dino's socks we just think it is perfectly normal and can't understand why anyone would think otherwise. :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
holydove

Post by holydove » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:54 pm

DrH, you've done it yet AGAIN!! Thank you for the very therapeutic laugh!

And I love that picture of the leather mask - way cool - have to find one of those!! (Maybe you can add that to your CPD merchandise)
B4real

Post by B4real » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:23 am

Dr H,

Oh, it's wonderful to know I'm not alone and so very happy with my disorder :lol:

Yeah, and why don't you make a booklet on CPD - I could always give you a hand on setting it up ;-)

I love your site, it always brightens up my day :D

but I still want Leonard's house :cry:

About my book "49 Songs", it is a one off handmade one - not commercially viable unfortunately for now but thanks everyone for your interest, humour and encouraging feedback.

Edit: I have just this minute bought the winning lottery ticket for this Saturday to buy Leonard's house...what do you mean .......of course it's going to win :razz: ;-)
Last edited by B4real on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:03 am

WONDERFUL, Allan. I've commented there, on your blog.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:21 am

B4real wrote: Edit: I have just this minute bought the winning lottery ticket for this Saturday to buy Leonard's house...what do you mean .......of course it's going to win :razz: ;-)
Would there be a constant open house if you did win it :D Could we take turns sleeping in his bedroom :D :D :D

PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:37 am

Dr. H., that is so sweet – you've got all of us in there somewhere.

(Paula – drink up!)

8)
B4real

Post by B4real » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:01 am

MaryB wrote:Would there be a constant open house if you did win it Could we take turns sleeping in his bedroom

PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN, PLEASE WIN

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES :lol:

but which of the bedrooms do you think was his? I have a feeling it was no 17 in the slide presentation ;-) Mary I think we are on the wrong thread!!!

Return to “Comments & Questions”