The Bells

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Geoffrey

Re: The Bells

Post by Geoffrey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:38 am

John Etherington wrote:Here's a treat for Buffy fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP9BPhPmHF4
she is looking at the texts on a prompter, is she not? i most certainly believe so.
TineDoes

Post by TineDoes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:04 pm

A.Sukitu wrote:Buffy Sainte-Marie is very wonderful - have you heard/seen her singing: "God is Alive, Magic is Afoot"? Absolutely beautiful. (When I read Beautiful Losers, I saw her as Catherine Tekakwitha. Buffy is touring and singing - do go to see her. Her singing is pure and a soulful shade of blue.
Just came accross this thread today. Thanks Jeff for this song. I had nog heard it before. I've been listening to Buffy St. Marie since the 70's. Her singing is indeed pure and touching. ''God is Alive, Magic is Afoot' is great. She does 'Bird on the Wire' also. Sukitu you did a wonderful job of writing out the words of The Bells. I was listening to the song number of times and it gets better every time I hear it. I heard a few words/phrases just slightly different to you.

The Bells
I’m writing this to say goodbye
To what you never should reply
That of all the words and demons that you leave
I stand entirely below

That is to say your loving me
Would be your only crime.

And isn’t it a pity
You can see your duty clearly
In the midst of some great city
In the midst of all this love

Many men have loved the bells
You fastened to the rein same as in take this longing
And everyone who wanted you
Found what she would always want again.

And I’d have been the dust for you
And I’d have been the grass for you
But you tell me with your beauty
In the midst of New York City
In the midst of all my love.

The body like a search light
And the prison of my need
Oh, I need to share your loneliness
And I demand your greed.
And everything depends upon
How near you sleep to me.
And isn’t it a pity
In the midst of New York City
In the midst of all our love.

I will be writing this
When you are so very young again
That the forests that you burned away,
And then sail away, are truly, truly gone.
I will be waiting
Where a star (fishes: touches or kisses?) your hair
And the jewels for your shoulders
Fall through the walls of sand
Fall through the walls of sand
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Geoffrey - re: your earlier post, I suspect that American Indians have little concern for intellect and sophistication. However, when the electric grid crashes and a deadly virus destroys the world's computers (2012?), then the qualities of the Indians will give them a distinct advantage . Meanwhile, I would be surprised if Buffy's eyes were directed at anything other than the Moon itself!

All good things, John E
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:24 am

John Etherington wrote:
>I suspect that American Indians have little concern for intellect and sophistication. However, when the electric grid crashes and a deadly virus destroys the world's computers (2012?), then the qualities of the Indians will give them a distinct advantage.

well, i had not given consideration to ethnic background, and believe that it is indelicate to make general statements about an entire race (or tribe) of people. do you really think it is an important issue here, john? i had judged this singer's merit on the quality of her voice alone.

>I would be surprised if Buffy's eyes were directed at anything other than the Moon itself!

she was in a studio.

>All good things

and to you.
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:50 pm

TineDoes -
thanks!
I think that Buffy is very beautiful and I love her singing this song; I love her voice. (A personal thing - everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Thus thank goodness for on and off switches).
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm going to chime in on this thread (no pun intended ;-) ) As for Buffy St.Marie, I feel that her voice is, shall we say an "acquired taste"? She has a great deal of tremolo when she sings. I was a big fan of hers years ago and I still like listening to her on occasion, but her voice is not one I could listen to for hours on end the way I can with Leonard. She certainly recorded many fine songs. I'm not familiar with everything she wrote, but those songs I have heard I find very well done. Basically, I like her work but only in small doses. I can't say I've ever heard her do anything I haven't liked...just that I get "tired" of her voice quickly.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:18 pm

A.Sukitu wrote:
>Her singing is pure . . .

Lilifyre wrote:
>I feel that her voice is, shall we say an "acquired taste"? She has a great deal of tremolo when she sings. [snip] I like her work but only in small doses. [snip] I get "tired" of her voice quickly.

'pure' is most certainly not the word i would have chosen. because of it's jarring vibrato sound a discerning ear can tolerate only two or three minutes at a time before feelings of unpleasantness are experienced. voices in the genre of popular music that may be described as 'pure'? listen to joan baez, anjani thomas, sarah brightman, whitney houston, celine dion, etc. janis joplin's singing was the opposite of pure; it was 100% raucus and horrible. but she had an energy in her voice so dynamic that one was compelled to pay attention - an absolutely essential quality if the artiste can't sing. buffy, unfortunately, is neither a dynamic performer nor was she "born with the gift of a golden voice" to which leonard rightly makes claim. but of course working class ignoramuses who lack any capacity to understand the concept of good taste can enjoy what cultured people regard as awful - that is a fact i understand and respect.
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Geoffrey, I for one, do not appreciate your last statement: "but of course working class ignoramuses who lack any capacity to understand the concept of good taste can enjoy what cultured people regard as awful - that is a fact i understand and respect."

We certainly can disagree on this forum without being disagreeable. There is no need for name calling or claiming that someone is "uncultured" simply because he/she finds one voice pleasing when you find it "awful". We each have different tastes and that's as it should be. Personally, I find the singer, Antony, to have an unpleasant quality to his voice. Others, Leonard included, find his voice very pleasing. Your attitude, however, appears to be totally lacking in both understanding and respect. A difference of opinion or preference for one voice over another does not equal "culture" on the part of one or "ignorance" on the part of the other.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:38 pm

Lilifyre wrote:
>There is no need for name calling . . .

and yet you hesitate not to call me "disagreeable" (definition = 'unpleasant and repellent')

>. . . simply because he/she finds one voice pleasing when you find it "awful".

you called it "an acquired taste" that your ears can stand "only in small doses", whereas i was slightly more honest and spoke "the awful truth" - as leonard calls it in 'closing time'.

>I get "tired" of her voice quickly.

like me, you quickly want to turn it off. tell me about it.

>I find the singer, Antony, to have an unpleasant quality to his voice.

people with homophobia often call his voice "unpleasant" (definition = 'offensive and objectionable').

>Leonard . . . finds his voice very pleasing.

good for him, so do i.

>Your attitude . . . appears to be totally lacking in both understanding and respect.

so what did you think when leonard called writers who try to sound like charlie manson as 'lousy little poets'?
st theresa

Post by st theresa » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3l5rNTOaM

She seemed to have a great appreciation for our man. She calls him a mentor and a poet first. Geoffrey the vibrato in Buffy's voice comes from the culture of which she is a part. Like all other cultures, the music may not be what you are used to. I have some difficulty listening to Tibetan throat singers, but that's just me. I greatly admire Buffy St Marie for being one of the first aboriginal women to draw on her cultural roots in her music and to proudly present it. Rather than hiding who she was. I have found that people who need to feel superior in any way, are often trying to hide something about themselves.
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:48 am

Very nicely put, St.Theresa. Not everyone agrees on what is pleasing to the ear. Each different culture has its own norms. As they say, "Beauty is in the eye (or in this case, the ear) of the beholder. There is no need to disparage one culture in order to promote another.

I come to this forum to share ideas and opinions. I come to learn from others and hopefully to teach a bit along the way. I don't always agree with what others have to say, but I do try to respect their opinions. I do not come here to bash anyone's beliefs or opinions. I do not come here to fight or engage in flame wars. There are many other venues on the internet where such things go on and if I choose to engage in such activities, I can go there. I certainly do not come here to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent...I can do that on any number of political websites ;-) :lol:

The issue of one singer's voice over another is simply a matter of opinion. Everyone has one. They need not be the same for intelligent people to discuss them. As you said, "...people who need to feel superior in any way, are often trying to hide something about themselves." I've noticed that those who feel the need to belittle other people's opinions usually are somewhat doubtful about their own. The only person one needs to prove something to, is oneself.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
TineDoes

Post by TineDoes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:44 pm

st theresa wrote: I greatly admire Buffy St Marie for being one of the first aboriginal women to draw on her cultural roots in her music and to proudly present it.
Thank you st theresa for this statement. I'm posting the following link as Buffy St-Marie draws from her Native American roots. She is also involved in Native American issues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_Sainte-Marie

In Dutch there we have a saying 'It is impossible to argue about taste'. And doesn't this thread prove it. No need to get insulting about someone else's likes or dislikes in music!! Lilifyre: well said!!
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013

Return to “Comments & Questions”