Late Discovers of Mr. Cohen

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Vicomtesse

Re: Late Discovers of Mr. Cohen

Post by Vicomtesse » Fri May 28, 2010 1:25 pm

My Mum is continuing to listen to LC whenever she can which is a lot!
She is just a year younger than LC, 'So there's still hope for me' she said. 'I wish that I had learned about him sooner though.'
Cohen is the sort of man that ordinarily sane women (and I suspect a few men) would leave their contented little lives (nice house, nice kids and nice husband) and run off with!
Vicomtesse
Jokapaikanapina

Post by Jokapaikanapina » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:35 pm

First of all, I'm 17, so I probably discovered Leonard at a younger age than most of you. But with Leonard starting his sixth decade in the music business and his seventh as a poet/author, one could say that I've discovered him quite late :D And it's also just sort of fun to reminisce getting into Leonard.

My first memory of Leonard Cohen is hearing my mum listening to Hallelujah and later on me watching the Hallelujah music video (?) on Youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccGz-li_rgM ). Probably about a year later I listened to Various Positions and I recognized most of the songs, thanks to Mum. Every now and then I'd listen to that album. Is was probably 14 at the time and having started from The Beatles and progressing into hard rock I really hadn't come across many intelligent lyrics (well, John Lennon and Macca somewhat) and I was pretty impressed of Leonard complex lyrics and the sincerity of his delivery.

Zoom ahead a year again and I ripped Songs of Leonard Cohen and Various Positions onto my computer and that was when yet another Leonard Cohen fan was born. I made my way through The Future and Ten New Songs and was hungry for more. Even though Various Positions has a pretty "cheesy" 80's production, it was close to my heart because it was my first Leonard CD. But it took me really long to get into I'm Your Man (I actually still don't really enjoy the studio version of the song itself). I remember Mum singing Everybody Knows and being disappointed of the version on the album, though nowadays it's one of my favourite songs of his and the lyrics definately are my favourite ones. Mum still had Songs of Love, New Skin For The Old Seremony and Hate and Dear Heather (another tough one to get into) and Live At London as a DVD. Mum also had the Book Of Longing and in my opinion it's the best poetry ever. It really opened my eyes to lots of things and what poetry really is about and who Leonard is apart from a musician.

We got tickets to the 2010 Helsinki concert and it's gonna happen in about three weeks, I'm so excited. After that I'm going to get the three remaining studio albums and then I've got to move onto the other live albums.
chaplainmom

Post by chaplainmom » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:34 am

I also discovered Leonard a bit later in life...but I have set about catching up! I am still stunned at how his music and poetry speak to me. I wish I had "found" him earlier but I'm grateful that I have him now!
I am really hoping to see him when the new tour comes to north america!

Mary
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:18 am

I discovered LC at 13 when my sister who was 16 at the time received a cassette tape from a German penfriend. How she laughed at the contents and how it killed any romantic fantasies she'd been having about her correspondent. I on the other hand was hooked and soon found my way into the back catalogue which wasn't so big at the time....
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:57 pm

... and here your sister's penfriend was probably hoping it would increase the romantic possibilities. A shame your sister wasn't taken by Cohen, as you were... such a gift to you it became
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Oh, Liz, I agree with what MaryB said in response to you back in 2010. Reading your account about your mother and then your father, too, brought tears to my eyes... and then how peaceful she felt. Just wonderful. so poignant. Is there any way either or both of your parents can go see him on this tour?
~ Oscar Wilde
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:53 am

I am also a late-comer to LC. This is a story that I would not normally share, but for some reason I feel the need now. Sorry, but it is kind of long.
Like many of you, I came of age in the 60’s. The age of Aquarius and all that went along with it. Music surrouned us and I reveled in it. But that is old news. My story starts with my youngest son, Ricky.
He was born in 1985. We shared a love for reading, writing and music. As he grew into a teenager (and Apple developed a music program that even I could navigate) I would download my favorite music and make CD’s for him. He on the other hand would stalk into the room with the latest boot-leg CD exclaiming “Mom, you just gotta hear this!” Then he would sit and watch my reaction. We would have to discuss it and he always wanted my opinion. Loved those times!

Ricky left this world suddenly one early July morning in 2005. Almost 20 years old. On that day-- in that minute -music went out of my life. Music went out of my life for six years. Not that I didn’t listen; I did. But I had the same 6 CD’s in my car stereo for 5 years. You get the picture. On one of those CD’s was my only Leonard Cohen song. Courtsey of the soundtrack from the movie ‘The Wonder Boys’. That song was ‘Waiting for a Miracle’.

One day that song was playing while my husband was in the car and he commented on how much he liked it, saying “When I hear that song I get all kinds of images in my head.” That was a big deal because he is a NPR junkie. Not much for listening to music. That was the summer of 2011. He was heading out of town for 3 days. I was heading across the state the next day expecting to spend 8 hours in the car. The first night he was goneI sat down with iTunes- for the first time in a very long time- and looked up Leonard Cohen. I chose ‘The Essential Leonard Cohen’ and burned it onto 2 CD’s.

I started out the next morning on my journey. Slots 1 & 2 in the cd player were LC. I listened and when the music switched to the 3rd cd (don’t remember who) I promptly switched back to the number 1 slot. I listened to The Essential Leonard Cohen for 8 hours. I have to tell you that it soothed my soul. My heart began to open again on that day. He gave me my music back, and so much more. I guess that was the miracle I was waiting for.
Now when a new box shows up from Amazon and it’s another Leonard Cohen book or somethingI look at Rick (my hubby) sheepishly and shurg. He looks at me and says “I know, he just touches something in your soul.” And yes baby, that he does. Anyway, that is how I came to LC.

A funny aside to the story--Thanks to the ‘Cloud’ with our iPhones everything I purchase on iTunes automatically appears on our phones. Rick came home from his trip and told me he was listening to his 35 songs that he had put on his phone when suddenly out of nowhere this awsome music started showing up. He said ‘Look-- I have 99 songs on this thing now! You have to listen to some of these songs. They are great!” That was fun.
Barbara
we are so lightly here
it is in love that we are born--in love we disappear

Verona 2012, Paris 2012, Detroit 2012, Boston 2012, Miami 2013, New Orleans 2013
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:13 am

Oh, I have to mention one more thing. On September 28 we will be in Paris at the Olympia. It is my Ricky's birthday and I know he will brush by me and give his approval to my choice of music once again. He would be 27.
Barbara
we are so lightly here

Verona 2012, Paris 2012, Detroit 2012, Boston 2012, Miami 2013, New Orleans 2013
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:59 am

Oh, Hydrogal, I am so moved by your story. There is no need to apologize... as I read it, I thought it wasn't long enough... thank you for sharing such a story of depth in your life. I am so very sorry to hear of your dear son's death. Unfathomable. I can understand how you became detached during those years. Just too painful to try to deal with excruciating reminders... even wondering if you were going to make it through at all. Reading that Leonard's words and songs were what brought your heart to open again is so poignant and moving.

I will be in Paris on the 28th, but won't be going to Leonard's concert until the 30th. I'll follow along and watch for meet-ups, anyway, as I would really love to meet you. Yes... for many of us appreciators, Leonard has a path to our souls unshared by others. He walks it alone.

I'm so pleased to see that your husband came into the fold, as well.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:08 am

Hydrogal wrote:I am also a late-comer to LC. This is a story that I would not normally share, but for some reason I feel the need now. Sorry, but it is kind of long.
Like many of you, I came of age in the 60’s. The age of Aquarius and all that went along with it. Music surrouned us and I reveled in it. But that is old news. My story starts with my youngest son, Ricky.
He was born in 1985. We shared a love for reading, writing and music. As he grew into a teenager (and Apple developed a music program that even I could navigate) I would download my favorite music and make CD’s for him. He on the other hand would stalk into the room with the latest boot-leg CD exclaiming “Mom, you just gotta hear this!” Then he would sit and watch my reaction. We would have to discuss it and he always wanted my opinion. Loved those times!

Ricky left this world suddenly one early July morning in 2005. Almost 20 years old. On that day-- in that minute -music went out of my life. Music went out of my life for six years. Not that I didn’t listen; I did. But I had the same 6 CD’s in my car stereo for 5 years. You get the picture. On one of those CD’s was my only Leonard Cohen song. Courtsey of the soundtrack from the movie ‘The Wonder Boys’. That song was ‘Waiting for a Miracle’.

One day that song was playing while my husband was in the car and he commented on how much he liked it, saying “When I hear that song I get all kinds of images in my head.” That was a big deal because he is a NPR junkie. Not much for listening to music. That was the summer of 2011. He was heading out of town for 3 days. I was heading across the state the next day expecting to spend 8 hours in the car. The first night he was goneI sat down with iTunes- for the first time in a very long time- and looked up Leonard Cohen. I chose ‘The Essential Leonard Cohen’ and burned it onto 2 CD’s.

I started out the next morning on my journey. Slots 1 & 2 in the cd player were LC. I listened and when the music switched to the 3rd cd (don’t remember who) I promptly switched back to the number 1 slot. I listened to The Essential Leonard Cohen for 8 hours. I have to tell you that it soothed my soul. My heart began to open again on that day. He gave me my music back, and so much more. I guess that was the miracle I was waiting for.
Now when a new box shows up from Amazon and it’s another Leonard Cohen book or somethingI look at Rick (my hubby) sheepishly and shurg. He looks at me and says “I know, he just touches something in your soul.” And yes baby, that he does. Anyway, that is how I came to LC.

A funny aside to the story--Thanks to the ‘Cloud’ with our iPhones everything I purchase on iTunes automatically appears on our phones. Rick came home from his trip and told me he was listening to his 35 songs that he had put on his phone when suddenly out of nowhere this awsome music started showing up. He said ‘Look-- I have 99 songs on this thing now! You have to listen to some of these songs. They are great!” That was fun.
Dear Barbara,

You had me in tears and smiles.

In tears, because of the loss of a beloved child that you connected with on one level because of the music. My deepest, deepest sympathy. We lost a beloved fiance (at the age of 24 after an illness) of our son three years ago - the pain never goes away, it softens, but slowly becomes replaced with more and more wonderful memories.

In smiles, because, like most of here on the forum, we have found solace in the words and music of LC.

We also will be in Paris attending the concert on the 30th. I hope that at some point we will be able to meet the wonderful parents of this extraordinary young man.

Warmest regards,
Mary & George
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:17 am

Hi Hydrogal, your story has moved me to tears. I've no children so cannot imagine the pain of losing your son but I can relate to how you describe the effects of Leonard's songs. I was going through a difficult time in my life when I discovered his music and the impact on my life and my outlook on life is immense. Unfortunately I won't be in Paris but I know you will have a wonderful time.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:56 pm

For my part, I discovered Leonard Cohen, back in the days of Songs From A Room, but living my own life and rearing a family kind of got in the way. Now that I am retired and have more free time I am doing a lot of catching up. Very enjoyable it is too.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:28 pm

lizzytysh wrote:Oh, Hydrogal, I am so moved by your story. There is no need to apologize... as I read it, I thought it wasn't long enough... thank you for sharing such a story of depth in your life. I am so very sorry to hear of your dear son's death. Unfathomable. I can understand how you became detached during those years. Just too painful to try to deal with excruciating reminders... even wondering if you were going to make it through at all. Reading that Leonard's words and songs were what brought your heart to open again is so poignant and moving.

I will be in Paris on the 28th, but won't be going to Leonard's concert until the 30th. I'll follow along and watch for meet-ups, anyway, as I would really love to meet you. Yes... for many of us appreciators, Leonard has a path to our souls unshared by others. He walks it alone.

I'm so pleased to see that your husband came into the fold, as well.

~ Lizzy
Lizzy,
Thank you for your kind words. I would love to meet up in Paris. We will have to come up with a plan. I have been keeping up with the meet-up boards and will continue to do so. We will be in Paris Sept 27-29. Do I remember correctly seeing your name on the Verona meet-up? We will be there on Sept 23-25. How exciting!! I am having a great time making plans.
Barbara
Barbara
we are so lightly here

Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:33 pm

musicmania wrote:Hi Hydrogal, your story has moved me to tears. I've no children so cannot imagine the pain of losing your son but I can relate to how you describe the effects of Leonard's songs. I was going through a difficult time in my life when I discovered his music and the impact on my life and my outlook on life is immense. Unfortunately I won't be in Paris but I know you will have a wonderful time.
musicmania,
Thank you so much.
Barbara
we are so lightly here

Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 pm

MaryB wrote:
Hydrogal wrote:I am also a late-comer to LC. This is a story that I would not normally share, but for some reason I feel the need now. Sorry, but it is kind of long.

Dear Barbara,

You had me in tears and smiles.

In tears, because of the loss of a beloved child that you connected with on one level because of the music. My deepest, deepest sympathy. We lost a beloved fiance (at the age of 24 after an illness) of our son three years ago - the pain never goes away, it softens, but slowly becomes replaced with more and more wonderful memories.

In smiles, because, like most of here on the forum, we have found solace in the words and music of LC.

We also will be in Paris attending the concert on the 30th. I hope that at some point we will be able to meet the wonderful parents of this extraordinary young man.

Warmest regards,
Mary & George
Hi Mary B
I have been keeping an eye on the meet-up for Paris and will continue to do so. It would be wonderful to meet you in Paris. Maybe it will be possible. Thank you for your words. I think it is funny and amazing that at my age I could be so thoroughly thunderstruck by someone. After my 'conversion' I learned that Leonard had performed a few miles from me in 2010. When I think about this my heart just hurts. How could I have missed it?! My penance for my ignorance I guess. Oh well--sigh.
Barbara
Barbara
we are so lightly here

Return to “Comments & Questions”