What would you cook for Leonard?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Vicomtesse

What would you cook for Leonard?

Postby Vicomtesse » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Last night we had a few friends round and it got me wondering; as you do! What if.................?

As there were 16 of us and it was threatening to snow (which is rare here in Brittany) I decided that a pot of soup, a big pot of Beef Bourguignon followed by one of the stars of British cuisine 'Syrup sponge pudding'; was definitely called for. Pure comfort food! (All made in advance so I could enjoy the evening as well)
Obviously not a menu I would choose for the summer but perfect for this time of year.

So.. What would you cook for LC and/or the band?
Vicomtesse
GinaDCG

Re: What would you cook for Leonard?

Postby GinaDCG » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:49 pm

An interesting question. Obviously, time of year and weather would have much to do with my decision. For a cold winter like the one we've been having, I think I'd go with Emeril Lagasse's Mullagatawney Soup or Cinncinnati style chili (ingredients include chocolate and cinnamon.) I am a Yank, so I believe summer is cook-out time; hot dogs, hamburgers and salmon marinated with olive oil and lime. Early spring? Oysters Clancy (with spinach.) Autumn -- whatever else is on the menu you have to include an apple pie (with strong melted cheddar cheese on top,) and pumpkin pie.

I'm not a wonderful cook, but I do enjoy cooking. I came to proper cooking later in life -- I was finally diagnosed with Celiac and can no longer eat anything made with wheat. So, in order to have delicious things I have to do more cooking from scratch (I have some gluten-free bagels in the oven right now.) I'm still learning -- tell me about the syrup sponge pudding . . . ?

Then there's the kosher issue . . . hot dog commercials tell me that kosher meat must come from the front half of the cow. Other then that information (?) I have no idea what is and is not kosher.
Cate

Postby Cate » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:59 pm

pancakes
lightasabreeze

Postby lightasabreeze » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Whatever he asked me to cook !!!!!!
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Vicomtesse

Postby Vicomtesse » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi Gina and everyone,
My recipe for 'Syrup Sponge Pudding' (enough for 4-6 people)
All in one sponge mix:
4oz. (125g) Self raising Flour
1 tspn. Baking powder
4oz. (125g) soft spread margarine
4oz. (125g) caster sugar
2 eggs med
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk with an electric hand mixer or beat thoroughly with a large spoon.
Next put two tblspns. Golden Syrup (try also maple syrup) into the base of a pudding basin then pour on the cake mix.
Cover the basin with kitchen paper or aluminium foil and secure.
Steam gently for 1h 30mins in a steamer over a saucepan of boiling water.
When cooked it has a pool of syrup at the base. If left it will soak up into the sponge and become very sticky (delicious) or you can turn it out onto a plate immediately and let the syrup run down the sides of the sponge (also delicious).
You can make a pouring sauce with
2 tblsns. golden syrup
4 fl.oz. water
juice and zest of 1 lemon
Boil it all in a saucepan and pour over the sponge.

This is very quick to make but takes a while to cook so something you need to plan ahead. It's full of calories and sugar so not a good idea for Diabetics or those on a diet but it is absolutely delicious. Serve it with custard or Vanilla ice cream.

I am not au fait with the American equivalents of weights or ingredients.
Self raising flour for example is baking flour (not bread flour) with raising agents already added (self explanatory really).
Caster sugar is fine granules.
The main problem for you of course is the Celiacs. Can you get gluten free flour for baking, I know you can get it for bread.
If you give it a go, let me know the results.
Vicomtesse
burningviolin

Postby burningviolin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:23 pm

About time this forum had a 'food' section, well done Vicomtesse! Next time I'm anywhere near France I'll be calling to your house for that pudding!!yum!!

As for what would I cook for Leonard...not a clue...is he vegetarian?
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
GinaDCG

Postby GinaDCG » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Vicomtesse wrote: The main problem for you of course is the Celiacs. Can you get gluten free flour for baking, I know you can get it for bread.
If you give it a go, let me know the results.
Vicomtesse
I chose a good time to be diagnosed. Most Americans are diagnosed at age 50, - I was diagnosed at 49 and since I'm in the bottom 1/3 of the baby boom generation that means I arrived just after Celiacs became a large enough demographic to be catered to in the retail markets. So yes, there is GF flour at my local grocery; and GF bread mixes which work in my bread machine. I just got my hands on another GF recipe book which offers its own "artisan" GF flour mixture. I'll give the sponge pudding a try as soon as my family finishes off the GF brownies. Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it goes.
Susy

Postby Susy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:21 pm

"food section ,ha,ha :)

I will cook for him ( and myself ) only once a month " Wiener Schnitzel and Kartoffelsalat "
.....and at another day of the month I will cook for him (and myself :) )
" Züri Gschnetzlets mit Rösti " if you understand what I mean :) .
Both only once a month and not to much, just enough to keep body and soul together :lol:
Susy
GinaDCG

Postby GinaDCG » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Susy,

My favorite hiking agenda calls for me to hike somewhere near an isolated town in West Virginia -- Helvetia -- on a Sunday. Helvetia was settled by Swiss immigrants in the 1870s and still occupied by descendants. There is a delightful Bed and Breakfast there and the accompanying restaurant named The Hutte. Sunday brunch at the Hutte: wiener schnietzel, sauerbrauten, bratwurst, sauerkraut, Morgan Henley, rosti, home made goat cheese (the goats live out back and like to have the base of their horns messaged) and more and more and more. My plan on such trips is to hike hard and fast enough so you that pigging out on their buffet will not produce a net increase in calories for the day! So, if you're ever in the neighborhood but don't want to cook for yourself but you'd like some Swiss food . . .
Vicomtesse

Postby Vicomtesse » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:22 pm

I will put the kettle on and have a piece of cake waiting for you Burning Violin then perhaps dinner later followed by the pud! And of course music!

I am not a trained cook but a love of food and feeding a large family inspired me to cook good food.
I have cooked for many people over the years, Celiacs, diabetics, cholesterol problems, those with dairy allergies, vegetarians, Vegans to name but a few.......
So; if Leonard is any of those I'm sure I can russtle up something. If I had to feed the band as well; I have quite a number of recipes which will do for everyone.
Two things that I'm particularly good at (Better than the French) are soups and cakes (I'll include puddings as well). I'm cutting back on the cakes though as it's not good for Vicomté's waistline! or mine!
Vicomtesse
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:37 am

Potato and cheese pierogis
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Postby ladydi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:52 am

I don't think Leonard is totally vegan, as I know he does include fish and dairy in his diet. But his culinary needs are simple. I would prepare salmon filets (wild, of course), poached in white wine and herbs (dill, basil), covered in a yougurt, dill, cucumber sauce. And remembering a delightfully funny video of Lorca and a friend preparing asparagus for Leonard and Anjani, I would do a variation on this....saute the asparagus in extra virgin olive oil...add a little ground pepper and kosher salt...when slightly browned (doesn't take long), remove from heat, add a splash of balsamic vinegar and a few grates of parmesan reggiano. It's okay either warm or cold. And then we would enjoy either a perky pinot grigio, or a summery, fresh sauvignon blanc. :D

ps...if this included the band and crew :roll: ....I can do awesome spicy cowboy beans....grilled corn on the cob....and filet mignon in a cranberry port reduction with blue cheese...plus carrot cake from scratch for dessert! ;-)
somewhat_nifty

Postby somewhat_nifty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:37 pm

hehe, I don't think I'd dare subject Leonard or the band to any of my cooking :lol: We saw what happened the last time Leonard got food poisoning, and I don't think I could face the wrath of the Cohen fans. Everyone else's suggestions sound lovely though - I'd be up for a slice of vicomtesse's pudding too!
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
GinaDCG

Postby GinaDCG » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:07 pm

It's all your fault! (Hows that for avoiding personal responsibility?)

During the weeks of being a good patient and dutifully propping my cast up on a cushion (above the level of the heart) and barely moving for hours on end, (instead of walking my usual 5 - 10 miles a day) and, needless to say, relying on not-from-scratch dinners, I gained @ 15 pounds. Then the cast came off and I began to move about and do my PT regimen. I lost a pound. Then the past few days I've drooled over the postings in this thread --- and that pound I thought I'd lost is back! I could say it was that dish of ice cream I had yesterday and the carmel macchiatto at Starbucks, but I prefer to think it was your nefarious influences! :lol: :lol: What would I cook for Leonard, indeed! If I don't lose this weight I'm going to permanently look like a fat American! Horrors! And then if Leonard ever catches a glimpse of me in a subway crowd he's just going to roll his eyes and think "How can people let themselves get like that?"

(I am clinging to the hope that when I'm given the all clear to resume my 5 - 10 miles a day I will return to my previous size.)
Vicomtesse

Postby Vicomtesse » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:25 am

OK Ladydi,
What time do you want us all there?
It all sounds delicious!!
Vicomtesse

Return to “Comments & Questions”