So sad Mr.Dylan, so sad

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lightning

Post by lightning »

Re: Falling from Grace
In Masked and Anonymous Dylan says he didn't fall from grace, he was pushed. Remember when he said, "They'll stone you when you're trying to make a buck"? Maybe that's what this attack is.
September_Cohen

Post by September_Cohen »

Hey people. You must not look at it like it is a money thing. Money don't moves Dylan. It is only the humour of Dylan. Like his album Self-portrait...like his last shit movie. He loves making shit sometimes...a volontary thing to his character. Don' forget that if Elvis is the King...Bob Dylan is the jester. There not a thing there linked to money. Big good dylanian joke only.

Come on...be awake
One for the money
Two for the show
Three to get ready
Go man go
I said tell me Mr. Siegal
How do I get out of here
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

Hey man... I like Self Portrait. It's not great, but it is by no means the worst. :)
ep
lightning

Post by lightning »

They say he's sending money to Israel for arms.
mamalex

bob dylan

Post by mamalex »

I am a happy capitalist pig but there is something extremely distasteful about stars {Sting, Madonna,Missy Elliot Bob Dylan etc.}, who already have more money than god using their talent and influence to whore over-priced garbage. "the dumbest buy the mostest"{dead kennedys}. Lovesick is dylans absolute best and to see it in commercial sickens me. L.C. has always seemed to me to be more inclined to follw his own interests, allowing us to follow or not as we se fit.
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

I will say it again... The VS ad is funny! At the last dog grooming convention that I attended, everyone was up in arms about
"Scoots Layman," a teacup poodle and canine troubador, doing an ad for Frontline flea and tick medication. This old son-of-a-literal-bitch was all strut when placed in the company of those fat-free 2 year olds. You could have cut the tension with a wax paper, real feel, summer grass blade in the lower beard of a backflip jockey when the time came to award the king of cash crop product pushing and muscle tone!!!
I did not fret... I knew that humor would win the cake toss.
:)
ep
jurica

Post by jurica »

i wouldn't agree with old McLean about 'kings' and 'jesters', but it was 'long long time ago', and he didn't know Bob as we do now, and i don't think it's humour we are dealing here with - it's more like theater of absurd (Ionesco or Beckett): he's doing things that he feels like doing and when he feels like it, and doesn't give a sh...t what the rest of us think.

he writes songs the same way.

it's what makes him a king (making his own decisions), and the rest of the music scene jesters who would do anything to be liked.

congratualtions mr. Dylan! you were the first to smoke a joint in public, the first to use electric guitar in country music, the first to sing poetry, the first to sing what you wanted and not what others wanted you to, and once again - you managed to shock, entertain and educate us!

besides, if i have to watch commercials, i'd rather have Dylan than Spears singing in the background.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Dylan may have been the first popularizer of folk-rock in the US but by no means the first to sing poetry as a tradition of troubadour goes back to the middle ages. I don't remember his smoking a joint in public. Where was that? The current issue Bootleg Series 6, The Halloween Concert Live in NY at the Philharmonic Hall, Oct. 31, 1964 is a lot funnier than the Victoria Secret commericial. It is an acoustic Dylan, young enthusiastic joking non-cynical Bobby Dylan with his marvelous insight into love, life and politics. But he was so much older then, he's younger than that now. (He devolved).
Kush

Post by Kush »

Is there any reason at all he shouldn't do it if that's what he wants to do?

Somebody showed me a picture and I just had to laugh
Dignity ain't never been photographed. - Bob Dylan

p.s. Lightning I wouldnt say he devolved L&T and Time Out of Mind are two of his finest ever, I especially like L&T. And I think we are all agreed that Lovesick (along with Not Dark Yet) are amongst his finest songs.
They are just different than his earlier stuff, in a sense more rustic, very pointedly non-intellectual in some sense.
BTW, I still plan on sending you that VHS copy eventually.
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

Lightning- I disagree that Bob has "devolved." One of the interesting aspects of Dylan's music is that it evolves to where it cannot be compared using "itself" as a reference point.
Do you have "Love and Theft," it is quite good.
ep
lightning

Post by lightning »

Yes, I do have Love and Theft but I keep playing that 1964 Halloween concert. To think, I am hearing It's All Right Ma, Tambourine Man, and Gates of Eden before they were even out on record. Bob sings them slowly, enunciating clearly to an audience that hasn't heard them before. What a time travel experience!!
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

That is a great show and FAMOUS boot. Is moonshiner on the official release... :?:

Love and Theft was a bit weird for me. I got it the first day of release and it had a bonus disc of a few old folk songs, one being "I Was Young When I Left Town." I think it took me a solid month to move on to the actual record :)
When I did, I was so glad that BD had made another great record. :)
ep
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I have to confess I don't know much about Dylan's music. Blowin' in the wind and Desolation Row are about the only songs I have ever heard. Should I start with the Bootleg Series are just go the regular route?

Dylan was in D.C. a couple of weeks ago. He played at a small venue and spent the whole time on his keyboard facing the band. He never paid any attention to the audience. The paper said they still loved it.

M

P.S. Correction: I've also heard "lovesick" on the lingerie label. :wink:
Kush

Post by Kush »

I don't have the latest Bootleg Series (vol. 6??) but looking at the song selection I think it would be a great one to start with. I've heard bits of it at Borders and he does enunciate very very clearly.
Yeah...he's quite eccentric so this latest twist in the saga of Mr. Lingerie Man doesnt surprise me at all. :)
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

Starting with the bootleg series would be a decent route. I would suggest the first three available in a box or vol 6.
This will be a major undertaking, Dylan must be approached by era, so to speak... Biography is a good set, but if you plan to get the albums, you will end up with everything anyway, save maybe 2 or 3 songs...
The bootleg series vol 1-3 are nice because they are retrospective but also unavailable songs via "official albums." Stay away from the 80s stuff at first (Oh Mercy is great but hold off on that one)
Good Luck... :)
ep

Return to “Comments & Questions”