So sad Mr.Dylan, so sad

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
September_Cohen

Post by September_Cohen »

Another Dylanian splendid joke. And the commercial is not that bad. We were talking about a poor jester (Weird Al Yankovic)...but now I present you the Master Jester Bob Dylan.

P.S. Self-Portrait...you can like it. But it was made on a good and crazy laugh!
One for the money
Two for the show
Three to get ready
Go man go
I said tell me Mr. Siegal
How do I get out of here
lightning

Post by lightning »

Start with a greatest hits compilation, visit a lyrics site and spend some time thinking carefully about his words. It would also be a help to smoke some grass while you do it as that's how many of his best songs were written and how we used to fathom them when they were current.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: , Lightning...might as well go for authentic, right?
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

Didn't you guys know? The bootleg 6 comes with a joint rolled by Bob and licked by Tyra Banks... The weed inside is called Pussy 4 Sale. It was government engineered to make you drink gasoline... :D
ep
September_Cohen

you really really don't know him...I think Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson smoking more than Bob. If we are lucky...Bob has smoked maybe two years and half. Probably not more. And he's not supporting any alcool for a long long time now. He's a great man. The Holy Ghost of the lyricist trinity.
One for the money
Two for the show
Three to get ready
Go man go
How do I get out of here
Jo

Post by Jo »

I grew up (if you can call it that - I'm not sure that I have grown up yet) with Bob Dylan as my hero..... but I learnt long ago that imposing my values/morals on my heroes only leads to disappointment.
Personally I think it's great to be in a position where you are able to do something just for the hell of it and not care a damn about popular/public opinion.
Do I perhaps detect just a drop of jealousy that this old codger can leer at all those lovely women whilst ordinary mortals have to make-do with the usual style-less downtrodden women one sees on the streets?
(not having seen the ad myself I have to go with the consensus that BD is leering and that the women are good looking)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"... to make a pale imitation of reality with twenty-six juggled letters"
"... all words are lies because they can only represent one of many levels of being"
Sober noises of morning in a marginal land.
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

September_Cohen wrote:you really really don't know him...I think Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson smoking more than Bob. If we are lucky...Bob has smoked maybe two years and half. Probably not more. And he's not supporting any alcool for a long long time now. He's a great man. The Holy Ghost of the lyricist trinity.
First off SC, I believe the pot is a joke... Also, Dylan's drug use was not limited to a two year stint. Sure he's clean now, I suppose, but this guy was doing coke and dope for a decade. The 77-78 tour was going to have Lou Reed open but promoters thought that someone would die if Bob and Lou went on tour together...
ep
September_Cohen

Please Epurcelly...tell me. Because I rally fucking hope that you are not the next Lizzytysh
One for the money
Two for the show
Three to get ready
Go man go
How do I get out of here
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

I have no idea what your talking about friend... It is nice to see that the word "fuck" is in your vocabulary, as it is a very effective tool.
ep
Tim

Post by Tim »

what's with the 'next Lizzytysh' tag? is that like the 'new Dylan'? (Springsteen/Forbert/etc...)

I'm so glad that September Cohen has such great insight into Dylan's life and just knows his drug habits (and everything else about him) better than the rest of us.

Moonlight - as previously suggested, Bootleg Series 1-3 or Biograph are good sets to catch up with Dylan's career - and both available cheaply in the UK so I guess they should be in the US too - or for studio albums, ones like Blood On The Tracks, Infidels, Oh Mercy or Time Out Of Mind should be high up your list.[/i]
lightning

Post by lightning »

"The Essential Bob Dylan" is a 2 CD set which will give you an overview of debateably some of the best songs of his career. bobdylan.com and Expecting Rain are two good websites to visit.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Do not miss the song "Ballad of a Thin Man"! It was very early on for me, and was the wake-up call to/affirmation of there being 'alternate realities,' with regard to the interactions of people, in our day-to-day lives ~ the verbalizing of the fact that we interact on many different levels with the same person/people, at the same time.
Kush

Post by Kush »

Tim..Springsteen is NOT the new Dylan - he is the original Springsteen. Actually I listen to him more than Dylan or Cohen but that's another story. We all relate first and foremost to the music of our own generation... :)

All of this extraneous stuff (VS, drugs etc etc) is interesting, amusing and ultimately irrelevant. But I am happy to talk of Dylan's latest albums. This past weekend I heard Time Out of Mind after a really really long time and I must've forgotten just how good it is. To understand where this music (his last 2 albums) is coming from you have to take a trip to New Orleans. This is the music that is all around wafting in from bars and clubs. This is the street music of the south, the blues, the black man's music. It doesnt come from any east coast esoteric literary movement (Ginsberg, Cohen Dylan, chelsea hotel stuff etc etc) but it's the heart and soul of america.

For the past decade Dylan has been digging deep into the roots of americana - the precursor to these albums was the little noticed 'World Gone Wrong' album that was covers of traditional blues of Blind Willie McTell, Lightnin' Hopkins and others. Just like every phase he went through - the protest Bob, electric Bob, confessional Bob, gospel Bob - we now have the grizzled bluesman Bob. the music, arrangements, lyrics all fit in perfectly in this genre, even the grizzled bark.
Last year he was a featured performer at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. In the past 2 years there has also been two terrific covers albums of Dylan songs by prominent gospel and blues singers of the south.
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

Kush wrote:Tim..Springsteen is NOT the new Dylan - he is the original Springsteen. Actually I listen to him more than Dylan or Cohen but that's another story. We all relate first and foremost to the music of our own generation... :)
Hey Kush- I should have quoted your whole post... I am from NJ, and you are from NY. We understand BRUCE!!! :D
Have you seen Bruce?
Oh GOD he is great live!
Just writing the word BRUCE is great... Imagine what the records sound like!

Street Legal is a BRUCE rip off! HA!
ep
Tim

Post by Tim »

Kush - that was my point, a 'new Dylan' tag was as meaningless when applied to Bruuuuuuce (as I think it was when he started out?) as 'next Lizzytysh' would be applied to Epurcelly...

Actually I'm just catching up with Bruce's career, working backwards from '... tom joad' and 'the rising' which I both got when they came out, via Nebraska, and 18 tracks... I was certainly struck by the Steve Douglas sax on some of the songs but I think it's unfair to 'Street Legal' to say that it's a Bruce rip-off just because of it. But then I'm biased :wink:

Return to “Comments & Questions”