We are not convinced

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Coco

Post by Coco » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:30 pm

Hi Lizzytysh!

Oh No! I was never a big fan of Woody Allen. :)

Got to go. See you in the funny papers. :lol:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:09 am

Hi Coco ~

He's a good one to check out for beneath-the-surface dynamics.

~ Lizzy
Hermitage

Post by Hermitage » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:06 am

The adjectives "left wing" and "right wing" are not really descriptive at all. One thing that is clear is that Mr. Cohen is anti-fascist. "The Party Was Over Then Too" is all about that, and I think it's an interesting poem and story.
Linda

Post by Linda » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:11 pm

The are you for real comment would be used in my circles the same as " you have got to be kidding" or "could you possibly mean that " The bringing up of George Bush here struck me funny. Off course the far left strikes me funny. Before you jump all over me, I do not go along with everything about this President or have agreed with totally and completely any president in the past. I am conservative, but not that narrow minded.

Yes, Coco I also heard Leonard say the same about having war on countries or people that sell drugs and ruin our young people lives. When I get time I am researching my videos for that statement again. Also I would have to believe that Leonard would agree with President Bush on the abortion issue.
Got to run, do not have time for this and I will not get into another politcal discussion here so save your quips to try to get me into one.
Linda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:19 pm

Likewise, in 'my circles,' the same meaning holds true. However, not a single thing I said would have even implied or suggested that I wasn't 'for real' with what I'd said re: Bush. So, the intent of your 'quip' was....what? [Rhetorical question, not expecting an answer.] Of course, I meant it seriously, and I mean it in the context in which it was stated. Thanks for narrowing down the intent of your 'quip.' Not sure [though certainly suspect] who you were addressing with your final sentence; however, with regard to trying to engage someone in political 'discussion,' with quips or anything else, you would not be the one. No idea how you presumed that anyone [much less me] was trying to get you there.
Hermitage

Post by Hermitage » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:26 pm

I do not agree that Mr. Cohen is necessarily against the right to chose an abortion. I know he has used phrases that remind one of the language used by certain groups, but these phrases do not convince me that he opposes the right to chose. Most people who support the right recognize that abortion is inherently sad, very often tragic, and that is what I get from his lyrics. Nothing I have read indicates LC's opposition to a woman's right to make this very painful choice.
jurica

Post by jurica » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:04 pm

i think it doesn't matter what LC thinks. the only thing that makes any difference when you listen to a song of his is what he wanted to say. i strongly dissagree with The Future (the way i read it), but i like it a lot.

the painting is not very different from the rest of what he made. i like the colors, but i doubt it is of great artistic value.

and, finaly, i doubt he'd use his portrait to give a political message. it seems more of an intimate thing, a self-portrait.

perhaps he's trying to make fun of himself, us, and the whole 'art industry' the way Bob Dylan did with his Self Portrait album. the whole series of drawings could be (like Dylan's 'worst album in the history of pop music', which also includes Dylan's self-portrait on the cover!) an examination of what is and what isn't art.

some say Dylan did it to make people realise he was not a messiah. given notice of LC's status today, he might want to do the same.
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:56 am

Everyone is entitled to their own option about anything. I certainly didn't get into Leonard's music on the basis of his politics. I also think it is his concern and no one else's he is not running for govenment therefore his political bias is his own concern.
lightning

Post by lightning » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:55 am

Didn't he say, "I'm neither left nor right, I'm just staying home tonight getting lost in that hopeless little screen.? ( Democracy-)

Confucius say, " Man who straddle fences get balls sliced in two."
Coco

Post by Coco » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:39 am

Hi All!

I located the interview where Leonard says we should bomb the drug producing countries. It was on a tape of Leonard Cohen...A Personal Portrait...The Originals. I think he was serious! :shock:
Linda

Post by Linda » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:18 pm

I think he is serious, about everything he says. "Destroy another fetus now we don't like children anyhow" and also from Diamonds, "showed a million women how to kill an unborn child" pretty serious stuff.
Linda
jurica

Post by jurica » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:18 am

yeah,

all you women out there - if you like Leonard: DO NOT KEEP YOUR CHILDREN! kill them now, or you'll be sorry later!
Coco

Post by Coco » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:49 pm

Hi Jurica!

I don't think you understood Linda's post. When she says Leonard is serious about everything he is saying and then quotes the lines from his songs she is not implying that Leonard is telling women to kill their unborn children. Linking back with her previous posts she is interpreting these lines as being anti-abortion. She is not taking these lines literally.
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:31 pm

CoCo, i think writers write in things that they don't always believe in, to make certain points. You should not always blame the messenger.
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
lightning

Post by lightning » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:40 pm

He also said " I need you to carry my children in, and I need you to kill a child." ('You Know Who I am") In which case he was pro-abortion when it suited his need.

Return to “Comments & Questions”