We are not convinced

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Moonlight

We are not convinced

Post by Moonlight » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:03 pm

Well, I'm not convinced either. But you look more rested.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:07 pm

And not nearly so mad.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:10 pm

I would never have recognized you. Are you sure this is a self-portrait?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:57 pm

Perhaps the Forum has affected him from afar......and he's pretending to be someone else :shock: .

DISCLAIMER: The above comment was a flippant one 'to' Moonlight, thinking Moonlight had started a thread to expound on the conclusion that "....Leonard is mad at us" and Linmag's question re: whether M would care to expound on that. I had no idea there was a new sketch.

Reading others' comments, I realized that this was about a new one. I can see a definite likeness, and I really like Lightning's description that "he draws like a writer." Perfect way to describe it and to reframe people's expectations.
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
evelyn

Post by evelyn » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:52 pm

Uh oh, are we in trouble?

evelyn
Kush

Post by Kush » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:46 pm

Is the LCfiles obliged to put out everything LC sends it or are the powers-that-be allowed some discretion on the matter?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:31 pm

Oh, for sure there is no obligation - on the other hand I cannot
see any reason why I shouldn't post these drawings.

They should not be taken too seriously. Making drawings is something
Leonard likes, and if he wants to share them with us why wouldn't
we take the opportunity?!

Jarkko
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:54 am

I think it looks like him. The "we" bit is a bit dodgy I hope he isn't hearing voices :lol:

Whether you like his drawings or not I bet there would be a rush if there was a competition to win one.

What do you think Jarkko. What are the chances of Leonard allowing that? 8)
linmag

Post by linmag » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:26 am

At least he has abandoned the Star Trek uniform :lol:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lightning

Post by lightning » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:43 am

I think we of the forum should take this criticsm to heart that we have not shown "them" (the corporate "we"?) any improvement and earnestly try to improve. Are we boring or incorrect ? Off-topic too often? Are we inaccurate in our analyses? Do we fail to grasp the communication sent us? Are we fighting amongst ourselves over trivial matters? Are some of us behaving like infatuated ninnies? Groupies and obsessed fans? People a star would want to hide under the table from?
I'm happy he's communicating with us. I like the drawings. He draws like a writer. Remember Dylan's "Self-Portrait" album cover?" No better. John Lennon's "In his Own Write" ? Thurber's line drawings? All welcome to enliven and vary the text.
Linda

Post by Linda » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:48 am

I like his self portraits, I think they are light hearted and funny, what a good way to portray yourself.
Linda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:21 am

Evelyn ~ I'm not. At least not with him :lol: .

The depth in your analysis is excellent, Lightning. Whether or not he meant it that/those way/[s], you've given some excellent points for consideration, that he could have been referring to. All I know for sure [right now ~ this late, and after a long day ~ is that his messages are not without meaning.

I like this drawing a lot. You're right, too, Paula ~ just let one go up for a prize, and see what happens :shock: :wink: .
Coco

Post by Coco » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:08 pm

Hi All!

Just saw the new self-portrait. I must say I do like this one the best.
He seems to have lost the fierceness of the Decision portrait yet retained the tenderness. :D Maybe things are looking up for him both personally and professionally. :wink: I also agree Paula with you and Lizzytysh. If there were a competition for one of these (say a poetry competition) even the nay-sayers (I'm talking to you Moonlight :wink: ) would be entering. I know I would be. :lol:
lightning

Post by lightning » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:46 pm

Anyone who wants these images can print them out from the Internet. You need not have a competition so that one wins and the rest lose. You need not fight over them so you outdo everybody else. You do not need the "prestige" of an orginal or to horde it for future sale at a high price. These are perversions that capitalism has brought to the art world. If these drawings mean something to you, call them up on your computer screen and click "print". They are there for everyone to have.
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:18 pm

Lighting get a grip. Talk about over react. Where has all this talk about prestige and future sales come from. And fighting to try and outdo everyone else. Blimey I would hate to see how you react if someone short changed you. :shock:

I take it you wouldn't enter such a competition :lol:

Return to “Comments & Questions”