A thought on this website, and a thank you

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Paul Zagreb

Re: A thought on this website, and a thank you

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Habie wrote:But then, if love was easy, we wouldn't have Leonard. And if we didn't hurt, we wouldn't have ecstasy.

And without ecstasy, or at least the capacity for true abandonment to sorrow and joy...

Thanks again, you all.
Habie x
Habie - born with the gift of a golden pen!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Habie

Post by Habie »

Dear Tindy,
Thank you so much for the song! Well spotted; it's perfect. There's so much accumulated musical knowledge here, someone probably knows a song for every situation. Have you ever come across the brilliant poetry anthology, STAYING ALIVE? If not, I recommend it to all as essential; it's a selection of modern poetry on every conceivable topic, arranged thematically. It's almost comical how many others have felt and expressed whatever you happen to be feeling; from the death of your cat to the sight of your first newborn to the beginning or the end of the world.

I just wrote a note to The-man-who-no-longer-loves-me, quoting Rimbaud's poem, "Elle est retrouvée. Quoi? L'Eternité. C'est la mer allée avec le soleil." (It is found. What? Eternity. It is the sea, merged with the sun"). It seems to express a similar sentiment to the song you sent me - blue skies are indeed the answer. I also sent a quote from Ray Lamontagne, to whose music I was introduced by our Henning; 'Well I looked my demons in the eye/Laid bare my chest said do your best destroy me / See I've been to hell and back so many times / I must admit you kinda bore me...'.

That's true too, of course... soul-ache becomes boring after a while, it's so deadeningly repetitive. But the good thing is, like heat when you're freezing or ice when you're sweating, it's hard to remember afterwards. I hope none of you reading this can even remember what your last heartbreak felt like! I can't wait until it's time to laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again...

Big hope-filled hugs
(and apologies for the narcissism! That Too Shall Pass).
Habie x
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Habie ~

I don't even know where to begin on writing about you. The firsts keep pushing each other out of line, wanting to be in that place themselves. So, I guess I'll begin with this... when I saw the loving words spoken by Wijbe to you, it told me much and I could see you had become close with Willy and him when you met. A higher recommendation? No... Only equivalents... Jarkko and Eija, Leonard, and a couple others.
Habie - born with the gift of a golden pen!
This applies to everything you've written that I've read. Such a tender, poetic, and depth-of-feeling spirit you have... astonishing. You're eloquent, elegant, expressive... and beautiful. You're unique in your expression. Then, you are genuinely interested in others... to have taken the time to go back and read some postings of mine. I was amazed to see that.

Thank you for all the incredibly kind things you've said about me. To only live up to them and the kind of person they would mean I am is my own dream. Thank you for your kindness.

You're so very right on what you've said about all the others. You see yourself reflected in them.

Your recommendation of "Staying Alive" is a very helpful one. The one about your cat dying caught my eye. I've been going through any number of cat issues.

In the love of a man, and so many other things, you will find all that you deserve one day. You cannot possibly do otherwise. I wish this one had been the one, but it seems he was not. Narcissize until you heal. There may be more pushing and shoving in that line come Cracow ;-) .

Thank you, again, for your amazing generousity, Habie.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jenrbr

Post by jenrbr »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but have been a fan of Leonard Cohen for many years.
Posted maybe twice before where I also expressed my deepest appreciation to this forum.
Just read this new thread and was very impressed with hebie's ability to express my shared sentiments.
I want to thank you for voicing the gratitude many of us feel.

I also wanted to share this article I just found in today's TELEGRAPH about Federico García Lorca. I am aware of Leonard Cohen's admiration of Lorca's poetry. As I did not know where to place it in this forum, so I came here.

Here is the URL:
Lorca's skeleton speaks of a new Spain
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/pers ... Spain.html

One more time I want to thank you ALL for providing me a unique opportunity to delve and about Leonard Cohen.

kol tov/be well
Jenny
caz

Post by caz »

Coming late to this, but my thanks too: this has been an enjoyable thread.

Like jenrbr, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've just finished reading Victoria Hislop's The Return, set in Spain during the Civil War. It adds a lot of interesting detail about those times, and helps to put it into an understandable and meaningful context. Lorca is entwined in the story too.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

MaryB, ladydi, and Habie [placed third here only because I've already responded directly to you, but must include you here, as well] ~ I want to very personally thank all three of you for assertively continuing in the tradition of warmth and caring that I feel this Forum brings to the Internet and cyberworld. For me, greeting newcomers as individuals is an inherent part of that and is a deeply held value of mine... unlike walking into any social gathering and being unrecognized, unacknowledged, and/or ungreeted by anyone, it takes the invisibility of mere existence and brings a person into the warmth and humanness of recognition, validation, and feeling of being welcome and supported. Seeing others do this is immeasurably heartening to me.

Thank you with love.

Love,
Lizzy
xoxox
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi f'lipper, Jenny, and Caz ~

You're so right on how beautifully and laser accurately Habie expresses the thoughts and feelings of so many on this Forum. This Forum has a feeling of safety that is so important in our electronic interactions. This thread is a perfect place for a piece on Lorca.

A warm welcome to all three of you :D .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
caz

Post by caz »

Thank you Lizzy. Cyberspace is very big and can be very lonely so a warm welcome is .... well, welcome! :-)
jenrbr

Post by jenrbr »

dear lizzy and all of you who have given such a gracious welcome to this forum.

It warms the heart.
It is such an honor to be here.
What a magnificant site to learn and share.

Thank you for this.

kol tov/be well
Jenny

(I hope this makes it to the board - I inadvertently saved my first copy...have no idea where it went... so if this appears twice, mea culpa for the double message. )
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Caz and Jenny ~

You're so right, Caz, on how big and often lonely Cyberspace is... and we keep hearing [at least here in the U.S.] how alienated we're becoming from one another; so the connections we make are to be valued. The most graphic examples that come to mind when I say that are the situation I heard about where children and their parents went to dinner together and the children were on their cellphones nearly the entire time; and the situation I saw as I drove through a college town and a guy and girl were walking together down the sidewalk, each talking with someone else on their cellphones. Now, we have texting and Twitter and such, where even our language is being compromised in 'favour' of the butchered forms.

Your message came through once, Jenny. Where in the world are you ;-) ??? "Kol tov" gives the impression that you are Jewish and either in Tel Aviv, anticipating Leonard's concert, or in Tel Aviv, finally being home... though, regardless of where you're from, both may feel to be the case. You're right how there is so much to be learned and shared here. It only gets better and better with time. As overwhelming as it can sometimes feel for some of us 'older' ones here, as we've watched it explode in size, how magnificent it is for the love of Leonard's music in perpetuity... and each and all of you are immensely welcome 8) .

Kol tov :D ,
Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

lizzytysh wrote:MaryB, ladydi, and Habie [placed third here only because I've already responded directly to you, but must include you here, as well] ~ I want to very personally thank all three of you for assertively continuing in the tradition of warmth and caring that I feel this Forum brings to the Internet and cyberworld. For me, greeting newcomers as individuals is an inherent part of that and is a deeply held value of mine... unlike walking into any social gathering and being unrecognized, unacknowledged, and/or ungreeted by anyone, it takes the invisibility of mere existence and brings a person into the warmth and humanness of recognition, validation, and feeling of being welcome and supported. Seeing others do this is immeasurably heartening to me.
Thank you with love.
Love,
Lizzy
xoxox
Following the forum for many years as a lurker :oops: , in part because of not understanding the many benefits of being a member (thank you to Jarkko and moderators again - and I'm still learning) and mostly in larger part because it seemed like such a close knit community - I was afraid to intrude. In my days as a lurker I saw the generosity of spirit and the warm welcomes new members received. I finally took the plunge myself, with trepidation. I don't know what I was afraid of. I was warmly accepted and soon found myself in the warm embrace of this lovely community.

There are so many role models here, but I have said to you personally, Lizzy, you were my main role model. Over the years, I learned so much from your posts, how you always made a point of welcoming new members, your constant graciousness, your neverending kindness to others, and yes, not afraid to speak your mind. And now you're thanking me? Lizzy, I owe it all to you and all the other beautiful, kind, gracious and generous forum members here (too, too many to name, but you all know who you are).

Thank you all for giving me a voice and allowing me to be part of something very special!

Loving regards,
Mary

Lest I forget, it's so nice to have you here Jenny!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jenrbr

Post by jenrbr »

My goodness.
Can't praise this forum enough for it's exceptional warm reception.
Again, lizzy, thank you.
To answer your query - - - I live a very peripatetic life. Research and contract work take me to many outposts. My last place of abode was in Hong Kong, before that the UK. Prior to that spent 4 years between New Dehli and Chandigarh. Born in NY but bred and educated in Israel. Sadly I will not be in Israel when Leonard Cohen preforms in Ramat Gan BUT will finally catch him at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I am thrilled and can't wait to have the honor to hear him perform!
Many years ago, I used to live on a kibbutz in northern Israel. My field of expertise at the time was working with dairy cows (325 of them to be exact). Usually we worked in shifts, but during the war, had to do 3 shifts a day. It was in the cow sheds where I encountered Leonard Cohen. No other music was played. Time rolled by so quickly with Leonard in the background. Everyone knew I was working, because Leonard Cohen was piped thru the loudspeakers. It got to a point, where all new calves born in a 4 month stretch received names after his songs. There was Stranger, Marianne, Jane, Thin Gypsy Thief and my favorite - Leonardina.
I feel Ive come full circle somehow.
Enough, I am babbling on.
Just wanted to thank you all for this opportunity.
lehitraot
kol tov/be well
Jenny
Habie

Post by Habie »

I second Lizzy's welcome to the newcomers, and totally agree, Lorca and Spanish stories are surely as relevant as any other Cohen-passion in these scrolls of the Cohenite fraternity.

Lizzy, many thanks for your words. They are far too kind, but thank you... from the sad place, such tenderness is life-enhancing. (Of course, my demons jump in to say that only people who haven't met me would be so loving - they don't know how much I talk! Habble Babble bubble and squeak, aka Aunt Hyperbole...)

I also agree wholeheartedly that cyberspace can and should be a weapon of mass communion rather than a source of alienation. Being here feels anything but lonely. When I first discovered this site I went to Hydra and met Jarkko and Henning and Wille and Wijbe and Padma and others; I lose touch sometimes, then keep finding it again. Aren't the back history pages amazing? All those concert reports, the way threads veer off on tangents (not always good-tempered ones, but no less fun). The game on one (endless) thread for identifying Leonard lyrics through picture collages.... earnest discussions about whether or not Hattie and Charlie should do handstands during concerts... You enter here for information or erudition and hang around for love and laughter... the story of life.

Talking of cyberspace... because I have an unusual name, people I meet sometimes Google me, and almost immediately link to this site for my overly sentimental report of the Hydra event in 2002 with my then partner and our never-to-be-born baby... oops. But if people don't like it, well - curiosity killed the cat. It's not the most usual form of introduction but I'm proud to be part of Leonardland. I'd rather have that as my Intro than dry professional stuff (I always use my real name when I write or contribute to others' books, as a matter of principle).

Finally, Leonard through his words and through everyone here, really feels like a personal friend. I was amazed to remember the other day that I've never actually spoken to him. He seems to speak to me all the time!

(But I have to admit that after my sixth concert last year I had to stop Leonardizing for a while; the impact of the concerts was making ordinary life and people seem too dull to bear, and LC was infusing the days too overpoweringly for comfort, just as he had 15 years before...)

Oh - just seen Jenny's post - what a wonderful story about the cows in the Kibbutz! LC has accompanied so many of us on our journeys ,but that's my favourite story by far! Thank you for telling it! Don't apologize for babbling, you babble beautifully. Like a babbling brook, or if you had said 'rambling', I'd be singing to you from Tom Paxton: 'and here's to you / my rambling boy / may all your rambling / bring you joy...').

Laila tov (to those in night time zones)
Habie x
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Jenny,
I loved your story and how you named the calves after LC songs 8) :D .

Habie,
I'm probably mistaken, but that's the first time I've seen this place called Leonardland. How perfect :D . I, too, consider myself a babbler. That is one of the wonderful things about this forum. If by chance, someone 'tunes you out', you never know it and then I can continue to babble on to my heart's content :lol: .

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

WoW. Sometimes, I'm glad I asked. Other times, I'm exceptionally glad I've asked. This time propels into the latter, Jenny! Such an incredible story you have to offer :D ! I love the names of your calves 8) . You've certainly come full circle from a most interesting life integrally including Leonard to a most rewarding encounter with him and his music. I pray for you that you might meet him in New York. I would be so delighted to hear that it has happened :D .

Overly sentimental report of Hydra, Habie, I so doubt it. I'll go read it as soon as I can. You've been around so much longer than I realized :D . Aunt Hyperbole :lol: ... and I, on the other hand, have relatively little to say... except in writing ;-) . I'm so sorry, Habie, to hear that your baby was never born. What a bitter disappointment that must have been for you.
I was amazed to remember the other day that I've never actually spoken to him. He seems to speak to me all the time!
Yes, he's so real in our personal world, isn't he? I've so often said and will say it 'til I go, that the three men's voices that have the deepest meaning for me are my father's, my former husband's, and Leonard's. That, for me, says it all. He has always been there for me, deep down where it matters the most.

Laila tov,

Lizzy
xoxox
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”