Teachers

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
EdC

Teachers

Post by EdC »

I'm new to the site and don't know how serious members are, but I'll try a question.

In his song "Teachers," L. Cohen sings

and I wished for an embrace.

Several girls embraced me, then
I was embraced by men,
Is my passion perfect?
No, do it once again.

Does anyone know if this refers to any forays into homo or bi sexuality? Is there a different reading.

Thanks
Sandra

teachers

Post by Sandra »

It is not easy for me to explain but I will try.....

I was reading the song and I think the idea of contradiction in the things that happen in everyday life are there and there are different interpretations for a single event depending on the individual
Besides the word passion is not necessarily sexual passion
and the answer is
No, do it again (?) that would mean that if an outsider looks a situation, he may give a wrong interpretation....
Andrew McGeever

Re Teachers.

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Dear Edc,the lines you quoted from "Teachers" should not , in my view, be taken out of context. The whole song is relentlessly self-lacerating, a failed quest to find meaning in the midst of depression. Not one of my favourites in an otherwise wonderful first album. By the way, can ANYONE please answer this question: was it a guitar playing in the background, or some other string instrument (bouzouki perhaps?) , and who played it? Was it Leonard?
As regards " forays into homo or bi sexuality" (sic), I think you should read more about Leonard's life: much has already been committed to print. It is not my concern, as a forum member, to offer comment on Leonard's or anyone else's sexual history. It's his work that counts.
Best wishes, Andrew.
smile

Post by smile »

ERROR
Life is love so treasure every day.........

Return to “Comments & Questions”