What made you choose your posting name?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
iris

Re: What made you choose your posting name?

Post by iris » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Just found this thread, like it.
If one of my two sons would have been a girl, her name would have been iris :)
here is your love for all this
2008 amsterdam/rotterdam, 2009 antwerpen, 2010 gent/dortmund, 2012 gent/amsterdam, 2013 antwerpen/oberhausen/rotterdam/amsterdam
Rain

Post by Rain » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:27 pm

Contrary to what my username sounds like, my parents were not hippies or anything. I chose Rain because the first time I saw Cohen in concert (May 11th-Columbia, MD 2009), the SECOND he stepped onto the stage, as if on cue, this steady, perfect rain began to fall. I was very sick and had to leave early.....but I'll never forget the first time I saw him, and that rain...you know, that fragrance of rain.....

--me
st theresa

Post by st theresa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:36 am

Not because I am a saint...there is a story to this but I have been told to limit the amount I like to write on a page. Suffice it to say that St Theresa (as opposed to Ste Therese or St Teresa) was chosen as a nick name on another website--the first one I ever posted on --and it was a very inside joke (not one that I would expect anyone else to understand without a lot of background information). I was amazed at the disturbance my name caused --both good and bad --I usually blend very well with the wall--When I joined this website--I felt as though I had this online persona (for good or ill) --oh and my confirmation name is Therese--so it is not entirely dishonest. Well --but there I go writing forever. --
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:34 am

Just found this thread - a very interesting read! Kaimi is a Polynesian word/name that means "The seeker." I chose it about 13 years ago when I was in my twenties and in that seeking stage of life, just trying to figure it all out. The "K" at the end is for my name, Kelsey. Not too inspired, but one that's stuck with me for a long time!

Edit* No, I'm not Polynesian - just liked the sound of the word...
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 am

I chose my forum name for the place that I originally came from, Cheshire in GB. Wanted Cheshire cat but it was taken. So....
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:12 am

Hello, my name is Lisa, and I'm a Leonard Cohen fan.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:32 am

Comcast. :lol:
david birkett

Post by david birkett » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:49 pm

It's on my birth certificate. What are the chances of that?
The Ogre does what ogres can,
Deeds quite impossible for Man,
But one prize is beyond his reach:
The Ogre cannot master speech.
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Umm ... I have a house on Hydra.

My avatar is the island's flag, with below it our motto, stolen from the Spartans "On it or with it" -- Spartan soldiers heading out to a battle were told to return with their shield [i.e. with honour] or on their shield [i.e. dead]. I suppose the modern version would be 'Death or Glory',
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
IMM

Post by IMM » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:36 am

david birkett wrote:It's on my birth certificate. What are the chances of that?
You dig deep! I only got as far as some of the letters on my driver's licence. :)
POZEST

Post by POZEST » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 pm

When I was in Junior High School (23 years ago) the word "Possessed" caught my attention. I liked the way the name rang in my head. For years that bell tolled.

Back in 2001 or so, I decided to launch a website and name it/or have it sound like "Possessed.Com" but if you can imagine with all those 'S's in it it could be hard to spell.

So I opted to take the name of the soap called 'Zest' and add a 'Po' to it, to create "Po" "Zest" Hence, POZEST (which gave me the sound I was looking for). The now defunct website (Pozest.com) was left half updated as is 7 years ago.

I still use the name POZEST (all in uppercase) when I sign up on forums.

:D
crowded & cold

Post by crowded & cold » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:26 am

Simply from the lyrics contained in "In My Secret Life" my favourite LC song at the time of joining the forum. Today, would possibly have to chose something from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmyiZgNt ... re=related

Klyde
2009 Las Vegas
2010 Las Vegas x2
lorcamaria

Post by lorcamaria » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:51 pm

I liked Lorca after finding out that Leonards daughter was named Lorca and Maria is my name.
Maria

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering,
There is a crack in everything, that's how the Light gets in.
Gullivor

Post by Gullivor » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:58 am

It's my dogs name!
10-30-10 023.JPG
HopeIt'sYourWill

Post by HopeIt'sYourWill » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:41 am

I wish I could tell all the hysterical details of the morning my posting name was coined, but suffice to say I discovered that Leonard was coming to Durham, NC, at 1:30 AM the VERY day tickets were to go on sale at 10:00 AM! Desperate to find a presale code, I joined the forum. I had visited the forum many times, but never officially became a member until the wee hours of that eventful day. Leonard was singing, If It Be Your Will, as I frantically searched for a code that I soon learned was no longer available. While desperately turning to a higher power for help, my posting name was born. Thankfully, it was His will, and my friends and I had absolutely amazing seats for an absolutely amazing concert!!
Happy 2011 to all!
Hope

Return to “Comments & Questions”