Buddha

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
jmflash

Post by jmflash » Tue May 25, 2004 9:18 am

"Don't you want to join us?" I was recently asked by an acquaintance when he ran across me alone after midnight in a coffeehouse that was already almost deserted. "No, I don't," I said. - Kafka
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Tue May 25, 2004 9:40 am

well said
bee

Post by bee » Tue May 25, 2004 12:22 pm

Nice, loved that one :) thanks jmflash :D
bee
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen » Tue May 25, 2004 3:34 pm

"sister let me tell ya, bout a vision that I saw, you were drawing water for your husband, your were suffering under the law, you were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him bout muhammed in one breath, you never mensioned one time the man, who came and died a criminals death."(Bob Dylan)
Kush

Post by Kush » Tue May 25, 2004 3:59 pm

Ha...that's a good one. Which song is it?

The 'Master of Contrariety' makes some uncharacteristic comments sometimes - here's one about his listening habits.....
"I mostly listen to preacher stations and country music stations".

And here's another (not so uncharacteristic) about LC, Gordon lightfoot etc ....

"...Some guys got it down-Leonard Cohen, Paul Brady, Lou Reed - secret heroes. John Prine, David Allen Coe, Tom Waits. I listen more to that kind of stuff than whatever it is that's popular at the moment. They're not just witchdoctoring up the planet, they don't set up barriers...gordon Lightfoot, everytime I hear a song of his it's like I wish it would last forever."
witty_owl

Post by witty_owl » Tue May 25, 2004 4:45 pm

Kush, yes, Mr Zimmerman always was a bit of a preacher; which is not to say that he is/was not good at it.
Paul Brady:- I was fortunate enough to see him perform solo last year and he is not only an excellent songwriter but also a compelling and skilled performer with both guitar and keyboard.
I know what Bob means re Gordon Lightfoot. There was a period several years ago when I could not get enough of his music and I was on a quest to search out his new releases. A recent DVD, live in Reno shows the old troubadour still has the goods to put on a class act.

Cheers, Owl.
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen » Tue May 25, 2004 4:51 pm

I believe the song is called 'precious angel" from the album "slow train comming"

P
Kush

Post by Kush » Wed May 26, 2004 4:32 pm

Thanks Peter. I may have heard the song sometime but I didnt recognize it.

WO - Paul Brady was the only unfamiliar name in the group for me. Yeah...I went through a Lightfoot phase too at one time thanks to my much older sibling's music collection. I will have to check out the Reno DVD. Thanks.
Helven

Post by Helven » Thu May 27, 2004 12:09 am

Hello Everyone,

First of all I’d like to say it’s nice to see you again! Maybe someone still remember I left the Forum in quite “severe” mood and with quite “severe” words… But, of course, in fact, I like the Board very much – as well as the site in general – and can say I’ve never seen such an interesting, intelligent and funny (in a good sense) virtual company in any other site. I just was angry a bit :roll: :) … And then was very, very, very busy :shock:

JMFlash,

I missed your questions, but I can try to answer them now.
As for Buddha, no, he’s never considered to be God. Moreover, there’s no God in Buddhism. I mean there’s no God similar to the Christian, Hindu etc. God-creator. Buddhism tells about the six realms of existence (of samsara) or about the six classes of living beings, and gods (including the “chief god” who’s considered to be – but, according to Buddhism, isn’t in fact – a creator of the Universe) are simply a part of that six-fold samsaric world. And there is no essential difference between gods and, for example, human beings. When a sentient being creates a “good karma” (positive actions) s/he can rebirth as a god, then, when this karma is exhausted, s/he rebirths again in one of the lower realms. And Buddha (to greatly simplify) is someone who attained a liberation from samsara and taught the others how to do the same (in Hinayana Buddhism), or someone who realized the true nature of the mind and accomplished all the capacities of the mind (in Mahayana Buddhism) – of course, he also was so kind as to teach the others how to do the same :) .

And as for Tolstoy’s later works, yes, there’re no deep psychology and no “mystery” there. Sometimes it looks like they were written for the children. But when you “stand on the brink”, exhausted and squeezed by all the mysteries and psychological complexities, you know the only thing: all you can do is to try to be a human relying on some simplest truths of human existence (or co-existence). And in spite of the fact that my favourits are some other writings I appreciate those works very much, as well – as an example of those “simple truths”.

Yours,
Helven (Tanya).
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu May 27, 2004 5:23 am

What a Red-Letter couple of Days these have been ~ now Helven/my Tanya :D ! I'm soooooo glad to see you, my dear friend 8) :D ~ Welcome Home ~ !!!

Love,
Elizabeth/Lizzy :D
Helven

Post by Helven » Thu May 27, 2004 12:55 pm

Hi Lizzy :D ,

(I almost always use a full form of your name - perhaps, it seems "officially" a bit but, actually, I simply like this form so much! It sounds so exquisitely, I really like to use it :) .)

Thank you for the welcome, I'm very, very glad to see you, too :D !

Love,
Tanya.
Jo

Post by Jo » Sun May 30, 2004 5:01 am

I mentioned Will Ferguson's Hokkaido Highway Blues earlier in this thread. Here's another extract - life can be a hoot - get pissed and enjoy it. :lol: : (btw - the term pissed off is accepted here as being angry, but plain ole pissed is taken to mean pretty much inebriated.)

There is a Zen saying: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!" This is why I gave up on Zen. It was simply too provocative a statement, one that seemed painfully contrived, like answering the question "What is the Buddha?" with the answer "Dried dung." (An actual exchange between Zen monks.)

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him. Reams of commentary have been written about this statement, much of it of the esoteric angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin variety. Endless interpretations are possible. Semantics are dissected. Debates are waged. It is argued that the Buddha is not a real person but a state of mind, a catalyst to Enlightment. If you think you have met the Buddha, you haven't. The Buddha you can see is not the real Buddha; it is an illusion. Destroy it. Other interpretations have been less esoteric: It is the Buddha you meet on the road, and he must be killed. Why? Because you have to move beyond the realm of opposites, beyond Thou and I, beyond subject and object. Beyond even the Buddha.

One thing that has always puzzled me about Zen, and indeed, most Eastern paths to enlightenment, is that they always end up back where they started. The boy searches for his ox. He finds it. The world dissolves...and then he returns to the market, to the everyday. If Zen Buddhism is about the everyday, why depart at all? Why not simply appreciate the mundane? Why not simply enjoy the flow of characters who enter and depart, the moments that come and go.

If life is an illusion, maybe the illusion is not all that bad. Maybe the illusion is life. Maybe the solution is not breaking through, but pulling back, learning to enjoy the illusion, learning to accept the transient world around us, learning to live among mirages. If that is the case, then Zen is a complete waste of time.

If you meet the Buddha on the road, do not kill him. Hold out your thumb. Who knows, he might just offer you a ride.
"... to make a pale imitation of reality with twenty-six juggled letters"
"... all words are lies because they can only represent one of many levels of being"
Sober noises of morning in a marginal land.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sun May 30, 2004 12:31 pm

"appreciate the mundane......and enjoy the flow of characters......"
Are we now straying into Hinduism? Accepting what is thrown at us in life and finding peace by striving for inner contentment. Or am I writing a load of hogwash?
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Jo

Post by Jo » Sun May 30, 2004 2:04 pm

I'd stray into the corridors of the hot place if it hurt no one and helped me get through nights (days are hazy enough to glide through easily :lol: )

Whatever works for you Byron :D
"... to make a pale imitation of reality with twenty-six juggled letters"
"... all words are lies because they can only represent one of many levels of being"
Sober noises of morning in a marginal land.
witty_owl

Post by witty_owl » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:43 pm

Byron- starting out with hogwash you can end up with a clean pig. :D
Such is life down on the farm. In fact, down on the farm things mundane can become sublime if you have the right angle.
And Jo, as for enjoying the flow of characters;- well that entirely depends on the characters. :wink: Perhaps in retrospect even the most tedious or downright aggravating characters can seem humourous, but at the time.... :( Although I would try to turn the other cheek, mostly I would simply turn a back;- and walk away.

If I met the buddha on the road; a greeting would be in order not a killing. But then I am not looking for hidden meanings while out on the road. No point in holding out a thumb either for I expect he/she would say, "travel your own path and find your own ride". 8) Time to open a bottle of red and get pissed.

Is zenophobia fear of buddhism?

Regards, Owl.

Return to “Comments & Questions”