Clothing Time

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
imaginary friend

Re: Clothing Time

Post by imaginary friend »

Thanks for the move Maarten; don't know where the topic was before, but I missed it completely until today.

I enjoy how Leonard imbues those small details that he wears or carries with an aura of significance and plot-thickening 8)
remote1

Post by remote1 »

I actually know the Camargue fairly well. If you do a Google search for 'Camargue gypsies', you may see that the plot unthickens.
The Pilgrimage in Saintes Maries de la Mer
The Gypsies

Romanies, Manouches, Tziganes and Gitans come from the four corners of Europe and even other continents to venerate their Saint, the Black Sara. They camp on the streets, on the squares, on the beach. During eight to ten days, they are at home. The pilgrimage is also the occasion for reunions of friends and family, and most of the children are baptized in the Church of the Saints.
http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/sain ... rimage.htm
But perhaps best known of all the Camargue's attractions is its Gypsy population. Swarthy black-haired Gypsies - the women clothed in vivid, multi-coloured long skirts and adorned with gaudy gilt bangles and bracelets
http://www.sheldrakepress.demon.co.uk/L ... h0901.html

etc.

Hope this helps! :D
Last edited by remote1 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are so lightly here"
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Thanks for moving this thread Maarten! As we still have almost 4 months of concert tours left, I'm sure we will have several more comments on clothing! BTW, mnkyface, I think you started this thread and I absolutely LOVE the title...great play on words ;-)

All the best,
Diana
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Speaking of the Camargue, LC will be in Nîmes very soon, which is 5 or 6 miles away from the Camargue. In fact the Nîmes-Arles-Camargue Airport is in Saint-Gilles.

So if it is not sold out, you may want to go and hear Leonard in one of his chosen lands...

(Unfortunately I can't as I've got lots of little ones at home; I'm kind of tied). ;-)
"We are so lightly here"
ethanjoshua

Post by ethanjoshua »

That was really nice picture and the suggestions were really worth to watch. I like that very much. I am sure it will help me out. The tie is really nice one I like the pattern of it.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

ethanjoshua,

There are many many more nice pictures here. Keep looking around and enjoy this forum. Welcome - nice to have you here.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Haha, Esther :D .

When I saw your thread's title, I thought it was going to be about the song and the polka dot blouses tactic. Given your thread's title, our antics there seem to have been predestined ;-) .

~ Lizzy :D
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

We all know and love Leonard's fedora. Well, maybe not ALL of us. Thought I'd share this little video clip. The kitten is definitely a Leonard fan but i don't think his mother shares his taste in music or fashion. Poor baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mNB_VG_shc

He did get some consolation, later for his mother's nastiness...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMnpWYaCKB0

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

That is so adorable - even people who don't like cats will probably have an 'aww, how cute' moment. How in the world did they manage to keep the fedora on his head?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

[Disclaimer: This topic is a tad tangential - if that is possible for a thread that includes bolo ties and kittens]

A line from a Leonard Cohen poem, "I am locked in a very expensive suit" (the first line of The Suit), has inspired a clothing line by Soulland, which has been well-received by the fashion press.
Soulland500.jpg
My own take on the effort is congruent with the grimace on the face of the model in the ad, who is, I believe, thinking something on the lines of “Wow, I am locked in a very expensive suit and it sucks.” As I point out,
... while comparing wan lads clad in what is apparently cutting edge fashion to Leonard Cohen wearing a grownup’s suit is modestly amusing if a tad unsporting, ...
In any case, my post on this clothing line and its connection to Leonard Cohen is Does This Fashion Suit Leonard Cohen? at http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/06/28/does- ... ard-cohen/.

The post also refers to the Raf Simons line brought out a couple of years ago that was inspired by the line, “There is a crack in everything that’s how the light gets in.” (See Throwing In The Leonard Cohen (Beach) Towel at http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/01/07/throw ... ach-towel/.
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Dr. H Guy, from the pictures on your site, I'd say those designers missed the mark miserably in trying to capture Leonard's style. I had to LOL at the V-neck w/shorts worn with dress shoes and black socks. Geesh! It couldn't look any worse with sandals and socks. And that hat that's supposed to be some kind of combination fedora and baseball cap....2 words: UGH LEEEEE!!!!! Thanks for sharing these atrocities.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

Lilifyre wrote:Dr. H Guy, from the pictures on your site, I'd say those designers missed the mark miserably in trying to capture Leonard's style. I had to LOL at the V-neck w/shorts worn with dress shoes and black socks. Geesh! It couldn't look any worse with sandals and socks. And that hat that's supposed to be some kind of combination fedora and baseball cap....2 words: UGH LEEEEE!!!!! Thanks for sharing these atrocities.

Lili
Re the short pants, ...

To be fair, there is documentation of Leonard in a shorts ensemble that seems to be what we'd call back home Sunday-go-to-meeting (Sabbath-go-to-synagogue?) clothes.
tikeontrypke2.jpg
Last edited by DrHGuy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Dr HGuy, I love that pic of Leonard on the tricycle. He was so cute back then. But even at...what? probably 3 or 4?.....he had way more class than those "wan lads" from the ads. LOL. As for Leonard in the cutoffs, well, he's always been a very sexy man. Like his voice, his sex appeal has matured and aged like a fine wine over the years. He has a universal sex appeal found in very few, that attracts all regardless of sexual/gender identity. The only other person I can think of who comes close to that same universal appeal is Johnny Depp.

I still hate the stupid hat....LOL.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
bkmccalla

Post by bkmccalla »

lizzytysh wrote:Haha, Esther :D .

When I saw your thread's title, I thought it was going to be about the song and the polka dot blouses tactic. Given your thread's title, our antics there seem to have been predestined ;-) .

gn
~ Lizzy :D
hi lizzy, i'm a little confused (what else is new i hear some of you saying) by what you say here "our antics there," but did you know/not know that esther started the whole polka dot blouse thing/phenomenon at one of the oakland (april 2009) concerts? yep, the night i first met her (we were both at the lyon concert but didn't know each other then), i was standing in the lobby with friscogrl marsha when esther comes running through the lobby with a polka dot blouse hanging out of one of her back pockets and i thought "god, she's not only beautiful, our mnkyface, she's also damned clever, why didn't i think of that, damn it..."

she almost chickened out when it came time to lob it but i wouldn't let her and dragged her up to the front row next to me (she climbed over some seats and some clueless person thought it was rude!!!) so she could throw it so it had a chance of hitting its mark. so, when i emulated her in san jose it was partially an homage to the brilliant and beautiful mnkyface whose idea it was originally -- esther, why weren't you up there with us??? where were you, god, my memory sucks... (do i have most of these facts correct, esther? do your memories of the events differ from mine? it was all so exciting and seems so long ago, nancy...)

love to all,
bonnie
1970, 1983, 1988, 1993/Lyon July 9/Bruges July 10/Amsterdam July 12/Lisbon July 19/Nice July 22/Lucca July 27/Rome July 28/Athens July 30/Beacon February 19/Oakland April 13, 14, 15/Kingston May 22/London May 24/Ottawa May 25, 26/Red Rocks June 4/Las Vegas November 12/San Jose November 13/Las Vegas December 2011 x2/San Jose November 2012/Oakland March 2, 3 2013...i've obviously lost my mind...
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Hi Bonnie! I was throwing blouses from the 4th row in San Jose...next to MaryB and right behind Lizzy and LadyDi. I think one of mine hit you in the back of the head. :lol: But you just passed it right on to Leonard, thank you! You were amazing! It was such an awesome, coordinated effort planned by Mary and executed beautifully. In Oakland I actually had time to think (too much!)...and stress (will he see it? will he be annoyed? will he trip over it? will I trip? :roll: ) ... but it was nice in that I was able to reach edge of stage which was about shoulder height- no throwing needed- and lay it practically at his feet.
*sigh* Good times.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Return to “Comments & Questions”