BOB DYLAN IS A GREATER SONGSTER THAN LEONARD COHEN

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
rocksoff

BOB DYLAN IS A GREATER SONGSTER THAN LEONARD COHEN

Post by rocksoff » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:05 pm

imo Bob has composed many more great songs -music, plus lyrics - than Len. Idiot Wind, Desolation Row, Visions of Johanna, are examples of Bob's more than 600 back catalogue. IMO Lenny is in a different league. Bob gets an A Plus. lenny receives an A or B plus.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:08 pm

R,

Your opinion has shown prior to this posting.

~Lizzytysh
Scaredofcopsandteachers

Post by Scaredofcopsandteachers » Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:55 am

You're scary, Rocksoff. What other sorts of things do you grade people on?
rocksoff

Post by rocksoff » Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:46 am

On whether they are human or animal, ranging from 0 (completely animal) to 50 (half animal/half human) to 100 (completely like me). Those who earn a 100 rating are few, in fact really it's one one person, namely me. Most others I rate below me, especially Smile, who receives a minus 100. On a good day.
George.Wright

Dylan and Cohen

Post by George.Wright » Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:50 am

No comparison, even on a rocksoff day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Georges
passing thru

Post by passing thru » Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:28 am

Given the respect Dylan has for Leonard and his own typical self-descriptions ("I'm the song & dance man", I'm not in the high-falutin' area, more in the burlesque area"), Dylan would hardly presume to compare himself with Leonard, although that honour would be richly deserved.
Anyway, everybody will have their own opinion, so who's to say which is right ? Let us appreciate both.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:29 am

As I read about Dylan's 600 songs, compared to Leonard's lesser number, it occurred to me that I don't recall hearing anything about Bob Dylan poetry. So, I went Searching and found sites relating to Dylan and his song lyrics, yet no mention anywhere of poetry. This leads me believe that if he's written some, it's probably not been much, or it's not been shared. Whichever, I suspect it's more likely that he's a songwriter vs. a songwriter/poet/author. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know [as I'm certain you will :lol: ].

So, even though Dylan's written 600 songs, if viewed from the perspective of total words, carefully committed to paper in artistic, philosophical, emotional, etc. expression, Leonard is now rounding the curve on the inside track, and if he was a race horse, I'd bet on him.

All good things,
Lizzytysh
smile

Post by smile » Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:54 pm

I agree no comparison LC forever....
Life is love so treasure every day.........
George.Wright

Lc and Dylan

Post by George.Wright » Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:59 pm

LC has not only gained greatness in the music industry but as a leading writer and poet of the 20thC.
Nuff said..............................Georges
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:15 pm

Dear Passing Thru....Even though I infinitely prefer Cohen to Dylan ~ at least with his earlier material, Bob will always strike a deep chord with me [though not the secret one ~ only Leonard has access to that :)]. I agree with appreciating them both, regardless.

All good things,
Lizzytysh
rocksoff

Post by rocksoff » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:00 am

Still Bob has created relatively many more of the greatest songs the worls has heard, than LC. It takes LC so long to produce songs to his lyrics...like some of them have taken years...but Bob has for much of the four decades rattled them off. And LC has of course called Dylan the Picasso of song, and has bowed down to his genius, creativity, and versatility. Even Lc recognises that he can't compare to Bob. Nobody can or has. It will be an impossible act to follow.
Henrik

Post by Henrik » Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:36 pm

Bob is a genious, although apparently a very restless one. Not too much into perfecting all his great ideas. (As for me I don't care. I love his best albums). You're A Big Girl Now, for instance, one of my favourites. Perfect chord-structure and atmosphere. Lyrically the first verse is perfect too. But that's the only one he really nailed. The rest surely could use a hand like... Mr Leonard Cohen's.
I'd vote for Leonard Cohen as the only real poet on the rock scene.
The songs he's written is up to match the perfection of Baudelaire's sonnets.
Bob Dylan is nowhere near. Could have been.
Me, I am just a little boy rambler on web message boards.

Love to all. :roll:
Kush

Post by Kush » Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:57 pm

Dylan has never achieved (or tried to) the lyrical precision of LC. But he is far more versatile in the issues he has written about and has taken more musical risks. Also, the very lack of lyrical precision brings out raw emotions like nobody can (hear Idiot Wind, It's Alright Ma). LC is more of a sage, his songs are more wise, more all-knowing...Dylan is more human. He is able to express more anger, spite, love and other emotions because he knows and understands less than Cohen in his songs (figuratively speaking). Also, some of Dylans lyrics don't make any sense.....but it is so funny to visualize the images ("Einstein sniffing drainpipes", "Shakespeare in his pointed boots and hat"). On the other hand some have become anthems for many causes around the world - that's the versatility. In an interview, LC once commented that during his Christian phase Dylan alienated many fans but also wrote some of the finest gospel songs (e.g., Every Grain of Sand). And he is presently masquerading as a bluesman. I agree he is very restless and soon gets bored of any one genre.
And of course he has written about 5 times as many songs...so there is always more to delve into.

Neither is my favorite songwriter so this opinion (and it is only that) can be considered as relatively impartial.
smile

Post by smile » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:35 pm

Excellent Kush well put!
Life is love so treasure every day.........
peter danielsen

Who gives a damn

Post by peter danielsen » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:38 pm

This discussion seems (like many others started by rock-the fuck out of here) like the ones little children have : my dad is stronger than yours.

Some Cohen songs are great, som Dylan songs are great. None of them will recieve a medal.

my dick is hard
my heart is weak
I have to go out
and take a leak
(Peter Danielsen)

Return to “Comments & Questions”