The Partisan - the original lyrics and English translation?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
piñata heart

Re: "Partisan" translation

Post by piñata heart » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 pm

This is an interesting debate and I have a story to share about the subject.

I lived in Barcelona for a while and, while I was there, I came to know a Quebecois who was a classical guitarist. He told me that he travelled to France frequently and had found that certain women really loved his accent. At the time I wasn't even familiar with the differences in the dialects, but he demonstrated them for me and it became quite obvious.

The way he put it, some women in France see the French-Canadian accent as kind of a "dirty version" of the language. Hence, making the speaker kind of a "dirty boy" of sorts. According to him, some women found it sexy. Almost as if they were with a rough and dangerous man.

Keep in mind, I'm just relaying what he told me and can't say much about the validity of it. He was just some poor sod I shared my bread and wine with on occasion.
Cate

Post by Cate » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:00 pm

hydriot wrote:Okay, I confess that my love of metropolitan French and dislike of colonial French can be blamed on this lady. I think most males will agree that metropolitan French is the sexiest of all languages when spoken or sung by a beautiful woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwIxr2YI ... re=related
Well I can't argue that reasoning - she is indeed as beautiful as is her voice.
piñata heart wrote:According to him, some women found it sexy. Almost as if they were with a rough and dangerous man.
Okay to be honest and I should be because Hydriot was, my fondness for the Quebec accent probably has more to do with what you mentioned above then my love of wildflowers. Not that I have ever 'been' with a man that has that accent, I just ask them to repeat things over and over again for future reference.
piñata heart

Post by piñata heart » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:13 pm

Ah, Cate. You have me suddenly wishing I were French-Canadian!

Tell me...what does the accent of a poor debauched boy from Detroit do for you? :lol:
Cate

Post by Cate » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:18 pm

:oops:
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:18 am

The link to Francoise Hardy appears to have been taken down. I've now edited my original post, and provided this link to the same song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOd_5ZRPmFs

Interesting to think of sophisticated Parisien ladies going moist at the sound of a bit of rough from Quebec! Can't imagine what the British equivalent would be.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:25 am

Hmmm...perhaps some bloke from Liverpool? ;-) But hopefully they wouldn't be wearing white socks....

However, I did want to mention that I (as a woman) have positively adored Francoise Hardy since the 1960's! I had several of her albums but was able to upgrade them to cd's. An astonishing voice! And a beautiful woman!

Diana
News Gal

Post by News Gal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:51 am

Hydriot, that is one hot file. Thanks for the link!
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
Darling

Post by Darling » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:23 am

Hum hum... I stumbled upon this topic when I did a search for the Quebec concert...

Perhaps it is time for someone from Quebec to step in even though it's a bit late?

Hello Cate, long time no 'see'! Thanks to you and NewsGal for defending us and our 'bastardized' French while I was enjoying myself here in Thailand! 8)

First of all, Quebec French (as the Maritimes' Acadien) is often closer to Old French than Parisian French. So if one is bastardized, it's not ours... As far as inventing it, our ancestors were in France when it was 'invented'.
Second, there are a lot of different accents in France too and Parisians tend to look down on them all.
Third, in Quebec as anywhere else in the world, there are different levels of language. There are people who talk 'pointu' (imitating parisian accent), there is a more standardized French, the kind you will usually hear on Radio-Canada's newscasts for example and at the other extreme there is what we call 'joual' , a deformation of 'cheval' which is a kind of slang. Of course 'joual' can be very difficult to understand for non-local people and sometimes very vulgar, just as any slang anywhere.

Personnally, I have never had any problem being understood or understanding French speakers from other countries. We generally just have a lot of fun comparing each others different expressions. BTW NewsGal: 'Huitante' comes from your Brussel teacher's belgian accent, we don't use it in Quebec which is too bad because I really like it :) . They also use 'septante' and 'nonante' and the French-Swiss also I think.

Of course anyone has the right to prefer one accent over another, personnally I can't resist the South of France accent, but you don't need to insult others when stating your preferences. And Françoise Hardy could sing the phone book in any language, it would still sound sexy...
caz

Post by caz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:57 pm

It's 1969, I'm doing French O level, and I can't quite get all the lines in The Partisan. So I ask our French Assistante (Annique, who just happens to be French) to help out. She dutifully writes down for me 'Ils me dirent "Signe toi" / Mais je n'ai pas peur'.......

So: all these years I've been singing it wrong, but I think I can be excused, under the circumstances! Now I've read the correct words (which I now see make perfect sense) I wonder how she got it so wrong with the tenses. Anyway: now corrected, I can sing along with confidence now, so thanks to all who have pointed out the error of my - and her - ways!
News Gal

Post by News Gal » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:17 pm

No problem with the defense, Darling :) Thanks for the Brussels accent factoid too, it's been so many years I got confused LOL.

The same thing happens with Italian, although fewer people worldwide speak the language. There's the standard, sometimes called Toscano, which is what I learned, and what I used when I got my start in radio. Then there are dialects of Italian that are close, but not quite, such as Calabrian and Piedmontese. Then you have divergent Italic languages, like Sicilian (it has a lot of Greek and Arabic in it making it nearly unintelligible to Italian speakers--I had to start from scratch learning it after Italian.)

What I always disliked was people equating the use of a certain dialect with intelligence or educational attainment.
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
Darling

Post by Darling » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:13 am

News Gal wrote: What I always disliked was people equating the use of a certain dialect with intelligence or educational attainment.
Yes, so do I :roll: I find it very annoying and also very unfortunate since because it contributes partly to many regional accents and dialects disappearing and everytime one does it is a piece of human culture and history that disappears with it. :(

Going back to The Partisan , the accent you hear is definitely not a Quebec accent, it is LC's own accent from the English. And Cate, don't feel too bad, it really does sound like 'peur'.

It's true that when LC speaks French as he did in Moncton and in Saguenay his French is not perfect, but we don't mind. On the contrary, his efforts showed a lot of respect which was greatly appreciated (more than you can imagine) and made French speakers love him even more !

I can't believe I don't have a ticket to the Quebec show. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cate

Post by Cate » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi Darling, I just saw your name. Glad to see you back!
Is it okay that I'm a little jealous about your trip to Thailand? That is definitely on my list of places I would love to go one day. I hope you had an amazing time.

I guess you missed the Quebec sale but think about Kingston, only a couple of hours by train.
I just peeked to see if they had any tickets before suggesting to you and the have second row in the center available!!! - We bought in the pre-sale and are in the forth row (which I'm happy with). I think maybe these are unused VIP seats or something ....

Thank you for your insinuation that I was defending the Quebec accent, but to be honest I'm not sure that, 'but it makes my cheeks warm', is much of a defense for a language :)
Your points were much more interesting and valid; I'm glad you also mentioned Acadian French.
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:29 pm

Darling - I'm so happy that someone finally noted that LC's French accent is not a Quebec or French Canadian accent. It is his own brand of heavily accented Anglo French. While I know it certainly isn't the best French, I do find it so charming, especially in Un Canadien Errant, a favourite of mine. Probably I wouldn't find it so charming in anyone other than LC, however!

I would also underscore that no accent should be considered a bastardization - how awful. Certainly there are some, to my ear anyone, less than lovely French accents (particularly around the Ottawa Valley), but it is a subjective matter I believe. I've heard some French in France that was also rather less than beautiful. There are a number of French accents across Quebec and across Canada.

Regarding English accents, I certainly don't appreciate the 'proper' or 'original' English accent (whatever that my be) nearly as much as I love a beautiful Irish lilt. Heavenly - not an easy task for a language that I don't think is inherently pleasant to listen to (as compared to French or Russian, for example).

Just my humble opinion of course!
Happy Easter to all who celebrate.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
News Gal

Post by News Gal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:59 am

Hey there Sochijava!

I'm finding that as I work more in radio, with the headphones on so much, I'm having a harder time telling some sounds apart. It's good to have some better ears around here LOL.

I agree, English is not a very pretty language to listen to. My language, Cherokee, isn't really too pretty to listen to either because it's very nasally and has tones, making it sound a lot like Cantonese. It does look neat when written in syllabics though.
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:19 am

Hi News Gal - is that Cherokee script in your signature? It looks just beautiful, so unique (to my eyes in any case). My brother-in-law is Ojibwe, so I have heard some Objibwe, but not a great amount. One of the most interesting English accents I've heard is Inuit - very distinctive and completely different from any other English accent I've heard. Of course the Inuit language itself is also incredibly interesting. Languages, dialects, accents - all so rich, so much to learn from each language or interpretation of a language or dialect.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.

Return to “Comments & Questions”