Who else has a crush on Dino Soldo?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
ladydi

Re: Who else has a crush on Dino Soldo?

Post by ladydi » Mon May 04, 2009 12:07 am

Hi Kelsey,

What a lovely name for your daughter, and what a interesting story (well, I guess at the time it wasn't much fun for you ;-) ) of how you came up with the spelling! It indeed has a beautiful Gaelic ring to it. I'm sure you'll come up with an equally lovely name for the new little one!

Hope you guys are feeling better. I too am amazed at how Leonard and the entire entourage keeps going day after day, city after city, continent after continent, and everyone always seems well. Yes...I want the secret! After returning from Phoenix I came down with the worst cold ever. Ended up at the Dr and missed several days work, and I'm the original vitamins, herbs and organics gal :? Maybe I need more junk food ;-)

The silver lining is that you will be healthy again when we are all lined up in Row 2 at Red Rocks :D :D

Btw, I checked out both Dino's and Javier's my space! Thanks...they were great!

All the best,
Diana
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue May 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Twitter is coming to a television near you
Diana! You and your twitterbird nestmates are going to be on TV! Don't have the proper link for it, but have heard it mentioned several times on NPR over the weekend. This is just the tiny blurb.

Okay... here it is, the link to your future ;-) :
http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo ... L520090526

and the little bit that it says about it [after all, it IS twitter, right?]:
Twitter eyes foray into TV
Mon May 25, 2009 11:37pm EDT

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - How's this for a tweet? Twitter is coming to a television near you.

The social-networking and micro-blogging service is developing the first TV series that incorporates Twitter into the action of the show.

Created by novelist Amy Ephron, sister of Nora and Delia Ephron, the untitled show will feature ordinary people competing while on the trail of celebrities.

Twitter has partnered on the project with production companies Reveille ("The Office") and Brillstein Entertainment Partners ("Samantha Who?").

(Editing by Dean Goodman)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Sun May 31, 2009 2:08 am

A crush on Dino Soldo? Well... not exactly... but huge admiration for his instrumental skill - AND he makes me laugh! He's SUCH a show-off! I was seated almost directly facing him at the Birmingham NEC Arena in the UK, and he several times distracted my attention from LC with his antics: but he is a truly amazing wind instrumentalist! I wonder if there is any wind instrument he can't play?
I did look him up on utube quite soon after the concert, and have seen him showing off MUCH more extravagantly than he did when I saw him. And I love people who make me laugh. :lol: So... maybe a little crush! :lol: :lol:
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Sun May 31, 2009 3:05 am

Fljotsdale wrote:A crush on Dino Soldo? Well... not exactly... but huge admiration for his instrumental skill - AND he makes me laugh! He's SUCH a show-off! I was seated almost directly facing him at the Birmingham NEC Arena in the UK, and he several times distracted my attention from LC with his antics: but he is a truly amazing wind instrumentalist! I wonder if there is any wind instrument he can't play?
I did look him up on utube quite soon after the concert, and have seen him showing off MUCH more extravagantly than he did when I saw him. And I love people who make me laugh. :lol: So... maybe a little crush! :lol: :lol:
I also was lucky once to sit directly in front of Dino Soldo. I agree - his musical virtuosity is extraordinary. What also impressed me was how hard he worked, continually switching instruments, wind, brass, stringed and keyboards, lightning quick, no pause and never missing a beat. Awesome.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 am

bridger15 wrote:
Fljotsdale wrote:A crush on Dino Soldo? Well... not exactly... but huge admiration for his instrumental skill - AND he makes me laugh! He's SUCH a show-off! I was seated almost directly facing him at the Birmingham NEC Arena in the UK, and he several times distracted my attention from LC with his antics: but he is a truly amazing wind instrumentalist! I wonder if there is any wind instrument he can't play?
I also was lucky once to sit directly in front of Dino Soldo. I agree - his musical virtuosity is extraordinary. What also impressed me was how hard he worked, continually switching instruments, wind, brass, stringed and keyboards, lightning quick, no pause and never missing a beat. Awesome.
Yes. Awesome. Good word. 8) ;-)
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Dino is great but this is what I call "to play the saxophone" (also, Was Not Was brothers on back-ups are great) > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2T274bXIxU
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:09 am

ah, but Dino is not as hairy. :)
And I imagine Sonny doesn't look as good in a porkpie hat. Just guessing of course. :razz:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by MaryB » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:01 am

Oh no, no - give me the current musical arrangement any day over this other. The sax is overpowering and detracts from the song itself. Dino knows when to be subtle and his body language is sooooo much better :D .

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:25 pm

Hm, quite opposite - during the Summer 2008 tour Dino was detracting from Leonard's music and the word "subtle" was the very last to come to mind when Soldo is in question. Some of his solos weren't recognisable as the part of the songs at all, and also, his body movement is highly inappropriate for Leonard Cohen's music. Much criticism was said by old fans here and after the shows. I myself was quite shocked. But i didn't mind because this tour in a way is the celebration of Leonard Cohen's music - long solos, showing off by young band members, long ovations, repeated introductions...

I had an impression in Lucca that whole band was in ecstasy like Leonard himself (and HIS body language is amazing - on my first show ever, I didn't even notice any band member until the intermission, that's how deep was my shock of seeing LC in flesh). Only Dino was trembling like on a rave concert, and I had impression that everybody, being in that solemn mood, simply ignored that. In any case, during that show (and some others) LC did cut off his solos with "Thank you, Dino" (and some people saw Dino's unhappy face after that). Anyhow, until Fall the school was going on, and Dino became quite good and started to serve the music and the band (not vice versa). His solos became recognisable in the melody of songs in which they were placed. He had the skill but he learned emotion, and alas, he learned how to be more humble in music.

Of course, the original Leonard's sax player who served the songs was the best - Paul Ostermayer. Here's Famous Blue Raincoat performed on German TV in 1979: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiODhEHn530 It's always joy to hear him on recordings from 1979, 1980, and 1993 tours, as well on Warnes' album doing that sax solo on Famous Blue Raincoat.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:41 pm

Respectfully disagree Tom. Sonny is great, no doubt, but I must admit I had the feeling of tapping my foot waiting for him to finish his solos. And the ending is just painful, imo. Talk about solos "not recognizable in the melody of songs in which they were placed"! Do love his accompaniment while LC is actually singing though.

Anyway, I disagree about Dino not serving the songs well. He is playing MANY instruments, not just sax, INCREDIBLY well, breathing new life into the songs (he is master of breath after all :)) and his youthful energy/body language only add to his performance, and the concert overall. I have been to 3 concerts (I know it's not many compared to some here) and probably watched every Youtube video since Fredericton (really- I live on youtube- it's quite sad :lol: ) and have never seen Dino's playing or behavior as self-indulgent, nor had the impression that Leonard or the band felt that. In fact I don't really know about this 'solemn mood" that you mention. And if Dino was ever "trembling like he was on a rave concert", I don't blame him - so was I. :lol:

"Leonard Cohen rocks!" is a comment I see more and more on YouTube and blogs and elsewhere online these days, and Dino is an expression of this. When I watched clips from Coachella, and saw that YOUNG audience crazy for LC, I also noticed Dino's beaming smile when he and the band realized the magic that was happening there. In those moments it was not just a smile of a happy performer, it was the smile of a peer to that audience, a smile that said "yeah, you guys get it."

Dino gets it.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by tomsakic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:15 pm

I just like to be critical from time to time :) I can see your arguments, and as I said, I grew to like his work, but initially I was really not into it, as long as his sax was in question on Bird on the Wire i.e. Other stuff is just great he's playing, like in Gypsy's Wife.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:24 pm

What gets me every time about that YouTube video with Leonard Cohen and Sonny Rollins is when Don Was breaks out of his gentle backup singer role – three times! And three times, I burst out laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol: I think you can see Julie Christensen laughing with the third outburst and I swear I can see a hint of a smile pass over Leonard’s face as well. :)

I love live performances and collaboration of fine musicians/singers – and I wish that there was more of the likes of this available on television. The show “Night Music” lasted only a couple of years!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Night

Regarding television shows, sometimes PBS will air video of good live performances but you usually have to wait for their fundraisers. American Idol has become so powerful and encompassing in the biz that good artists are now going on that show for exposure and to promote a new album - because that is the forum that is available - to reach a large viewing audience. But I wish the show would go away now – :lol: I think we have enough idols already. ;-) We need more “night music.” And not shows relegated to the wee small hours as that show was. So - like mnkyface – I find myself spending a lot of time on YouTube searching for good live performances!

BUT - Bridger recently posted an excellent article about Roscoe Beck and this tour and the hiring of the musicians, and working with Leonard Cohen.

A couple of excerpts (Roscoe Beck responding to questions):
“Once the auditions were concluded, and the band was in place, in the early stages since many of the musicians were new to the band, except Bob Metzger and Sharon Robinson and myself, Leonard would give guidance to the musicians, in terms of learning the songs. But the musicians are of such a high calibre that he’d let them learn the material and kinda sat back and said, “Let’s see what they come up with.” Leonard has been very positive all along about this tour. Of course, choosing the musicians was difficult and we had many good players and good singers to choose from and that was a little difficult, but I’ve said since – the right people just showed up, the right people came to us.”
-and-
“He really cares about his music and he cares about the audience that’s going to hear it. And he really wants the performance to be something very memorable. He cares about each and every performance, he really does. And he wants the band to be very good. When we were hiring, his only instructions to me where: “Rossie” – that’s what he calls me sometimes – “I only want the best band on the road this year.” No pressure, then.”
http://www.uncut.co.uk/music/leonard_co ... ures/12478

Leonard Cohen has impeccable taste in singers and musicians. Just as there is naturally a time of adjustment for all on stage when there are new band members, I am learning that there is also an adjustment that the fans go through as well - with a lot of discussion and invariably longing for the good old days. But - it's all good usually - moving on. It does not detract in any way from what has been. Kudos to Roscoe Beck regarding putting together these wonderful musicians and singers. Yup - I think he did as Leonard asked - found the best.

I have been to a meager “one” show only – but then – and it wasn’t so meager! I was in total awe of each and every one of the wonderful musicians and singers and how they worked together - with each other and with Leonard Cohen. And the respect they had for Leonard Cohen – and he for them. Of course, Leonard Cohen was simply wonderful. And altogether, the show was the best of the best. A work of art.

BUT – this is Dino’s thread. I think, along with his excellent musicianship and versatility, Dino brings a great energy and enthusiasm to the show, and what appears to be a heartfelt love for what he is doing.

About Dino Soldo I say – he rawks!!
:D 8) :D
Dino Soldo.jpg
Dino Soldo.jpg (17.99 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
Dino-Anthem.jpg
Dino-Anthem.jpg (17.48 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
Dino Soldo.jpg
Dino Soldo.jpg (17.99 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
Attachments
Dino- Democracy.jpg
Dino- Democracy.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:03 am

Fljotsdale :D ! You finally got to see Leonard perform Live!?! THAT is AWESOME 8) !!! I am So Happy to see this... which concert did you attend and where did you sit?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:52 pm

This is a quick little video of "Everybody Knows" from Red Rocks. Unfortunately my camera ran out of memory or it would be longer :( , but it's a quick glimpse of "our" Dino in motion. :D Love his smile at 51 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbCkzYYA_k
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:32 pm

LOOOOOOOOVE it, Diana! If only it hadn't had to end, Dang It All!!! And this time at Red Rocks, Dino went to down to where his head was almost touching the floor and he was reaching waaaay up to the keyboards. You're right on the smile, too ~ Priceless on it all! Glad you did it... thanks!

How can you NOT love that movement!?! Such whole-bodied into it!!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”