Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Kaui - You have arrived at the right place. I wish I could greet you with joy, but at least please know we are happy you've come to be amongst us in all of our loss. We understand. If you stay and immerse yourself here and in the Files, you will learn more about Leonard than you ever dreamed possible. With that, I also suggest that you go to Marie's site Speaking Cohen, as well.

All the best,
Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Alexandra - A melancholy welcome to you, too. Yours was the last entry on this thread prior to his death. I'm sorry that you weren't able to be more participatory earlier on. We Welcome you, anyway, and hope you will stay.

All the best, Elizabeth/Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
Kaui

Post by Kaui »

Lizzy - Thanks for the welcome, I'm struggling with the tech side. I don't seem to be able to log in on tapa talk app on my phone, and I've never used a program like this one. I don't "do code." I've been surprised in commenting online in blogs how nasty the comments have been, so I really appreciate your post.

Kaui
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Kaui wrote:I don't seem to be able to log in on tapa talk app on my phone, and I've never used a program like this one
I haven't had much luck with Tapatalk lately, either. - So maybe you're better off simply using the web browser of your phone.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Speaking of non-techno, Kaui, I don't even know what Tapatalk is. I do know [at least] that I use my phone's browser... except now, where I'm at the library.
~ Oscar Wilde
lcbuddy

Post by lcbuddy »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I wanted to thank you for allowing me to join esp at this time.
My late husband and I were faithful Cohen fans. Being from Montreal I knew him from ' back in the day'.
We both saw him perform at every opportunity.
The memories of us getting together with friends over the years, we'd drink wine and play Leonard's songs on guitar. I loved to sing. So many good times. Over the years I would put his music on once everyone had gone to bed and I might have that one more glass of wine in me. Then it was just the two of us.
When my husband died I was so afraid I would lose my Leonard too as it would be too painful to listen. I didn't have to worry, Leonard (in his words) "became my ground, my safe and sound" I found solace and solitude in his music, his voice, his grace. I grieved for the loss of my best friend and Leonard's music continued to carry me when my grief was like a weight inside my body. I loved knowing he was on the same planet. He was alive. He was out there.
He was under the same sky.
His death has hit me very hard. Maybe It's because it's a final breaking of a tie to my past that my husband and I shared. I don't really know. Maybe it's just because I loved him so much. Maybe it's just because and there are no words to convey the pain I feel with his passing.
I found my way here because I need to be among people who understand. Who won't raise an eyebrow and say "why are you crying, he's just a singer".....
I've read some of the posts and can see I'm in the right place. I have found fans who were devoted to him and loved him as much as I do.
I thank God for his music and I thank God for letting me share the earth with this remarkable and gracious man.
My condolences to his family. His friends and his fans.
This post is long, I had so much inside that needed to be freed.
Thanks again and I'll check back often.
surrender

Post by surrender »

Dear lcbuddy,
thank you for your touching introduction; I'm sure your words resonate with many of us.
Thank you for joining the forum.

Kind regards,
Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
anny

Post by anny »

thank you for sharing Icbuddy

anny
left

Post by left »

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I won't hide behind a finger and say right away that the very reason for subscribing is that I'm looking for a specific 2013 bootleg (see the Collector's section).
This concert was the only chance that me and my girlfriend had to see Mr. Cohen that summer and it would have been our first one.
It was a 5 hours car travel, so we left early, to have a couple of spare hours before the show. Nevertheless along the road we got caught in a 24km long queue... So we waited and waited and waited, took a diversion when it was possible to do so, got -obviously- lost in the middle of nowhere, watched our "spare hours" become "delay" starting to despair... but even if extremely late I wanted to get there anyway. I thought that even an half-final-song would have deserved the trip. The tickets were paid anyway. We finally arrived in Mannheim about an hour and a half late, got laughed at by the parking guys... but we found that he was STILL playing!
And as we found out later, we still had about another hour and a half to see and to hear and to enjoy. It was incredible, even if incomplete. Or maybe exactly for that reason. Absolutely magic.

And now, with his death, it all took even more meaning, something that I really won't ever forget.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

A very warm and loving welcome to both of you, lcbuddy and left.
Left... I hope you are able to locate a bootleg of that concert, and that you remained determined in your quest to arrive. I can tell it was magic... and Leonard's encores added to the time you shared with him.

Dear lcbuddy ~ Such a moving introduction of yourself. My heart resonates with what you've described. Just knowing that Leonard was alive in this world brought me immeasurable comfort. I'm wondering if you have shared your words here on the thread in the upper portion of the News section, where all that is written will be shared with Adam and the rest of Leonard's family. I know they would appreciate how you feel in Leonard's absence.

It's the first thread and titled Leonard has passed away. I encourage you to go there, as well, left, and share your own experience and gratitude for Leonard's life.

Much love to both of you,
Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
LizaJane

Post by LizaJane »

Hello all,
Just to introduce myself. My grief is twofold - sadness that Leonard Cohen has passed, and even more sadness that I did not learn of him until he did. Feeling foolish and bereft for having missed out on this lovely man.
I had heard his name, and heard many of his songs. Amazed at how many of his songs are out there to which I know all the words.
Somehow, though, I never learned of him, and what a wonderful man he was. Listening to his music is an amazing experience - guess I'll have to settle for that, because I'll never, now, have the opportunity to hear him live.
Reading here, have learned that his performances were amazing.
So, have come here a little too late. At least I have the rest of my life to listen to his recordings.
Fondly,
Ruthie
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

I have belatedly found this forum, and it was during the process of ordering "You Want It Darker" LP that I did so.

I cannot claim to be a long term fan of Leonard, as others here have had a much longer relationship. And it was though such a fan that I found his music. In 1990 at work, we had a Secret Santa/Kris Kringle (where you draw out the name of a colleague at Chrismas and have to buy them a small present - some of the presents can be serious,bland (generic store gift cards) or a joke/novelty (especially if you are friends with your recipient)). I opened mine and it was a CD of Leonard's first album. The "joke" here was that people knew I loved punk music. I smiled and thanked Santa.

Anyway, I took the CD home and soon after, played it while I was working around the house, not really focussed on it. "Not bad" was my first impression. Later, I played it in the car, a bit louder, and more focussed. "Hmm, really not bad". Third time, house to myself, played on the stereo quite loud. "Hmm, I really do like this"!

The thing about Secret Santa is that it is supposed to be a secret. However, I worked with an old "hippy" (I'll call him "Tony") who I knew was a Bob Dylan and Neil Young fan from the '60s and, I suspected, a Leonard fan. He also knew I liked punk. Further, he had a smirk on his face before I opened my present. So, I confronted him and he confessed! He then asked me if I liked it. When I told him "yes" he said "I knew you would"! Since then "Tony" gave me lots and lots of older, more obscure music (and I, in turn, introduced him to some newer but not-so-poppy music).

And since then, I was a fan of Leonard. I only got to see him 3 times, including one Day On the Green, all in the post-2000s and they were all brilliant concerts. Even in his last concert a couple of years ago, Leonard skipped onto stage, and played for over 2 hours. Such energy for someone in his then late 70s. And such respect for his fellow musicians on stage.

So, thank you "Tony". And thank you Leonard.
jmas49

Post by jmas49 »

Hello to one and all. I read a recent article in Rolling Stone magazine about LC. I was aware of his music, but never followed him - until now. The article sparked my interest, and as a result, I've been digging for further information about this truly unique man.

In my searches, I stumbled across leonardcohenfiles.com. I've never seen a website that has so much valuable information! Jarkko Arjatsalo is to be applauded for his efforts in creating and maintaining such a marvelous website. A tip of the hat to him.
imprice

Post by imprice »

Just wanted to say Hi and how pleased I am to have joined. :)
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

I am new here. I am sorry to say that until very recently I didn't know much about Leonard Cohen except that he was very important and not just because he wrote "Hallelujah". I kept meaning to check him him out, because his name was always popping up here and there, and references were made with something close to reverence. And then he was gone, and I was like, NO! Wait a minute! But I meant to... So after learning how to play "Hallelujah" on my guitar (and I never play my guitar) and singing it over and over until my husband begged me to stop, and reading the book, "I'm Your Man", I am ready to get some of his music and poetry. But I didn't know where to begin. Should I start with his earliest stuff? His best hits? So I found this forum and joined, because I was hoping you could tell me.

Return to “Comments & Questions”