Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Irabit

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by Irabit »

By the way, Lizzie, I like quote in your signature and share it with my friends. A lot of them seemed agree with the statement. So just want to say Thank you:)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I sensed that Dublin would be coming up too fast for you. That's how it was for me, when I first joined and there was going to be an Event on Hydra in just a couple months, so the one in New York City was my first. Now, I wish I'd somehow made that Hydra Event happen, but too late for that ;-) . Yes, I really resonated with that quote, too... a unique way of making the point. :D
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
LadyMystica

Post by LadyMystica »

Hi. I've been a fan of Mr. Cohen for about a year now (how is it I'd missed him all these years? *sigh for lost time*) I love his music. I guess I just wanted to drop in and say hi! :-)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hey, LadyMystica! HI... and great name :D . Hope to see you enjoying and contributing on other parts of the Forum.
How did you discover Leonard and his work?
Welcome 8)
~ Oscar Wilde
dianejane123

Post by dianejane123 »

Hi, I am new. I am shocked I am here. I'm so pleased I am. I am determined to see him at some point, but I travel the world, and I am in countries like China, Russia, the Philippines, Sudan, all those places he is not likely to be. Now I'm here, I can try and find out if he is close and make a special trip. I was 14 when I first heard LC. I lived in a pretty grim place, and I was always sure there was somewhere better. I heard Suzanne, and that was it for me. I knew there was some place better because this guy, through the song elicited something in me. It took a very long time, and a lot of hard work, but I arrived, and LC kept me going for a long, long time. He reminds me of Keats, and I had the opportunity to use Suzanne in a descriptive writing class, the students loved it, although they thought it was much deeper than it was. I also got to back to being 14, and seeing how far I had come. I owe him quite a lot.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi dianejane123,

Welcome to the forum. Great first post. Thank you. (Wouldn't discount the degree of depth that the students perceived
in "Suzanne." Depth perception is a subjective and sometimes changing experience.) It's maybe the greatest gift of
art when art reminds people or let's them know or helps them find or gives them hope of "some place better."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Beautiful first post, dianejane123! Welcome to the Forum from me, too :D .
Interesting all the places your job takes you. Yes, if/when Leonard tours again, you should be able to nail down at least one venue. I so hope you do!!!
Your personal story of discovery and the sustaining of hope that Leonard brought you is touching. How deeply his voice went, even though years later I heard how technically it wasn't "deep," yet was amazing in how much it conveyed. And, yes, I'm sure that between whatever you wrote and what the other students 'heard' in Leonard's lyrics, the depth that is truly there found its way to their sensibilities... and you got the credit for relating it.
I'm so glad you found us. It would be wonderful if you could manage to get to Dublin this August, to at least meet some of us... even though Leonard won't be there.

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
shir7

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by shir7 »

hi friends
i want to send leonard a letter
where to send ?
thank you :razz:
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Hi Shir7 , welcome on the forum.

You find all the information you need here:

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/newsflash.html

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Donata

Post by Donata »

Leonard Cohen slipped into my life in 1975 when I was at university studying English Literature.There was a young American guest professor who introduced Leonard Cohen to us as a representative of post modern literature. After having analysed LC's books he played his music to us (the record just called "Leonard Cohen"). I and many of my fellow students were mesmerized by the lyrics and the voice. Since then Leonard Cohen was "my man"!

In 1996 I fell fatally ill and was at the intensive care unit of a clinic with not much hope to survive. I asked for my "walkman" with my LC songs and was granted it. Leonard's songs comforted me, I thought like Kurt Cobain: "Give me a LC Afterworld so I can sigh eternally" (from Nirvana song "Penny Royal Tea").
As you can see I surprisingly survived, and I believe that LC's music saved me.

Since then I have analysed LC's books and songs with my students, too, and recruited quite a number of young Cohen fans.That has been my "Thank You" to Leonard, who is for me "the greatest living poet on earth" as Rufus Wainwright said.

Good reasons enough to join this forum! Thank you for having me.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a testimony, Donata!
And what a legacy his words created in you!
Thanks so much for sharing all of this with us 8)
Welcome to the Forum :D !!!
~ Oscar Wilde
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi Donata,

Ditto to Lizzy's comments.
LenMaster

Post by LenMaster »

Hi all,

I am impressed with all the stories of how people heard of LC and how he influenced their lives. Thank you for sharing.
My number of posts hasn't reached 10 yet, so i am relatively new here.
The first acknowledgement of Leonard Cohen was in a record store in 1988. I Am Your Man was just released and on the shelves. I got a copy in my hands and was immediately taken with it: a stylish, middle aged guy eating a banana on the cover was just it! I was curious to who would dare to do this and bought a copy and fell in love with the golden voice and the melodies on the spot. The deal was sealed with The Future and the subsequent tour. The concert i saw in 1993/1994 ranks with the best concerts i ever witnessed, almost like a religious experience.
One of the things i like with the music of Leonard is the sharebility of the experience. My mother, one of my sisters and her son have picked up on it and we went to concerts in 2008 and 2009 together, making for wonderful and lasting memories.
I do not pretend to be a source of information and knowledge, despite my nickname, nor am i an accomplished Budhist. I try and learn and just wanted to say hello and introduce myself for a bit.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi LenMaster ~ Welcome :D ~ Fortunately, being an accomplished Buddhist or a font of knowledge and information on Leonard aren't prerequisites here. Thanks for introducing yourself. You've been privy to Leonard's world for a good while. Interesting how that album cover is such a draw of curiousity as to who that man could be :) . Happy to see that you were able to see Leonard in person, too. I remember the days here on the Forum when we had to lament to newcomers that this would be very unlikely. So happy to have been proved wrong by Leonard himself.

And what a huge blessing that your mother, sister, and nephew have enjoyed him with you! Such a blessed memory for all of you.

Again, welcome 8) .

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

Hi- I'm still fairly new, though I've been posting away on other forums. I'm 46 and from Edinburgh, and have really only discovered LC in the last few months (I had discovered him via kd lang a little earlier, but hadn't gotten around to listening to him sing his own work). So I envy the rest of you having been on the tours and heard him live. But I am now completely smitten and have been devouring as many of the songs as possible (not yet the poetry or the novels- I reckon that is when you get to consider yourself a real LC fan). I seem to be unusual on here in preferring the later LC (Ten New Songs and afterwards, except I haven't found Dear Heather in any record shops yet), but I have lots of favourite songs from the earlier albums as well.

:D

Return to “Comments & Questions”