Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Jonnie Falafel

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by Jonnie Falafel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Lizzy ~ Thanks for the kind comments. I wish I had noble motives for letting my sister do the talking.... but I found there was nothing in my head that I didn't censor and dismiss before saying it. My sister on the other hand told him she had listened since she was 9! He was so kind to us. We did also once meet Bob Dylan together. And I did speak to him, but he didn't say much back. She gabbled at Dylan and he just looked puzzled and said nothing.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Oh, those are hilarious... both accounts, Jonnie.
I'm sure that Leonard loved hearing "since 9," too 8)
I know all about that self-censoring in his presence.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sarsina

Post by sarsina » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 am

Hello everybody, till now I have been shy because English is (definitily not) my mothertongue :oops: However I registered a few days ago, so here are my greetings from Belgium !
I am 34, mother of 3, and in love with Leonard's voice since I was 19 :) My first concert ever (yes, after 34 years !) had to be one of Leonard Cohen, and that ...miracle... happened in Brussels in June. Although my seat was far from the stage, it was a wonderful evening. I couldn't help but buy a ticket for Amsterdam in September !

More about those early and happy days, when I discovered Leonard... I didn't have records of my own, so I went to a friend who had the I'm your man album. At that time we were sure we would marry the first man who would sing to us like that :lol: In the evening, we were often in a very small bar in Brussels, and there we listened to older LC's songs, while waiting the washing machine would stop, in the nearby laundry. Wonder if she will recognize herself if she ever reads my words !

See you soon in Amsterdam
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:39 am

Hey, sarsina... WELCOME :)
That would be a great reunion for you two. I hope she does. She certainly did you a huge favour by sharing Leonard's songs with you.
So happy you've been able to see him perform live. It was so disheartening to have to tell newcomers here that this would never happen. Leonard fooled us all 8) . Enjoy your concert in Amsterdam. Did you happen to get a closer seat this time?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
sarsina

Post by sarsina » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Thank you Lizzy ! Yes I have been lucky to have that friend when we were so young. I'll try to find her again : cannot be so difficult in such a small country :lol:
Yes for Amsterdam my ticket is for row 4 ! I hope I'll see some of you there but it's all so new, being a fan, traveling for Leonard, discovering I'm not the only one :lol:
I am learning a lot from this forum, I'm so happy I found it. Especially glad to read the Tweet-thread, as I have no twitter account. Thanks to all the moderators.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:20 am

4th ROW is PERFECT, sarsina!
I used to think that it had to be 1st Row; yet, just a tad back and you can actually see more of what's going on, onstage.
Your seat is ideal!
I hope you'll be able to somehow come across your friend sometime; what a reunion that would be... and if only at a Leonard concert 8) !
LOL... and you're nowhere near alone in traveling for Leonard ;)
Yes, this Forum is THE BEST !!!
~ Oscar Wilde
kawa

Post by kawa » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Hello, I I am new on this forum... ;-) :lol: :lol: I am here, since I am a great Leonard`s Fan, and we don't have a forum devoted to this artist in Poland. At the moment I am rummaging about in subjects. I hope you will accept me to your circle. :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 am

No problem there, kawa!
Welcome :D !!!
~ Oscar Wilde
Gypsy Wife

Post by Gypsy Wife » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum but a vintage Leonard Cohen follower.

I first started listening to his music in 1968 and have been an avid follower ever since. My first live concert was in 1974, in Liverpool, where I was fortunate enough to meet Leonard, shake his hand and exchange a kiss! The next occasion was in 2008 in the grounds of the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham, Dublin. On that occasion I was accompanied by my youngest daughter and her three week old daughter. I believe my granddaughter was the youngest ever to attend a Leonard Cohen concert. I have seen him again in Dublin and Liverpool and my last concert was on Sunday 15th September 2013 at the 02 in London.

The magic never stops.
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:22 am

Hey - welcome to the Forum Gipsy Wife - Albeit belatedly. :oops:

Funny feeling that you and I are of a similar vintage. ;-)

My first 'live' exposure to Leonard was the Isle of Wight in 1970.

Met him a few times - the most recent was last year at Kilmainham.

Anyway. Hope you enjoyed the O2 gig.

Dig around in here, and http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/

Feel free to contribute.

I do.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:32 pm

A warm welcome from me, too, Gypsy Wife :D . It's good to have you here :) .
On that occasion I was accompanied by my youngest daughter and her three week old daughter. I believe my granddaughter was the youngest ever to attend a Leonard Cohen concert.
If not her, I'd sure be interested in knowing who took the record. I'd love to be around for the day she declares, "I've been a fan since I was three weeks old." :D

Happy for you that you were able to meet Leonard during those earlier years... and even exchange a kiss. And that you are still able to go see him... for both you and for him.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
deanzy1

Post by deanzy1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Gypsy Wife wrote:Hello, I'm new to this forum but a vintage Leonard Cohen follower.

I first started listening to his music in 1968 and have been an avid follower ever since. My first live concert was in 1974, in Liverpool, where I was fortunate enough to meet Leonard, shake his hand and exchange a kiss! The next occasion was in 2008 in the grounds of the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham, Dublin. On that occasion I was accompanied by my youngest daughter and her three week old daughter. I believe my granddaughter was the youngest ever to attend a Leonard Cohen concert. I have seen him again in Dublin and Liverpool and my last concert was on Sunday 15th September 2013 at the 02 in London.

The magic never stops.
a warm welcome gypsy wife
hereagain

Post by hereagain » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:54 am

Good day,

I found out about mister Cohen by looking up the names of two ladies in my life. Brought me to the songs Suzanne and Alexandra leaving.
And found it funny/strange that the songs could match in our eventual future lives. So now I'm motivated to find out if I'm going to be crazy or not. :)
Cate

Post by Cate » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:29 pm

:)

No idea about your mental status but like your arrival story.
So did you hear the songs first and then life took a similar pattern, or has Cohen been a more recent discovery for you?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:45 am

I'm waiting to see the answer you give Cate, hereagain. Your name suggested that you had been on the Forum before... maybe not.
Your story intrigued me, too... so, welcome to the Forum, until I get to read more.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”