Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
dianech

Falling in Love

Post by dianech » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:54 am

I have just discovered Mr. Cohen.....where was I in the 60's?
Raising babies!Have watched his London concert DVD twice with tears and joy....I am in love....
lizzytysh

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:55 am

Well, welcome to the Forum, dianech.
Happy to know that Leonard's London dvd continues to bring him new followers :D
Raising babies ~ an honourable use of your Sixties time 8) .
And you still discovered Leonard in time to see him perform. Sure hope you will!!!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
shoarma

Post by shoarma » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi everybody!

I am a 30 year old guy who found out about Leonard's music due to his mother (as I am sure is the case with more of you). I've had the privilege to see Leonard's first concert in Ghent in 2012, which was absolutely my highlight of that year. I am a Dutch guy and I am very much hoping that Leonard will come to the Netherlands again in 2013.

However, thanks to my mum I have not only discovered Leonard, but also the 'sublime' Webb Sisters and the 'impeccable' Neil Larsen (not that I don't like the others, they're great musicians as well.

Looking forward to discuss their performances and songs with you!

Robbert
Sail on, sail on
O mighty Ship of State!
To the Shores of Need
Past the Reefs of Greed
Through the Squalls of Hate
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Robbert,

And we are looking to hearing more from you. Welcome to the forum!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
shedmaster

Post by shedmaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:13 am

Good Evening all,

I'd just like to say a belated 'hello' to you all, after signing up recently.

My name is Dave and 'technically'.........I'm a 'Pink Floyd' fan.
(Okay, thats that bit out of the way !)

However, I've recently become obsessed with Leonard Cohens 'I'm Your Man' album, being aware of it since 1988ish(?), but recently looking up Leonard Cohens work on youtube and becoming fascinated with 'Take This Waltz'.

My personal musical interest is in the detail of a song and also the errors and outtakes/adlibs etc, it's just what I'm interested in.
I find I can listen to a song twenty times and always hear something I didnt notice last time, for instance, when I'm listening to 'Everybody Knows', the sitar(?) in the background is brilliant and this stands out for me.

I'm finding the poetic origins of Leonards music a challenge to understand just now, but am here to learn a thing or two and hope to get to grips with this at some point.

Look forward to chatting with you soon,

Kindest Regards,

Dave
Haunted by the memory, of a lost paradise, My youth, or a dream, I can't be precise.....
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 am

Interesting reasons for joining, Dave. I like them. You found a treasure trove for everything you want to know about Leonard when you arrived here. Check out all the sections and peruse the various threads... and then take a journey into the Files [link at top], as well as to Speaking Cohen [link also at top]. There's so much to learn, but don't expect to know all of it, or feel badly that you don't. You likely never will; the same with most of us.

We even have an Other Music section, where you can talk about Pink Floyd.

Have you seen Leonard perform live, yet? It seems you would have mentioned that if you had. Do you have plans to somewhere along the line on this tour?

Welcome, in any case, and hope you'll feel free to join in :D .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
shedmaster

Post by shedmaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi Lizzy,

Many Thanks for the welcome.

I'm in a fortunate position here in that I live very close to 'The O2' in London, and there just happens to be a show in June.

I've not seen Leonard live yet but think I'll be making the effort to catch this one......Leonard has a fantastic way with his audience's.

This is definately the place for info, this will keep me busy for a while !

Kindest Regards,

Dave
Haunted by the memory, of a lost paradise, My youth, or a dream, I can't be precise.....
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:37 pm

By the way, I love your signature 8)
~ Oscar Wilde
shedmaster

Post by shedmaster » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:16 am

lizzytysh wrote:By the way, I love your signature 8)
Brilliant, very pleased it's appreciated Lizzy, although not my work I'm afraid.......a line from a song of course !

Just on a different subject, I noticed 'Florida' on your location, it's a very long time since I was lucky enough to go galavanting there.........Independence Day 2000 in fact, when I was lucky enough to join in the celebrations.

That brought back some memories !

Take care for now,

Kindest Regards,

Dave
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:43 am

Oh, really, Dave... what's the song?
Ha. You were here in 2000 ~ at the turn of the century, when some predicted all computers would crash and electricity would go out?
Where are you from?
~ Oscar Wilde
shedmaster

Post by shedmaster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:24 pm

lizzytysh wrote:Oh, really, Dave... what's the song?
Ha. You were here in 2000 ~ at the turn of the century, when some predicted all computers would crash and electricity would go out?
Where are you from?
Hi Lizzy,

The song is called "Sorrow" by Pink Floyd.......I've changed my signature just a little to better reflect the whole sentence and make it more applicable to me ! LoL....

I'm old enough to remember when computers were just becoming mainstream in peoples houses......when 'they' were telling us how the paper-less office would be the way forward......erm, what happened to that idea then ?

I'm from Kent, which is just on the border of London, or more commonly known as "The garden of England". If you've heard of the shoppers paradise that is known as "Bluewater" ?........right next door.

When we came to Florida......we stayed in "Kissimee".......and the nice lady in customs told me off proper because on the green card I put down Orlando as being in Kissimee........not the other way round. It seemed to be like saying England was in London!

Well, now I know....

How about you.......I know it's a big place are you near that part ?

Kindest Regards,

Dave.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:32 am

LOLOL... well, hey, you can't know everything about a foreign country. I'm actually quite north of there.... and you're right... a big state.

I haven't heard either of those references to either place. See what I mean? How is one to know?

Now, I need to go check your complete sentence. Once you hit Reply, you can no longer see someone's signature.

Thanks for your answers :) .

Ahhhhh... I like it even better now. So true for me, too.
~ Oscar Wilde
TeaOrange

Post by TeaOrange » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi all :D

I'm TeaOrange (tea and oranges was taken :( ), and I've been in love with Leonard and his music for about 8 or 9 years now.

It's nice to meet you all.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi TeaOrange ~ Welcome :D . I like the name you ended up with. Will you be getting at least one of the tickets for Europe that go on sale February 27? You didn't mention having seen Leonard before. If you haven't, I sure hope you will.
~ Oscar Wilde
TeaOrange

Post by TeaOrange » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks Lizzy!

I have seen Leonard twice before and unfortunately don't think I'll catch him this time :(. He just has to keep touring so that I can see him again!

Return to “Comments & Questions”