Interesting...

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
jurica

Post by jurica »

wasn't that f. scott fitzgerald?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

~ Originator unknown to me as I type.

I have no interest in reading it. Not because I turn a blind eye to anything negative towards Leonard. First, are we not already well aware of the truism above.....even with the insertion of the word "man" in place of "woman"? Second, I've already heard of it through other sources, and it was debunked accordingly. Third, what Jarkko says is infinitely true.....even when it comes to some presumably well-meaning, medical "information." Fourth, I agree with what Kush says, that it would tell me far more about her than it possibly could about Leonard.

I can't recall the exact fractions, but they're to the effect of believing half of what you read, and none of what you hear. Guess which half this one falls into :roll: .

I seriously question the writer's not-so-hidden agenda of plastering a personal account, such as this is reported to be, on the Internet. That one should do this :( ~ thud. Is she even, perhaps, hoping for a personal contact from Leonard with a plea to her to remove it? Then, she might have one last verbal "go" with him, for positive or negative purposes.

"Those were the times, and that was New York [Montreal]. We were runnin' for the money and the flesh. That was called 'love' for the workers in song. Prob'ly still is for those of them left." The description of her as "extremely flaky" sounds appropos. I've witnessed claims bearing no resemblance to reality with other, "flaky" folk, as well as delusional ones. "My life with Leonard Cohen" :shock: ? A revealing :? title in itself. However, her "legendary," :roll: Warhol'd "Five Minutes of Fame" is gained with each reading. Tra-la. I'd prefer to look at a can of Campbell's soup.

Perhaps she's hoping Rolling Stone will get hold of her for a photo shoot and feature. Or that the grocery-store, waiting-line tabloids will pick her up. Grocery lines are filled with "exposes" such as hers. Perhaps she birthed a baby by him that emerged from the womb writing his own, Cohenesque lyrics :wink: . She just hasn't revealed that yet. The phrase "garbage in, garbage out" holds more than one meaning when it comes to the computer world. Jarkko's "ignore" is the operative word here.

It will always remain far more important to me that the vast majority of women, with whom Leonard has been involved, are still in friendship with him. [I think the Suzanne (of the song) who is teaching yoga in L.A. is one who hasn't.] That speaks much more to his decency than a singular article, by someone such as this, could ever speak otherwise.

"Diamond"? Now there's some accountability for you. In the mine? In the rough? In the ring? Or in the ring? Please :roll: .

~ Elizabeth
mamalex

Post by mamalex »

jurica; i was referring to eliot ala "tom and viv", but zelda fitzgerald also died in a sanitarium. she died in a fire there 1yr. after f. scott's death
Kush

Post by Kush »

If you are interested in knowing about LC's life (which I am not for the most part) you should check out the article but as mamalex says...take it with a grain of salt. The author does provide an insight into LC's circle and life at the time. And as Paula put it...it's hard to know where reality ends and fantasy begins. But nobody could provide so many details without having known LC and/or his circle quite intimately.
lightning

Post by lightning »

My favorite incident from Anne's story , so far, is where she hands Leonard some of her writing and he cuts out several pages with an Exacto knife (heir to Occam's razor?). Expecting approval and validation, she thus has been humiliated. But how I wish I could take that Exacto knife to her Internet story that contains so much that is tedious and irrelevant. And inexacto as well, as when she calls Persphone the Cretan Snake Goddess and attributes "By the Rivers of Babylon" to Bob Marley. She told us she was a fiction writer, not a journalist, and fiction writers will spin stories, even when using real names. Sometimes they even fool themselves. I'm glad the story is there and wish more people would tell theirs, for better or worse. People interested in occult fiction might also enjoy the tales of that other Don Juan--the Yaqui Sorcerer.
jurica

Post by jurica »

mamalex,

i wasn't aware of that movie. i've entered the title in a search engine, and there it was. i read some reviews, but i doubt i'll see it.
i'm not a great eliot biographer, but i do know that his first wife was no angel (judging from the review she is a 'good' character in the movie). there are no 'good' and 'bad' in real life. if she went insane, it was certanly not due only to her husband. from what i know he had a real tough time with her!
but he was certanly a dificult person. you don't have to know him to know that. most genious are.

lightning,

i haven't read the story, but did she realy:'as when she calls Persphone the Cretan Snake Goddess and attributes "By the Rivers of Babylon" to Bob Marley'??????
was it in some other context? irony perhaps?
i can't belive someone THAT dumb would try and write stories!
mamalex

Post by mamalex »

jurica, tom&viv is a good movie. defending eliot? "tough time" with her or not it is monstrous to turn your back on someone you made promises to when they need you most.
jurica

Post by jurica »

it's not that i don't want to see the movie because it offends eliot. he is dead, who cares. i also belive it's a good movie, but i don't like this new trend... biographies of writers.
writers have left their work. i don't wan't to distort my view of them trough movies.

i actualy don't like most historical movies, also.
Braveheart and Gladiator were very popular and well accepted, but they left me so mad i could have killed their authors if they were near. they are SO historicaly wrong, so stupid, so naive...! grrrr! makes me mad even to think about them, not to mention time (and long they were) and money i've invested in them and i'll never get back!

so, as i said, i don't know if it was realy like that (the way it happened in the movie), it could easily have been. but i simply don't care. she's dead also. i didn't even know her name until now. she was nobody. i knew he was married twice, but that's all... what i do know is Prufrock and other observations, The waste land, Hollow men... that's what's important to me. not his personal life. he could have been a mass murderer for all i care.
Kush

Post by Kush »

Jurica....I know what you are saying....i think Hollywood frequently stretches the truth for feel-good effect. Hurricane, Beautiful Mind immediately come to mind. Both are great movies but there is a lot of bending and stretching of truth especially the former.
On the other hand I disagree w.r.t Gladiator.....it obviously has historical references but it is not s'posed to be a necessarily accurate historical movie. It is a great yarn within a historical setting. I thought it was not only very enjoyable but also there were some great touches throughout the movie. And Crowe is as always in excellent form. Check out his Take This Waltz too.....he almost sounds like LC.
jurica

Post by jurica »

yeah, i agree that Crowe was a good choice for an actor. not your typical action hero, right? i loved him in Romper Stomper... early Australian movie. seen it?

BUT, i still don't like Gladiator. especialy the end. what i did like were action scenes. the changing from slow and hypnotical dreams of paradise and bloody scenes of war. very nice. ridley scott, after all is not just any director. however... it's not enough to compensate for unrealistic scenes of gladiator entering the colloseum and admiring: 'how can men create this sort of thing?' (it made me mad, because i'm a martial artist myself, and every time i walk on tatami i know nothing of what happens around me - i'm that concentrated, scared and confused - and my life is not in danger there!). and what about the end? i was waiting for some sort of grim irony at the end. we all know what happened after bureaucrats took over Rome. and in this movie we see his fall as some sort of sacrifise for greater good! i don't remember the movie all that good, so i can't remember all the things that made me regret watching it, but i know i didn't like it one bit.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

[quote="lizzytysh"]"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

William Congreve. 1670 - 1729.
'The Mourning Bride'

:wink:

I can read music now. I know a couple of other words as well. :)

'Clitoris' The Greek God of Hide and Seek? :oops:

Just a couple of little gems from one of my favourite radio programmes. :roll:

Tell me if I'm wrong. But I heard that GWB said that "The French don't have a word for entrepreneur." :?
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Kush

Post by Kush »

I havent seen Romper Stomper...I'll see if blockbuster has it.
Crowe is unusual in that he is a very talented actor as well as recently now a screen idol/action hero. But if he lets himself be typecast as hollywood is wont to, once they find a successful formula, he will not do justice to his talents.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, Byron, for the origin of that phrase. Re: "entrepreneur," it most likely is true, and belongs on that calendar of "Bushisms."
mickjaggerscat

Re:

Post by mickjaggerscat »

Perhaps some of you have never been to Crete?
http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/moc/moc13.htm

jurica wrote:mamalex,

lightning,

i haven't read the story, but did she realy:'as when she calls Persphone the Cretan Snake Goddess and attributes "By the Rivers of Babylon" to Bob Marley'??????
was it in some other context? irony perhaps?
i can't belive someone THAT dumb would try and write stories!

Return to “Comments & Questions”