Future Releases & Outtakes

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
woody

Future Releases & Outtakes

Post by woody » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi general question on the subject of any prospective future releases featuring outtakes / alternative takes forgotten gems etc.
The likes of Bob Dylan and Neil Young have vast number of outtakes forgotten songs and albums which has led to wealth of official and unofficial releases that compliment the albums.

Do we know what the general position is for Leonard on this?

I know he wrote slower and perfected his lyrics but you might imagine that from a life of song there would be a trove of alternate takes, sound check performances, forgotten songs etc.
Perhaps Leonard's preference as a perfection is to not have this sort of thing released but for fans this would be marvellous.
B4real

Re: Future Releases & Outtakes

Post by B4real » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:33 am

woody,
I don't know if you've seen this, but just in case you haven't it may have some bearing on your question - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... =3&t=39112

Here's part of one of my posts from the above thread link - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 15#p376142
And here's an observation for the future as another Christmas present to us in almost exactly 3 years time
Interestingly, the 1967 studio takes and the 1970-1971 studio takes, poetry, etc were both first available on almost the same day, respectively on 18 Dec 2017 and 19 Dec 2020 for a few days.

So, maybe in 3 years time we could be privileged to have a chance to hear some similar albums from 1972.
And who knows, it may continue to happen in that manner to hopefully hear up to the 1979 tracks and beyond

Prediction or coincidence - either way it's something to keep in mind but be observant all the time!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Comments & Questions”