Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
deda

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by deda » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:25 pm

I read somewhere that picnic baskets are not allowed, but not sure what you can bring in. Also said wellies a possibility but def sensible shoes cos place is muddy
scarlet

Post by scarlet » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Either wellies or strong shoes, its very slippy in places and there were a few people fell last night :( They wont allow picnic hampers or glass or alcohol in but discrete stuff in your bag would be ok
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Involved in "Major" cleanup here today,
our first Cohen Concert ,
we are now committed for life.
Only thing is what we experienced on both nights will spoil all furture concerts by other artists for us :!: .
as it just will not ever be equaled.
We were at Drumcliff when Leonard along with his granson came to visit Yeats grave,
we photographed the visitors book signed by Leonard and his granson , will post it later,
Not sure if our picture is clear enough so others might get a picture :idea: .
Signing off now ,
Thianks for all your comments and to carlowmike,
it was a privilege for both of us to be involved in this great event.
M & L on a fine day in Lissadell.
Last edited by carlowmike on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
rigray

Post by rigray » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi CarlowMike, I hope you enjoyed the weekend. Great gigs, eh? Did you get to meet Leonard Cohen at any stage?
Dublin May 1976 /Dublin Dec 1979 / Dublin Jun 1983 / Dublin Mar 1985 / Dublin Jun 1988 / Dublin Jun 2008 / Dublin Jul 2009 / Sligo Jul 2010 / Dublin Sept 2012 / Dublin Sept 2013
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:44 pm

carlowmike wrote:Involved in "Major" cleanup here today,
our first Cohen Concert ,
we are now committed for life.
Only thing is what we experienced on both nights will spoil all furture concerts by other artists for us :!: .
as it just will not ever be equaled.
We were at Drumcliff when Leonard along with his granson came to visit Yeats grave,
we photographed the visitors book signed by Leonard and his granson , will post it later,
Not sure if our picture is clear enough so others might get a picture :idea: .
Signing off now ,
Thianks for all your comments and to carlowmike,
it was a privilege for both of us to be involved in this great event.
M & L on a fine day in Lissadell.
Looking forward to that picture! Even though I'd visited Yeats Grave last month when I was down I couldn't resist paying another visit before I came home yesterday knowing Leonard had being there. There was a service in the church so I couldn't go in. If ye want email me the photo and I'll enhance it if needs be :D
rigray wrote:Hi CarlowMike, I hope you enjoyed the weekend. Great gigs, eh? Did you get to meet Leonard Cohen at any stage?
Great meeting you Saturday Mick! Hope you enjoyed the gig as much as I did :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:03 am

I went by there before leaving on Monday but couldn't find his signature. I really hope I'm wrong and that I just couldn't see it and that if someone tore it out that it's to preserve it and it won't be suddenly appearing on Ebay or something. :roll:
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:26 pm

My thanks to Malcolm and Lolita ( M & L in Lissadell ) for all the effort they put into making this thread as helpful as it was to others.
Since June we dealt with 187 email enquiries and also numerous Posts on this Sligo-Help thread.
Thanks to The Holy Angels Day Care Centre in Carlow for making office space available to us.
Thanks also to Sean and Trish Cunningham of Shenanigans ( Thanks for the Banner, Sean :idea: ) and Keith McNair of Discoversligo, and of course "The Coming Together For Sligo" committee,
to Concert promoter, John Reynolds, and Clare Byrne, of POD, to Isobel Cassidy of Lissadell, to Nick Kelly, Irish Independent, for their helpful advice and input and to all of you Leonard Cohen Forum Members who interacted with us on the Forum.

A Special Thanks to Leonard Cohen's manager, Robert Kory, for his advice, also to Tour Manager, Mike Scoble and Road Manager, Joey Carenza, also to Leonard's friend, Dick Straub, for his advice and suggestions and I must not forget my "Little-Bird-On-The Wire" who, hopefully, may soon be twittering something about Ireland 2011. ;-)

Final word of Thanks to Forum member "frelander" who sourced the Canadian Maple tree and completed a 7 hour return trip to Sligo to have it delivered safely, and to his lovely wife, Frances, for penning the article in the Discoversligo magazine ( pity that the printers published two captions but omitted to include the pictures :!: :!: ).

The plans for the Tree-planting went a little awry as the only opportunity for the Band members to take part in the ceremony, as suggested to me earlier by Robert Kory, was for Friday 30th but as most of the fans would not be in Sligo by then we decided to wait until noon on Saturday but the traffic logistics from Mullaghmore to Sligo on the day were not in our favor, up to 30 minutes before the planting on Saturday it appeared that band members might make it but as outlined in a previous post it was not practicable ----
so a Big Thank You from all of us to our Forum Moderator, Maarten, for stepping in to perform the tree-planting ceremony.
Thank you all sincerely and often :D .

Lissadell Concert: words fail me but can't help paraphrasing Shakespeare :

"And gentlemen and ladies abroad now-a-bed
Shall think themselves cheated they were not here,
And hold their Concert-reviews cheap whiles any speaks
That sang with us in Sligo upon Leonard Cohen's day there".

From me to all of you,

"I will speak no more", carlowmike
;-) ;-) .
Last edited by carlowmike on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:01 pm

This Sligo-Help thread is now redundant.
until we hear B.O.T.W. with another"twitter" in early 2011 !.
Last edited by carlowmike on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
imyourwoman

Post by imyourwoman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:46 pm

carlowmike wrote:This Sligo-Help thread is now redundant.
until next year..... ;-)
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Have to say, I'm delighted I've discovered Sligo! Being a Cork girl and Cork having the best of everythign (eh hem, cough) I was amazed at the beautiful beautiful scenery. I'll be headed back again soon.

The only thing I would find even better than a Sligo-Help for newbies thread 2011 would be a Cork-Help for newbies thread!!Now that would be a dream come true.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Kev Bar

DIVINE

Post by Kev Bar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Having not missed a concert since the mid 70s incl the 7 and 9 shows in the Stadium in 88, Lissadell was spectral. It's divine status only martginally marred by the disapperance of the pretty woman in the darkened door and ther beggar on the broken crutch.

But hey that's no way to say goodbye.
Isi

Post by Isi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:16 am

burningviolin wrote:I went by there before leaving on Monday but couldn't find his signature. I really hope I'm wrong and that I just couldn't see it and that if someone tore it out that it's to preserve it and it won't be suddenly appearing on Ebay or something. :roll:
Yes, I have same concerns. I looked on Sunday and couldn't see it. I looked again on Monday and found a 'L Cohen, Montreal' signature but thought it was strange as it didn't include 'sublime' as I had read in the papers. Was speaking to a lady who was obviously a parishioner as she was leaving in some information leaflets, and she said, 'No that isn't it, it is near the top of one of the pages'. But it could not be found. She did not think it had been removed for safekeeping, and my fear too is that some opportunist thief has removed it - the book is simply a spiral bound notebook. It really would be a dispicable act if this was the case. Anyone have any more information??
jeney

Post by jeney » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:35 pm

I was overwhelmed at both Sligo concerts by the sensitive and glorious performance of Leonard and his band.
He gave us all what we came for, a wonderful performance, it was an amazing experience.
I enjoyed meeting so many members on Friday night at the dinner, much to my embarrassment I left Shenanigans without paying for the meal, I was back at the Conference Centre before I realised, but a phone call to Mick sorted that out.
Thanks Mick and thank you for the 1960s CD of Leonard with Julie Felix I will treasure that, ( did not stop playing it in my car since ). Unfortunately plans for after and pre concert meetings were affected due to traffic congestion and delays.
Everyone I met said they had a great weekend in Sligo.
The headline on this week's Sligo Champion states -
"High Hopes that Lissadell shows could become annual events"
Did carlowmike hint that the " Bird on the wire" was twittering again, :?: already :!: jeney
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
Manslady

Post by Manslady » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:50 pm

Isi wrote:
burningviolin wrote:I went by there before leaving on Monday but couldn't find his signature. I really hope I'm wrong and that I just couldn't see it and that if someone tore it out that it's to preserve it and it won't be suddenly appearing on Ebay or something. :roll:
Yes, I have same concerns. I looked on Sunday and couldn't see it. I looked again on Monday and found a 'L Cohen, Montreal' signature but thought it was strange as it didn't include 'sublime' as I had read in the papers. Was speaking to a lady who was obviously a parishioner as she was leaving in some information leaflets, and she said, 'No that isn't it, it is near the top of one of the pages'. But it could not be found. She did not think it had been removed for safekeeping, and my fear too is that some opportunist thief has removed it - the book is simply a spiral bound notebook. It really would be a dispicable act if this was the case. Anyone have any more information??
Something funny (strange) definitely happened to the signature. I went there on Monday also, and saw that fake ' L. Cohen, Montreal' signature - not 'Leonard', no 'sublime'. It bugged me so much that I went back again on Thursday and found the real signature, but the page was sellotaped back into the book!! I hope it survives. I'll post a photo shortly.
Every heart to love will come, but like a refugee

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:33 pm

SO the page HAD being removed! At least it is back! I want to see it when we return for the next Leonard concert in Lissadell.... Ok I'm dreaming now ;-)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"

Return to “The World Tour 2010”