Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Purple Princess

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by Purple Princess »

Carlowmike,,I was being serious about supporting the idea of boat trips going to Lissadel! And it could be a suggestion to be taken to the meeting next week and as already suggested, it would be a very enterprising idea for anyone owning boats that would be appropriate for this purpose.

( ;-) I promise not to mention the "t" word anymore but do pm when yours arrives!)
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

edited August 2011
Last edited by carlowmike on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
Purple Princess

Post by Purple Princess »

Thanks Carlowmike - knowing how enterprising you irish men are, am sure there could be some more ideas coming - hot air balloons, horse and carts? (and I am being serious!) ;-)
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

updated.
Last edited by carlowmike on Sat May 22, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

I agree with the suggestion of multiple car parks within walking distance of the concert.
I went to Weybridge last year. I was one of the first to arrive - but it took over 2 hrs to get out of the car park as there was only one exit.
After 90 mins of gridlock the organisers opened up another exit to get things moving.

So multiple smaller car parks within walking distance for those who will be driving there will mean not everyone is trying to get out of the same exit at once.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Another suggestion/ comment based on the Wetbridge experience last year. Please do make sure that the arrangements take account of "foot" traffic. Not everyone will be driving or using the shuttle buses (or boats). Some people will be on foot. Maybe not walking all the way back to Sligo (some might) but walking to nearby B&Bs, houses or whatever. My son and I got a lift to Weybridge last year, being dropped off on the way to the venue but on a different route to the car parks. When we left after the show, we found that foot traffic was divided in to 2 categories: people going back to the car parks and those making their way towards the shuttle buses. We were neither but we nevertheless found ourselves herded in to the bus queue and it took a lot of arguing and some outright defiance to get the stewards to recognise that we did not want to catch a bus but just wanted to get through the gate!

Wendy
sceachgeal

Post by sceachgeal »

Thanks to Purple Princess the Boat trip is now on the list of suggestions for the Sligo Committee meeting
I am absolutely gutted to see that Purple Princess has been attributed as the provider of the boat trip idea. She stole it from me, your honour. I demand due recognition, if not a Committee of Enquiry and Due Diligence will have to be set up, not to mention a Court of Arbitration.

For anyone who has minor [or major] map fetishes the one that covers the area best is the Ordnance Survey Discovery Series No. 16 [Scale 1:50,000], this covers most of Sligo town and then northwards. Its companion, No. 25 covers the southern approaches to Sligo.

As I thought, there is no easy way of walking from Sligo to Lissadell without taking in swathes of the N*15. *N meaning National Primary route, or main roads as we used to call them in the good old days (fadó, fadó).

Dedicated walkers who wanted to spend some of the day en pie could fashion a route but it would have to be much longer if one wanted avoid the N15.

The N15 forks at Drumcliffe, and so about the last third of the route to Lissadell is on a smaller third class road and the final stretch into the estate veers into unclassified road territory.

Drumcliffe, where Yeats was reinterred in 1948, is worth a stop (also for Leonard stalkers it has to be a primary target). WB is supposed to have said to his wife George [don't ask] ‘when the newspapers have forgotten me, dig me up and plant me in Sligo’ as he died in France in the early days of what, to most Europeans was known as the Second World War, but in Ireland is euphemistically known as ‘the Emergency’.
when she came back she was nobody's wife . . .
real-alan

Post by real-alan »

sceachgeal wrote:
Thanks to Purple Princess the Boat trip is now on the list of suggestions for the Sligo Committee meeting
I am absolutely gutted to see that Purple Princess has been attributed as the provider of the boat trip idea. She stole it from me, your honour. I demand due recognition, if not a Committee of Enquiry and Due Diligence will have to be set up, not to mention a Court of Arbitration.
If it comes to that, I have some experience of appearing in court (ahem.. :oops: ) & would be more than willing to represent you... for the usual fee (plus expenses....) ;-)
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

edited August 2011
Last edited by carlowmike on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

THANKS to Sceachgeal for suggesting Boat Travel to Concert Venue, very much thanks , indeed thanks often.

Let it further be recorded that he was supported by Purple Princess in making this Submission.
( the things I have to do to humour yis ;-) ).
Now stay focused till Saturday --- :roll: Please.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

I have to transfer this message ---was posted on incorrect thread ~!
(someone else "blowing me own coals !)
Report this postReply with quoteRe: Leonard to play in Sligo!!
by Mikeaus » Thu May 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Carlowmike, thank you for all the work you are doing for the Sligo Concerts. Janis and I are traveling from Canberra for the Saturday concert and it will be great to meet you and the other members of the forum at the Garavogue pub. Our trip is very short, but as you can imagine, it will be one of the great experiences of our lives.

We would love to shout you a big pint when we meet.

It is people like you who make this a wonderful world.Sydney & Bowral 2009 Australia. Met Leonard in Sydney - no need to work for my smile - I'm still smiling.
jeney

Post by jeney »

It is people like you who make this a wonderful world

Very, very true Mike.

I have another suggestion for you to present to the "Together For Sligo" people on Tuesday .

Would they consider hanging up a large banner welcoming Leonard (and his fans ?) to Sligo :?: .
jeney.
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
Frelander

Post by Frelander »

Hi CarlowMike

Just had an idea for the "Together for Sligo" people.

How about planting a Maple Tree in honour of a rather imporant Canadian visitor coming to town!! :?:

Not as exiting perhaps as boat trips or balloon rides but worth a shot!!

You're playing a blinder! :D
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

updated.
Last edited by carlowmike on Sat May 22, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeney

Post by jeney »

Another suggestion ! (last one).
They could also erect another Banner welcoming our
"carlowmike" to Sligo :D
Jeney
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”