Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by carlowmike »

Welcome,
I hope this thread will be of value to members who are travelling to Sligo.

If any member requires information on Sligo / Lissadell Leonard Cohen Concert please ask,

myself, Frances and some others will do our best to assist you in the coming weeks, :) carlowmike.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
Frelander

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by Frelander »

Good Morning Mike

With you all the way on this new thread and once again available to assist fellow Cohenites on the road to Sligo. :D
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

In the coming weeks we will have answers to most of your questions. I intend to drive to Sligo within the next two weeks, meeting with representive from Concert Promoters, POD, seeking information on parking , buses, map of Venue etc. etc.

Sligo General Hospital # 071 917 1111.
Emergency Services: Dail 999 or 112.
here is a further link to Sligo General Hospital.
HSE.ie - Health Service Executive Website - Sligo General HospitalSligo General Hospital is a modern progressive 323 bed hospital situated in a coastal location in the North West of Ireland. The Hospital employs over 1200 ...
http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/find_a_s ... .../sligo/ - Cached - Similar
Last edited by carlowmike on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

This piece from April 30th Post by "our" Frances is certainly worth reproducing on this new thread - :)
Both of us live several hours from Sligo but we intend to uncover every piece of information requested by the members of The Leonard Cohen Forum regarding Sligo Concert.
Hi folks

Just back from a quick 24 hour visit to Sligo and it is looking good! Benbulben, one of Sligo’s most famous landmarks stood proudly in the background welcoming us as we approached the town on a sunny Tuesday morning. For a couple of hours in the afternoon a light mist descended on the mountain clouding the view a little but cleared away later. Speaking of weather, whilst we are all dreaming of balmy summer evenings for Leonard’s concerts do bear in mind that the venue is just a stones throw from Sligo Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Poetic as this may sound when evening descends on Lissadell do expect a cool Atlantic breeze to follow and take an extra layer of clothing with you. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!!!

Whilst chatting to a few of the good denizens of the area I detected a huge air of anticipation, excitement and perhaps most of all pride that Leonard has chosen Lissadell as his venue in Ireland. Already proud of the W B Yeats connection with Sligo (Yeats drew a lot of inspiration from and claimed no place influenced him more than Sligo and he chose Drumcliff at the foot of Benbulben as his final resting place), the fact that Leonard as a true Yeats follower chose Lissadell has them bursting at the seams with pride.

If you are visiting Yeats grave at any stage I suggest you drop in for a coffee at the Drumcliff Tea House & Craftshop (right beside the grave). It is run by a lovely lady by the name of Jill and she has one or two anecdotes of her own relating to WB!

We had our evening meal in Hargadons. This is a typical old style Irish pub serving a great pint of Guinness and good food at reasonable prices. Staff are very friendly too. By the way there would appear to be no shortage of good eateries in Sligo. Hope to visit more of them when we return at the end of the month and will post reviews.

Keith McNair is busy putting final touches to shuttle bus arrangements etc. Whilst there will be parking at the venue, they are encouraging people to use the shuttle bus service as Lissadell is located in a rural area and the less traffic congesting the country roads the better.

I will be keeping in touch with Keith and will pass any useful information he gives me on to you.... Frances

‘There are no strangers here; only friends you haven’t yet met’
William Butler Yeats
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

I should point out that as well as being based a few hours drive from Sligo, Frances lives a few hours drive from me ! :(

Frances and Frank (Frelander) in the North East of Ireland and me in the South East but we will work together.
Last edited by carlowmike on Fri May 28, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

News Report -- just to give you idea of Sligo view -- no need for comments,
(Source http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/04/26/call- ... cohen-gig/ )

There has been a call on businesses in Sligo to capitalise on the upcoming Leonard Cohen concert in Lissadell House.

The Save Our Shops action group set up to help businesses emerge from the current economic crisis, has welcomed the news that an extra date has been added for the Canadian songwriter.

The two concerts to be held on July 31st and August 1st will attract 20,000 revellers to Sligo for Leonard Cohens only Irish appearance.

Hugh Mc Conville from the Sligo action group said it is a great opportunity to showcase the county and all it has to offer.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

Olwen » Sat May 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Carlow mike
Thanks for all the hard work. I will be staying in Yeats country hotel, Rosses Point - do u know how far this is from Lissadell? And also will there be a bus running from the hotel to lissadell and back. Not familiar with the area at all. Any help would be great, thanks.
approx half an hour driving time ..
I believe Buses are running to Concert from all hotels near Sligo town....

Rosses Point is about 7 km from Sligo town...
Last edited by carlowmike on Fri May 28, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

tours around the Sligo area
Sent: Sat May 15, 2010 10:19 pm
To: carlowmike

I have never been to Ireland before and do not want to drive. I plan to take a train to Sligo but would love to book a 2-3 day tour of sights around Sligo. I could not find info on any organized tours. From what I read it is a beautiful part of the country. Do you know of any tours being planned. Thanks in advance - Cari in Portland, Oregon
Yes, caripdx , tours may be arranged through Keith at info@discoversligo.com

As it gets nearer to the time contact me again , we can arrange to meet up.
Last edited by carlowmike on Fri May 28, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

many members are enquiring about tours ,
best to email me for further details.
Last edited by carlowmike on Sun May 30, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd »

carlowmike wrote:
tours around the Sligo area
Sent: Sat May 15, 2010 10:19 pm
To: carlowmike

IRemember The Library Bar in the Garavouge is reserved for Forum "old-timers" and first-time visitors to Ireland ,
carlowmike.
So, does that mean that as I am not a Forum "old-timer" or first time visitor to Ireland, I will not be allowed in the The Library Bar? How will these people be identified at the door?

Much as I appreciate help and information, I'm beginning to feel that things are becoming very 'organised' and 'controlled.'
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

carlowmike wrote:many members are enquiring about tours ,
may be worthwhile repeating this info.
Carriage Tours :
Coachman driven tours of Yeats country. State of the art hand-crafted wagonette, drawn by a pair of traditional Irish cobs. Carriage seats up to 8 adults.
- 1 hour Drumfad drive.
- 2 hour pub stop drive.
- Themed drives.
Email : islandviewridingstables@gmail.com
http://www.islandviewridingstables.com

Deep Sea Fishing : http://www.spiritadventure.net.
Sailing Club : kilmartinbarry@hotmail.com
Surfing: http://www.clarionhotelsligo.com
Hillwalking: http://www.discoversligo.com
Sore Feet : http://www.walkingclinic.ie
Mining : http://www.arignaminingexperience.ie
Heritage / Genealogy: http://www.sligoroots.com
Whilst I know that a lot of people are excited about the Sligo concerts and planning a holiday around them, last time I looked this was a Leonard Cohen forum, not an Ireland or Sligo tourism site. All this information is readily available courtesy of tourism organisations and Google. Please can we strike a balance and keep the details down to information related to the the LC concerts and cut back on tours available, emergency dentists and doctors etc. People may have asked by e-mail for the information but that does not mean to say that the answers all have to be posted on a Leonard Cohen forum.

Wendy
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

Thank you Wendy ,
If I think the question is one that the answer may be of benefit to others attending Sligo ,
I request permission to publish the question and reply on the "Sligo-Help" thread.....

All well intentioned and a pleasure to help if we can ,
BTW. if the Concerts were in Dublin there would be no need for a help thread , as all facilities are so well documented, but because the Concerts are in Sligo many of us Irish and non-Irish (including me) were at a loss for information.
Last edited by carlowmike on Sun May 30, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

carlowmike wrote: as I said I would love to go to some of the European Concerts but
I do not have enough data on hotels, transport, venue etc.

if the Concerts were in Dublin there would be no need for a help thread , as all facilities are so well documented
carlowmike.
Isn't that just a little bit contradictory? I can personally vouch for the fact that you can find plenty of information on hotels, transport and venues etc for the European concerts with a bit of googling.

But, back to Sligo. Yes, the info is more difficult to come by and I don't doubt for a minute that people are asking for it but that does not mean that it all has to be published on a Leonard Cohen forum. Accommodation, parking, transport, meet ups etc - fine. But deep sea fishing, mining, genealogy???

Wendy
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

irrelevant
Last edited by carlowmike on Sat May 22, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rolen

Post by rolen »

If I can chip in here with my thanks to Mike for all his help to me and Anita.
My wife, a member of this forum, is at present confined to a wheelchair, unable to use a computer at present, both of us hope to attend the Sligo Concert.
But we had no information to help us. Through this Forum we received help and more , what we
used to call common courtesy was available. Mike helped us find out about Wheelchair access
and accommodation, he has offered to arrange our transport from train to hotel and to Garavouge
and concert. We now have information on Caredoc . hospital services etc in Sligo area .We could never have undertook this journey without help from this list. Thank you all again. Ronnie.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”