Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jeney

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by jeney »

According to an English translation (From Google Translator, so a little rough) of an article in La Presse (Montreal), dated December 14, 2010, Leonard will tour again, but not until 2012.

"The next tour will probably be in 2012. After the launch of a new album of original songs, his first in seven years, scheduled for fall 2011. Robert Kory tells me that 10 new songs are already written. Cohen has played the piano in his band who have repeated, but the recordings to date are essentially models that will work in the studio. The excellent touring band of Cohen - " the softest Rock'n'Roll band in the world," said the singer - will attend for sure, but it is also about the artist that recorded some songs with Jeff Fisher in Montreal, musician and arranger who had worked on the album I'm Your Man."
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

Sligo County Council also launches appeal in Lissadell case. :!: ....
The legal saga over rights of way at Lissadell House, which has already run up an astonishing legal bill of nearly €6m, is now heading to the Supreme Court, with both sides in the case launching appeals.

Both Lisadell's owners, barristers Constance Cassidy and Edward Walsh, and Sligo County Council will appeal the High Court judgement delivered last December by Mr Justice Bryan McMahon after a 58-day hearing.
However, it will be late this year at the earliest before the case will be heard in the highest court in the land. That's according to a report in yesterday's Sunday Independent

After the High Court ruling affirmed the existence of public rights of way over the 410-acre estate, which was the ancestral home of Countess Markievicz, the local authority welcomed the judgement, saying in a statement: "Sligo County Council is pleased with the decision of the High Court. It is in the interests of all concerned that the issue of public rights of way at Lissadell has been determined." But a spokesman for the county council has confirmed that they are now appealing the case.

"The decision of the High Court in relation to the rights of way at Lissadell has been appealed by the Walsh-Cassidys. The appeal will be fully contested by Sligo County Council, and the council will be seeking to have the judge's decision varied where he restricted access to daylight hours only," a spokesman told the Sunday Independent.

It is understood that the council will be seeking to overturn the "daylight hours" restriction to allow 24-hour-a-day access for members of the public. Another part of their appeal may focus on restrictions on access for vehicles into the estate contained in Mr Justice McMahon's judgement.
More than 50 witnesses, including historians, cartographers and archivists, local residents and council officials gave evidence during the original high court action.

While both sides await the Supreme Court appeal, the house, gardens and estate, which had become one of the north-west's premier tourist attraction, will remain closed.

The owners of the estate have already decided that they will not hold any concerts this year.
Last summer, while the case was still before the High Court, Leonard Cohen played at Lissadell and there were plans to have more concerts this year held over consecutive week-ends in high summer.
But talks to bring big-time acts including Elton John, Andrea Bocelli, Tom Waits and Bob Dylan have now been halted.

Most of the staff who were working at the estate have now been laid off, with just essential workers remaining.
One particular issue is that the High Court judgement ruled, according to a map that accompanied the judgement, that the public rights of way extend to the porte-cochre or grand porch in front of the house on the main avenue through the estate.

Ms Cassidy and Mr Walsh purchased the property for €4m in 2003 and spent a further €9.5m restoring the house and gardens.
As it stands, depending on the outcome of the Supreme Court appeal, they owe nearly €6m in legal bills and costs associated with last year's case which was one of the lengthiest heard in the High Court.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thanks for keeping us updated Mick! Andrea Bocelli in Lissadell would have been very nice, ah well.....
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

Just received this notice in my inbox from Sony Music,
putting it up here for those of you who may not have seen this ;-) :

NEeMA LAUNCHES EUROPEAN TOUR
Album produced with Leonard Cohen and Pierre Marchand Includes Headline Dates and Support for Jeff Beck, Joe Cocker, Cyndi Lauper and Elton John
Fresh from the recent U.S. release of her second album Watching You Think, Montreal based singer/songwriter NEeMA has announced a European tour, beginning June 10th at Schlossplatz in Stuttgart, Germany.
In addition to her series of headlining club dates at intimate venues across the UK, Ireland, Germany, France, Sweden and more, NEeMA has also received backing from Jeff Beck, Joe Cocker, Cyndi Lauper and Elton John to support them at select tour dates across the continent.
A protégé of Leonard Cohen, who co-produced the album with Pierre Marchand (Rufus Wainwright, Ron Sexsmith), NEeMA follows in the tradition of singer/songwriters from Joni Mitchell to Judee Sill and Laura Nyro. She is a much-travelled troubadour, with a poetic soul and charisma that has seen rave reviews in her native Canada and feted by the likes of The Wall Street Journal, Huffington Post, and Paste Magazine in the US.
Tickets for select tour dates will go on sale to the public from Friday May 6th for the UK dates and can be purchased through http://www.aeglive.co.uk. Fans should visit http://www.neema.ca/ for updated tour and on-sale information.
Tour Dates are supplied in the NEWS section:
About Watching You Think:
Leonard Cohen is more than just a co-producer of Watching You Think; he is a musical mentor and fan of NEeMA's. Of NEeMA's work, he has said, "in the midst of all the static, a voice of true feeling arises - a rare event!" The legendary musician/poet/artist also drew the haunting portrait of NEeMA, which serves as the album's cover.
Like Cohen, NEeMA surrounds herself with only the best musicians and the songs on Watching You Think are expertly fleshed out by some of Montreal's finest: Howard Bilerman and Tim Kingsbury of alternative hitmakers Arcade Fire; Tom Mennier, who has performed with Martha and Rufus Wainwright; Gurpreet Chana, who recorded with Nelly Furtado; Joe Grass and Miles Perkin, who accompanied award-winning singer Lhasa de Sela; and Haig V, who co-produced Bran Van 3000's album Glee.
The album features 13 folk-pop gems including the lead single "Escape", a poignant re-imagining of the Dire Straits classic "Romeo and Juliet" and a new version of her deeply moving musical prayer, "Masi 2010".
To learn more about NEeMA visit:
http://www.neema.ca/
http://www.youtube.com/neemaste
http://www.facebook.com/nadineneema
http://www.myspace.com/neemaste
http://blog.neema.ca/
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

First paragraph of article by John Waters published in "The Irish Mail on Sunday" on May 29th.
Come on: if Bob Dylan can make it to 70, then growing old leaves us nothing to fear.
As I write, I'm listening to dylanradio.com, an internet station broadcasting, if that's the word, from Canada and playing nothing but Bob Dylan 24/7.Right now, it's 5.30am and I'm listening to Dylan duetting with Van Morrison on It's All Over Now, Baby Blue.
I've had my internet radio for more than a year and it's still the best present I ever bought myself. I can pick 25,000 radio stations from all over the world, but my favourite is Dylan Radio. Most of the time, the first thing I do when I walk in the door is switch on and listen to whatever Bob has a mind to tell me.
You could say that Dylan is one of my best mates, an unrequited friendship that's been going on for several decades now. Last Tuesday Bob was 70, and I'd like today to wish my friend a happy birthday and thank him for all the songs and thoughts and magic down the years.
There is something about Dylan being 70 that changes everything. When I was a boy, 70 year old men seemed as though they'd been here since the beginning of time. They wore soft caps or soft hats, smoked pipes and sat on windowsills. It is strange to think of their ranks being joined by someone so indelibly associated with "youth culture". Knowing the Bob is 70, like knowing that Leonard Cohen is 76 and Willie Nelson 78, makes growing older seem like something to look forward to. It's nice to think that some rock-n-rollers can age gracefully without losing their edge.
Of course, there are different schools of thought about this. Some people insist that rock-n-roll remains an experience best enjoyed when you're young. This would explain why, as people grow older, they almost invariably reject new music and cling to the tunes they grew up with.
It's hard to argue with the idea that the artists who have been playing the longest made their best music in their early days.
Reluctantly, I'd probably admit that even the best recent music of great artists like Dylan and Cohen would hardly have cut the mustard for them in the beginning, if they'd frontloaded it instead of coming up with songs like, say, Blowin in The Wind or Bird On A Wire. But, you've also got to admit that even most of the weaker later material of these veterans is better than the stuff most other singer-songwriters produce in their prime.
And from yesterday's Irish Independent 3rd June:
Spanish honour Leonard Cohen.
Canada's Leonard Cohen won Spain's top award for authors who do not write in Spanish for his decades of exploring great human issues in song and verse.
The jury of the Principe de Asturias Foundation said the 76-year-old singer-songwriter, poet and novelist was one of the most influential writers of modern times. ;-)
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

From "Straight Bananas" today ;-) .
Who slipped up at Lissadell ?
Lissadell House sits about 10 miles north of Sligo town. It dates from 17th century and is
one of Ireland’s most historic houses. It was the ancestral home of the Anglo-Irish Gore-
Booth family, whose daughter, Constance, later to become Countess Markievicz, was
a noted campaigner for women’s rights and was the first woman elected to the British
Parliament. She was sentenced to death for her part in 1916 Easter Rising.
Her sentence was commuted to imprisonment due to her
gender and she devoted her latter days to the poor of Dublin.
Her father, Henry Gore-Booth was a noted Arctic explorer and helped
established the co-operative movement to benefit small Irish farms. Lissadell also was
renowned for the production of a 180 variety of potato and 258 variety of daffodil.
After World War I, Lissadell’s fortunes, like many Big Houses, declined rapidly. World
War II left 2 of 3 sons killed or incapacitated. Michael Gore-Booth, who inherited Lissadell,
was deemed incapable of managing the property and was made a Ward of Court.
This effectively brought Lissadell under the State’s care. From 1944 to 1952,
Michael’s sister was appointed to manage the estate, but after a series of disputes with
the committee, management of Lissadell transferred to other agents, leaving the Gore-
Booth sisters to finish their days at Lissadell.
From the 1940s onwards, while Lissadell was under State care, it suffered considerable
neglect. Aideen Gore-Booth, particularly, held that the State failed in its responsibility.
In 1996 the current Jocelyn Gore-Booth inherited Lissadell but concluded that, for
him, the restoration of Lissadell was too great an undertaking and offered it first to the
government.
Some locals, under the name Lissadell Action Group [LAG], lobbied the
government to buy Lissadell, but it declined as the estimated cost of restoration was €30
million. Likewise.
Jocelyn then sold Lissadell on the open market for €3 million to Irish
couple, Eddie Walsh and his wife, Constance Cassidy. the Walsh family spent a further
€9 million, without grant aid, transforming Lissadell into an outstanding visitor
centre.
By 2010 visitor numbers had grown tenfold to 40,000. A further 30,000 people attended the
record-breaking, sell-out concerts for world renowned performer Leonard
Cohen. In 2010 Lissadell contributed a staggering €20 million to Sligo’s desperately
struggling economy. Lissadell created 30 jobs for free. Every job created in tourism
supports up to 9 locally, i.e. 270 local jobs
in Lissadell’s case. Sligo’s long held hope of developing a flagship tourist attraction was
becoming a reality thanks to the Walsh family.
“Never before was lissadell
more accessible or enjoyed
by so many people.”
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

The anniversary is coming up soon. Any plans anyone?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

Interview "Finding Neema"
The Irish Times Magazine, Saturday July 2nd 2011.
;-)
Spicy folk is on the menu when Canadian folk singer and Leonard Cohen protege Neema is in town, writes GRAINNE FALLER

SHOWING HER MUSIC to Leonard Cohen was “a little terrifying” for Canadian poet and folk singer Neema, but it has proved worth it. Cohen’s fingerprints are all over her new album, and Neema (her full name is Nadine Neemeh) is often described as his protege. Now touring Europe with her band, she is doing solo shows, as well as supporting acts such as Jeff Beck, Cyndi Lauper and Elton John. She laughs. “It’s really random isn’t it? Kind of like my music. An eclectic mix.”

The current record, Watching You Think, is folk with added spice. There are touches of world music, while Neema’s sweet but slightly gravelly voice prevents the whole thing from becoming too saccharine.

Neema lives in the same Montreal neighbourhood as Cohen and they first ran into each other on the street there. “I don’t remember exactly how we started talking, but I said something like, ‘Hi I’m Neema,’ and he said, ‘Hi, I’m Leonard.’ I think I laughed from shyness and said, ‘I know’.”

As they frequented the same haunts, they would run into each other. They clicked and became friends. “I was just finishing recording my first album, but I left the music aside initially. I think the first thing I did was to give him a copy of that album. Then when we would be chatting, lines would come out and we’d start writing.”

Eventually, encouraged by Cohen, Neema started to show him what she was working on for her next album. “I started to share full pieces with him and get his feedback. It’s tough when you’re doing that with someone you respect so much . . . and it’s difficult to receive if the feedback isn’t wonderful, but it’s so helpful. And then when it is wonderful, I know that it’s genuine, because he’s very honest.”

They discussed everything from the writing of the songs, to recording, production and instrumentation. The advice wasn’t always easy to hear. “I had one song written and Leonard was like, ‘It’s a great melody and idea but I don’t really hear the song. I think you should start over.’ I was like, Oh God. I’m never going to share anything with him any more. I was just shattered.”

She thought better of it later, however. “I had a long bath and I had a night to think about it and I thought, well, why don’t I just try to start over and see what happens? And you know? Something wonderful emerged.”

Neema says she is looking forward to playing here next week. “I love Ireland. I first went there in 1994. I spent about a month, intending to backpack around, but I got as far as Co Kerry – Dingle and Ballyferriter – and I stayed for the month. I fell in love with the place.”

Her music bears the accents of her wanderings. She has travelled and worked in a number of places, including India, Egypt and northern Canada. In seeming contrast to this almost hippy-ish lifestyle, she also holds a first-class honours degree in financial management and economics.

Some of that has to do with her background. Her parents are Egyptian of Lebanese descent, and education was very important to them. “My father was a doctor and I was pushed very much in the sciences and math. I was very good at that,” she says. “I wanted to do photography and my father wouldn’t have it, so I followed in my sister’s and my brother’s footsteps into management. I hated it . . . But as it turns out, I spend so much time managing my career – there’s so much to manage in an artistic life – that side of my brain is definitely useful.”

She’s delighted with the way the album has turned out. “I had the idea that I wanted to make an album that was kind of sparse, that had space and that was a bit raw in feel and was organic really,” she says.

“One thing I learned from Leonard was how to let something emerge . . . working to uncover the song rather than trying to write the song I had in mind. This album is much closer to my voice I think.”

The name of the album is taken from the title of a portrait of Neema done by Cohen, which now adorns the cover. “He’s very present in this album,” she says. “He’s an amazing mentor, and not just for music. He’s definitely a wise old being. He’s lived a lot you know?”
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

by jdhayes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:42 pm

The anniversary is coming up soon. Any plans anyone?
meself and her nibs hope to spend the anniversary weekend in Mullagmore,
the trip will include a visit to "our" tree and Plaque at the Leonard Cohen Corner in Lissadell.
I still believe that many of us will be attending a joyus reunion in April 2012.
;-)
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

W have decided to go walking in Germany. Any word about the CD Mike?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
mutti

Post by mutti »

Hey Mike nice to hear from you on this anniversary time.
Please tell me who or what 'her nibs' is? I have a lot of the Irish banter down pat
but this one is new to me.
Cheers!
Les
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

mutti wrote:Please tell me who or what 'her nibs' is? I have a lot of the Irish banter down pat
but this one is new to me.
Cheers!
Les
Les

It's not just Irish banter - it's a common expression here in the UK as well. His / her "nibs" refers to a partner, with an added hint of deference. Or at least, that's what it means here. A similar expression is "him/ her indoors".

Wendy
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Wendy! I figured as much but wanted to check it out.
Cheers!
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

Dictionary.com on the subject.
his / her nibs, Informal: Often Facetious . a person in authority, especially one who is demanding and tyrannical: His nibs wants fresh strawberries in December.
and this Q and A on Grammerphobia Blog in 2006:

Q: I was reading the other day about the death of the singer Georgia Gibbs. The obituary in the New York Times reminded me that she was referred to as “Her Nibs, Miss Georgia Gibbs.” Where did the term “his nibs” or “her nibs” come from?

A: “His nibs” or “her nibs” is an informal expression used to refer to a “person in authority, especially one who is self-important,” according to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. ;-)
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

Hot Press, 25th July. 2011 ;-) .
The Webb Sisters live in Dublin
The master Leonard Cohen bows before them. So will Dublin, on November 10.
Multi-instrumentalists, songwriters and performers, the gifted Webb sisters have already released three critically acclaimed albums, received the International Music Award for Best Adult Contemporary Song and performed for Queen Elizabeth 11.

Charlie and Hattie Webb were chosen by Leonard Cohen to accompany him on his first tour in 15 years in 2008. They toured around the world until late 2010, giving more than 240 performances, eight of which in Ireland.

Based on harp, guitar, mandolin, piano and expressive vocals, their music sends chills down the spine. Their new album, Savages, was released in May 2011 and has been praised both by critics and the audience.

The multi-talented sisters will perform at the Sugar Club for one night only, on November 10. Tickets are priced €20 and will soon be available from http://www.ticketmaster.ie and all Ticketmaster outlets

Return to “The World Tour 2010”