Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
swan13

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by swan13 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:07 pm

annmarie wrote:
carlowmike wrote:
Manslady wrote : 36 hours away from the internet - can't believe I missed so much while I was gone!
Visitor's Book incident ; Not quite solved / over as yet, Manslady :!:
In the meantime tonight on RTE Radio 1.
John McKenna pays personal tribute to Leonard Cohen in "The Poetry Programme".
Mon.to Fri. last week "Risin' Time" 6.30 am on RTE Radio 1, had a 5 minute talk segment devoted each day to Leonard,
did anyone record or are there links to it ? ;-) .

Has anyone actually verified that it's Leonard's signature???????

:? Anne
I think we all know it is NOT Leonards signature.
"Should've got in the car"
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 pm

annemarie wrote :Has anyone actually verified that it's Leonard's signature???????

swan13 wrote: I think we all know it is NOT Leonards signature.
We need to have this clarified for the Church of Ireland Committee in Drumcliff,
we do not want them to be fooled and frame and have on display something that is a fake :oops: ,
giving some prankster a good laugh.
There is already some doubt as to the signature "Jes Cohen".
Manslady did photograph another "L. Cohen" signature in the Visitor's Book.
Would you put that up again , please :?: .
I will forward both signatures to people who are in a position to clarify this matter.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
annmarie

Post by annmarie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks "swan13", didn't think it was!!!

Anne
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:31 pm

I just had confirmation that it is "definitely not" Leonard's signature.

I have contacted Drumcliffe Church representative and advised him they should not proceed with their plans to preserve and display same as the signature of Leonard Cohen.
I expect to have information later regarding if Leonard did indeed sign anything during his visit to Drumcliffe,
if he did it would appear that the original page was torn out.
They may have CCTV coverage of the incident, I will check that on Wednesday next.
There was already doubt expressed from a member of the Cohen family that "Jes Cohen" was genuine.
My main concern is that the parishioners of Drumcliffe Church are not made fools of. :oops:
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
annmarie

Post by annmarie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:06 pm

carlowmike wrote:I just had confirmation that it is "definitely not" Leonard's signature.

I have contacted Drumcliffe Church representative and advised him they should not proceed with their plans to preserve and display same as the signature of Leonard Cohen.
I expect to have information later regarding if Leonard did indeed sign anything during his visit to Drumcliffe,
They may have CCTV coverage of the incident, I will check that on Wednesday next.
There was already doubt expressed from a member of the Cohen family that "Jes Cohen" was genuine.
My main concern is that the parishioners of Drumcliffe Church are not made fools of. :oops:

Thanks for clarifying that. I wonder if indeed he was in Drumcliffe or signed anything. Just me being cynical!
Whatever
about the parishoners of Drumcliffe.................what about the fans???????????????
If it turns out that the page was torn then that's just despicable.
Think it may be best to hold your hand until you're sure who signed what.
Anne
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:12 pm

annmarie wrote:
carlowmike wrote:
:oops:
If it was you'll probably know soon enough when it turns up on eBay.

Just ME being cynical this time ....

Wendy
Manslady

Post by Manslady » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:14 pm

Having communicated with Carlowmike about this, I am posting a photo of the 'other' fake signature also.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60339214@N00/4891

So glad the hoax has been revealed before well-meaning people took steps to commemorate Leonard's visit to Drumcliffe.
Every heart to love will come, but like a refugee

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:03 am

Mabeanie1 wrote:
annmarie wrote:
carlowmike wrote:
:oops:
If it was you'll probably know soon enough when it turns up on eBay.

Just ME being cynical this time ....

Wendy
It was widely reported in the Irish media that Leonard had visited the grave and signed the book. While we did have doubts I'm disgusted that it does seem to appear that someone stole it. How that person can call themselves a Leonard fan is beyond me and I'm gonna make a point of checking ebay and if it does appear there I'll lodge a complaint with them. :evil:
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:37 am

Just wondering, where was it reported/who said he'd signed the visitors book in Drumcliff to begin with? Was it the Irish Times article of that weekend? Perhaps it was mixed up with signing the visitors book at the Yeats exhibition in Lissadell?
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:19 pm

burningviolin wrote:Just wondering, where was it reported/who said he'd signed the visitors book in Drumcliff to begin with? Was it the Irish Times article of that weekend? Perhaps it was mixed up with signing the visitors book at the Yeats exhibition in Lissadell?
The Irish Times report was where I read it:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 43544.html
In the visitors’ book at Drumcliff church he wrote Leonard Cohen, Montreal, with a simple comment “Sublime”.
I remember thinking 'damn, must have been after we got there!' If someone has either vandalized or forged it though then that's pretty low.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
jeney

Post by jeney » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:48 pm

carlowmike » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:31 pm
I just had confirmation that it is "definitely not" Leonard's signature.
I have contacted Drumcliffe Church representative and advised him they should not proceed with their plans to preserve and display same as the signature of Leonard Cohen
Shame on whoever attempted to con the church and all of us with this fake.
Well done for alerting the church committee to this.
Now the question is where is the original page ?.
carlowmike, many of us want to have a tangible link to the tree and plaque effort. I have sent you a small donation today toward the plaque and the costs associated with it, please accept it , jeney
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:59 pm

somewhat_nifty wrote:
burningviolin wrote:Just wondering, where was it reported/who said he'd signed the visitors book in Drumcliff to begin with? Was it the Irish Times article of that weekend? Perhaps it was mixed up with signing the visitors book at the Yeats exhibition in Lissadell?
The Irish Times report was where I read it:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 43544.html
In the visitors’ book at Drumcliff church he wrote Leonard Cohen, Montreal, with a simple comment “Sublime”.
I remember thinking 'damn, must have been after we got there!' If someone has either vandalized or forged it though then that's pretty low.
We were there on the Friday so it could well have been but our names were still in the book when I went to check it on the Monday. It's a strange one, I mean, were the Irish Times there when he signed it to authenticate it or did they just see the fake signature and assume it was the real deal. Did he actually sign it at all? :shock: and this is all a wild goose chase?
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:11 pm

burningviolin wrote : Did he actually sign it at all? and this is all a wild goose chase?
There is no chase, wild or otherwise for original page.
Very happy that the Church Body did not frame and put the fake on display, that would have played right into the "prankster's" arms .
jeney wrote : Now the question is where is the original page ?.
carlowmike, many of us want to have a tangible link to the tree and plaque effort. I have sent you a small donation today toward the plaque and the costs associated with it, please accept it , jeney
jeney, I will be meeting with a representative of Drumcliffe church on Wednesday.
It is of little concern to me where original page is,
main thing is that we exposed the fake before well intentioned people were made fools of.
I am aware that several Members would like to have a tangible connection to the Tree / Plaque effort.
I have received advice from Jarkko regarding a Contribution List toward the costs,
I will inform Members of this during the week.
Thank you jeney, I will acknowledge your contribution, carlowmike ;-)
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:33 pm

carlowmike wrote:
burningviolin wrote : Did he actually sign it at all? and this is all a wild goose chase?
There is no chase, wild or otherwise for original page.
Very happy that the Church Body did not frame and put the fake on display, that would have played right into the "prankster's" arms .

[/color]
Still doesn't answer my question though, I still wonder did LC actually sign the visitors book at Drumcliff? Seeing as no one is looking for the original in any feral or fowl way... :lol: :roll: But being serious for a moment Mike I wasn't asking if the original page was being looked for mainly my point was that the prankster has created almost more interest in the signature than if the original had been there or left where it was. Yes, I'm happy they haven't put the fake on display too. The tree planting is a nice idea, attention should be on that.
sandraa

Post by sandraa » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

I was at Drumcliffe today and the single signature with no jes cohen underneath is still in the book. My children were pointing out that Bono, Barack O' Bama and even Yeats have signed the book!
Leonard should have just eaten the chocolate cake in the coffee shop and and moved on. It's nice to see some photos of Leonard with the staff of the Pier Hotel up on their information screen.Unfortunately i only read these threads when i returned as i would like the view of the staff in the coffee shop as to whether Leonard visited.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”