Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
oran mor

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by oran mor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi all,
Just got e-mail from discoversligo team, coach from ballina due to unprecedented demand, is now departing from downhill inn not ice house as originally stated. But this may not apply to all travellers, advise check of e-mails, or phone call to discoversligo team.
regards oran.
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Back from Auction at Mealys (Mealys is the place where John Reynolds bought the copy of WB Yeat's "First Edition" book that he presented to Leonard in 2008, hence, they say, the reason Leonard is in Sligo tonight !).
by MaryB » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:24 pm
Hi carlowmike,
One more favor - could you please save a copy of the Sligo Champion for me also? Thank you in advance!
Warmest regards,
Mary
Done MaryB, and I think it was you requested some suitable background music at meet-ups,
I just got hold of a few Maurice Chevalier CDs
:!: ;-).
I have Al Jolson lined up as well :cry: ......................
Well who doesn't like "Mammy" :?: ;-) .
Last edited by carlowmike on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
jammymulligan

Bar extensions in all bars and hotels in Sligo

Post by jammymulligan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 pm

All bars and hotels in Sligo will be serving until 2 30am each night of the weekend. So, enjoy the concert and then go and have a beer. Looking forward to meeting some of you this weekend. If any of you are looking for good cheese, salami and general deli stuff, drop into Cosgroves on Market cross. Its up the street from Shoot the Crows pub. Have a great time, shams
Yon1967

Post by Yon1967 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:52 pm

Oh My God - not long now. I'm so excited reading all your posts. I cannot wait as I thought two weeks ago I couldn't go and even had my tickets up for sale and was gutted. But happy days - I cannot believe I am going to see Leonard Cohen in two days time. Here's to everyone on this site who have made such an effort to make it easy for everyone going. Dunno if I'll have courage to go to the pub to meet eveyone but so looking for ward to it.

ENJOY EVERYONE:) :D :D
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:39 pm

by carlowmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 am
People attending the Concert with not be permitted to bring in Picnic Hampers or alcohol to the Venue.
Bar facilities are available serving beer, wine & champagne.
Catering will include : Pasta, Paella, Falaffels, Gourmet Burgers and Oysters ( it is Leonard Cohen afterall )
As carlowmike stated in early post much the same as Kilmainham fare.
From M & L in beautiful Lissadell.
Just seen the above now,
problem is I can't eat any of the above so... :idea:
may smuggle in a scallion onion, a few tomatoes, garlic and a few slices of buttered brown bread,
that should keep "the pests" away :!: scallionatermike
;-)
plus a couple of small bottles of stout, in 7up container 8).
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:43 pm

carlowmike wrote:
by carlowmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 am
People attending the Concert with not be permitted to bring in Picnic Hampers or alcohol to the Venue.
Bar facilities are available serving beer, wine & champagne.
Catering will include : Pasta, Paella, Falaffels, Gourmet Burgers and Oysters ( it is Leonard Cohen afterall )
As carlowmike stated in early post much the same as Kilmainham fare.
From M & L in beautiful Lissadell.
Just seen the above now,
problem is I can't eat any of the above so... :idea:
may smuggle in a scallion onion, a few tomatoes, garlic and a few slices of buttered brown bread,
that should keep "the pests" away :!: scallionatermike
;-)
plus a couple of small bottles of stout, in 7up container 8).
You just seen the above now????? Mick it was your post so do you not read what you post lol.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:59 pm

You just seen the above now????? Mick it was your post so do you not read what you post lol.
no musicmania I'm not slipping ; it was Posted earlier today by "M & L in Lissadell" (my helpers)
via carlowmike. read this morning's Post
;-) .
by carlowmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:40 am

I am busy at Mealy's, Rare Books etc., Auction all day today in Castlecomer but M & L will check in on the Forum intermittently from Sligo and answer any questions, please check previous Posts for transport information.
carlowmike .
;-)
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:17 am

carlowmike wrote:
no musicmania I'm not slipping ; it was Posted earlier today by "M & L in Lissadell" (my helpers)
via carlowmike. read this morning's Post
;-) .
by carlowmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:40 am

I am busy at Mealy's, Rare Books etc., Auction all day today in Castlecomer but M & L will check in on the Forum intermittently from Sligo and answer any questions, please check previous Posts for transport information.
carlowmike .
;-)
I'll let you off this once. Didn't realise they were using your login. I'm looking forward to gourmet burgers and a glass of wine to toast Leonard :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:38 am

I had no intention of going to Sligo... but things happen in mysterious ways :)

Thanks to the kindness of some forum member. Carlow Mike has got me a ticket as a gift for the sunday concert.

I am so THRILLED.
Cannot wait to meet everyone and see Leonard again

Much love

Tinderella xxx
QPRMAYO

Post by QPRMAYO » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:49 am

[quote="carlowmike
P.S. qprmayo,I know a few Mayo songs I got from the great Delia Murphy , I will have to sing one for you in Sligo :idea: 8)[/quote]

Thanks Mike
If I hear a rendittion of THE BLACKBIRD lilting through the Sligo air, I 'll know it's you :D :D :D
mutti

Post by mutti » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:51 am

Sitting in McGarrigles in Sligo - we just heard a beautiful rendition of 'Dance Me to the end of Love' with 3 Irish musicians..
great music and place. ;-)
less than 2 days to go now!
Last edited by mutti on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
edlosi

Post by edlosi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:15 am

Hi Mutti,
would like to be there too.
And don't forget the details. :razz:
doctorjohn

Post by doctorjohn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:42 am

Geting ready to start packing to drive from Manchester to Stranraer, then to Tyrone to stay the night with in-laws, then off to Sligo Sat morning - rent a cottage halfway up Benbulben for the past 12 summers - looking forward to my first Leonard concert! Know Carney and Lissadell well, but still not quite sure where the free carparks will be.
CarlowMike, you have been an incredible source of info over the past few weeks; hope I manage to bump into you and/or some of the other forum members; will listen out for you singing in the interval :)
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:33 am

doctorjohn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:42 am
Geting ready to start packing to drive from Manchester to Stranraer, then to Tyrone to stay the night with in-laws, then off to Sligo Sat morning - rent a cottage halfway up Benbulben for the past 12 summers - looking forward to my first Leonard concert! Know Carney and Lissadell well, but still not quite sure where the free carparks will be.
CarlowMike, you have been an incredible source of info over the past few weeks; hope I manage to bump into you and/or some of the other forum members; will listen out for you singing in the interval
Free Car Park near Lissadell is signposted. (7 minute walk from grounds).
Farmers are opening fields in the area for parking.
Light rain up here but forecast points to a dry weekend.
Everything in place now.
We will continue to email in any Lissadell-Sligo news today.
M & L in Lissadell.
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:17 pm

Excuse me if the information has already been posted, but is there a tree planting today? I'm in Sligo and would love to be there. I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it......
Thanks

Return to “The World Tour 2010”