Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
scarlet

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by scarlet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks Mike :)
AnnandGerry

Post by AnnandGerry » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:21 pm

scarlet wrote:Hi all, am having huge difficulties getting any sense out of discoversligo. I live in Co Roscommon and would like to be considerate and travel to the concert by coach. But im unable to find out which of the pick up points have enough car parking spaces so i can leave the car and get on the coach! Theres no information about the location of the pick up points at all and no one seems to respond to questions on the blog. I have spent hours searching and trying to match up bits of info to plan the journey and it seems i have to risk missing the concert because i cant park the car at the pick up point for the coaches?
Hi Scarlet,

We'll be coming from Co. Roscommon as well. We decided to get the coach from Markree Castle at Collooney (there's only the one and it leaves at 3:00pm!) as we felt it would be easier to park the car there, a lot less hassle than finding parking in Sligo.

I've just phoned Markree Castle and they say they've absolutely no problem with us parking our car there for the duration.

Ann
scarlet

Post by scarlet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Good plan Ann, it does look like Makree is the most likely place to get parking. Thanks :)
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:47 pm

scarlet wrote :I live in Co Roscommon and would like to be considerate and travel to the concert by coach. But im unable to find out which of the pick up points have enough car parking spaces so i can leave the car and get on the coach!
nearby parking available in:
Tesco
Glasshouse (underground)
Connaughton Road
Abbey Street

All within 5 minute walking distance to the Markievicz Road pick up point ;-) .
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
AnnandGerry

Post by AnnandGerry » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:54 pm

scarlet wrote:Good plan Ann, it does look like Makree is the most likely place to get parking. Thanks :)
No problem, Scarlet. Just make sure you book on line in advance as I don't think you can pay as you get on! This is the link: http://www.discoverytours.ws/index.php? ... =273592125.

You'll also need to print out their email reply to you - they state "As this is a private hire bus no-one will be permitted on the bus without this document".

Ann
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:26 pm

scarlet wrote :I live in Co Roscommon and would like to be considerate and travel to the concert by coach. But im unable to find out which of the pick up points have enough car parking spaces so I can leave the car and get on the coach!
Bus Eireann have advised today that there is ample free car-parking near the Bus Eireann Station in Sligo.
They are providing a direct service from the bus station to the Concert area.
The coaches will depart from the bus station at 3oc, 3.30 and 4pm, (beside Train Station).
Depending on demand they are prepared to run extra buses.
Fare: Adults, 10 euro return, 7 euro return for children.
Pre-booking is not necessary but people can book if they want or pay at ticket office.
If people would like to make enquiries they can call the Sligo travel centre on 071 91 60066.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
mamita1728

Post by mamita1728 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:25 pm

I am desperately trying to find hotel accommodation as near to Sligo as possible for 4 adults. Everywhere I try is booked up!! We will arrive in Ireland on Friday 30th July and leave on Monday 2nd August. If anyone has any idea of availabilitiy could you please let me know. I am looking for somewhere with about a 30 minute drive from sligo town centre. Any help would be much appreciated.
raincoatgorm

Markree to Lissadell

Post by raincoatgorm » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Just wondering if there is anyone staying in Markree Castle who might like to share a car to Lissadell a little later than the scheduled priority coach, which leaves at 3 p.m.? A local taxi operator gave me a quote of 40 euro for an eight-seater car, but it's a little steep for just the two of us!
scarlet

Post by scarlet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Mamita - you could try Yeats County Inn Hotel at Curry, its big and nice and not much over half an hour to sligo. Tel 094 9255050
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:08 pm

by mamita1728 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:25 pm
I am desperately trying to find hotel accommodation as near to Sligo as possible for 4 adults. Everywhere I try is booked up!! We will arrive in Ireland on Friday 30th July and leave on Monday 2nd August. If anyone has any idea of availabilitiy could you please let me know. I am looking for somewhere with about a 30 minute drive from sligo town centre. Any help would be much appreciated.
Yes, I am told there is several places offering accomodation at the moment.
You can visit the discoversligo link http://www.DiscoverSligo.com
for further details.
Or phone Marion at discoversligo office. 071 9147488.
Also up to this weekend there was still availability at :
Innisfree International College & Convention Centre

http://www.iiccc.info 071-9119911 info@iiccc.info 086 6005106
OzzieTR

Post by OzzieTR » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi, lucky me... I came to Dublin from Turkey and managed to have a ticket! I am coming to the concert for Saturday night by bus from Dublin. Any suggestions on if I should stay for Sunday and enjoy the place. (and of course, will there be a place to stay with all these fans pouring)
There are special bus taking from Dublin and immediately taking us back to Dublin after the concert but I, on the other hand, think it would be nice to meet with some fans after the concert and have some fun maybe! I didn't read all the posts so if there are any plans or any advise on this, I'll be more than happy to join.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:51 pm

By all means Ozzie, stay for Sunday. There will still be plenty forum members and fans still there as a number of us are going to the Sunday night concert. You might want to take a look at this, underneath the photo of the lanyards for the meetup locations. viewtopic.php?f=44&t=21790#p229570. Looking forward to meeting you.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:34 pm

by OzzieTR » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi, lucky me... I came to Dublin from Turkey and managed to have a ticket! I am coming to the concert for Saturday night by bus from Dublin. Any suggestions on if I should stay for Sunday and enjoy the place. (and of course, will there be a place to stay with all these fans pouring)
Message from Turtle today, cannot attend Sligo,
( on Sat. next will be with Sir Terry Wogan on a hot-air balloon flight over the south-east :!: .),
so OzzieTR there may be spare room ,
if you don't get fixed up send email to
: galwaydeclan@hotmail.com
sandraa

Post by sandraa » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:06 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandraarms ... 463606163/

some sligo photos- i would really recommend a visit to Drumcliffe Church.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:12 am

by sandraa » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:49 pm
I was in Sligo yesterday and there's quite a sense of excitement. The staff in Garavogue are expecting up to 500 and everyone's hoping for good weather.I love the posters asking for good will ambassadors over the weekend and stating that Leonard will cast a cold eye on Sligo.
Lissadell itself is fairly well closed off, crowd barriers are up and security is quite tight with cars being routinely turned away .
Great pictures Sandraa , thanks for sharing.
Pity you did not let me know you were on the way up, we could have arranged a little tour of the grounds for you.
They started to assemble the seating over the weekend.
My two "helpers" on this thread , Malcolm and Lolita, leave tomorrow for Sligo to commence work,
on holiday from Carlow Tempe at The Holy Angels Day Care Centre, Carlow,
they will be working on the Concert Grounds over next weekend.
Both of them along with Marion were responsible for many of the "Answers to Questions" and advice over the past month on this Sligo-Help thread.
I got some of the praise for their work but it was mostly all down to their efforts, research and computer and internet knowledge.
THANK YOU both
;-),
carlowmike.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”