Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by carlowmike » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Extracts from Irish Daily Mirror, 23 July.
HALLELUJAH IT'S COHEN.
Lissadell House Concert will be a spiritual experience for veteran singer Leonard ..and his fans.
Anyone who managed to make it to Leonard Cohen's shows at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham a couple of years ago will know that seeing the great man in the great outdoors is akin to a religious experience.
So when he plays Lissadell House, about which his great hero WB Yeats wrote so often, it could veer to the transcendental.
And at 75 Cohen said he is grateful for the reception his return to the road has been given - even if his hand was forced by money mismanagement.
He explained "The response has been very, very, very, hospitable, and it's been a generally very nourishing experience.
We've been all over the world and you know, one is never sure that it's going to work again. You're never sure from concert to concert, actually, because there's some part of it you don't command."
Of course, his songs have been covered by many and Cohen said it is a result of his lack of attention to detail.
He said : My sense of ownership with these things is very weak. It's not the result of spiritual discipline it's always been that way. My sense of proprietorship has been so weak that actually I didn't pay attention and I lost the copyrights on a lot of the songs".
Cohen has hinted that there might also be a move towards new material in the sets at Lissadell.
He said ; "The clear sense that you know you're in the homeward stretch is a very compelling component in writing. A lot of other things fall away that you hope would satisfy you like human life, and your own work, because everything else somehow has failed.
I'm speaking not just for myself. Somehow, just in the nature of things, you know, the disappointments accumulate, and the obstacles multiply and you sense the destruction of your body, and your mind, and you feel here is the last arena, "arena" is too big, the last boxing ring, or the last Ouija board, where you can examine some of the ideas that have intrigued you. That have seized you really". ......;-)
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:20 pm

A fine specimen of a Canadian Maple Tree has been delivered to Sligo.
Frelander made a 7 hour return trip yesterday to deliver the tree into the custody of Sean Cunningham of Shenanigans.
Thank you very much frelander, your kind gesture is and will be very much appreciated by all. :)
Details on the tree-planting ceremony will follow later.

Yes, another fine article by Nick Kelly interviewing Sharon Robinson and Charley Webb "AND ON BACKING VOCALS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN" in today's Irish Independent ( between meself and musicmaina we hope to put it up on the Forum "News Section"for all of you to read) .
Also article by Declan Burke in today's Evening / Weekend Herald, in which broadcaster John Kelly recalls writing, as a teenager, to Leonard and receiving a reply with Leonard's phone number :idea: .
;-)
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
mutti

Post by mutti » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks for posting these newspaper articles Carlow Mike.
Great reading...looking forward to hearing more about the tree planting...
Canadian maples are beautiful and a great salute to Canada.
Les (Mutti) ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks so much for all the information and updates, Mick. :D

I echo Leslie's sentiments regarding the tree planting. Canadian maples are indeed magnificent and a more perfect gesture of respect to Leonard could not be found. It is a living thing of beauty that will be flourishing long after we are all gone.

See you all soon!!

Diana
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:47 pm

mutti has arrive safe and sound in Ireland ,
I met her in Dublin this morning
;-) .
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:04 pm

joehar wrote: My parents went to all his Irish concerts up to 2009. My dad passed away quite suddenly at Christmas. The book signing was for my mother. She is some years older than Leonard, her memory is failing now, she spends much time listening to LPs of Leonard that have been in the house forever, this brings her calm and consolation. At the end of this month we are bringing her to Sligo for the 2 concerts. We will be delighted to meet you all, this forum is a great source and service to us, seeing and hearing Leonard live will be our reward, Joe.
joehar, let us know where you are seated (no response from you to emails or PMs),
a member has indicated that they have mid-row seats close to the stage that they don't now need.
they would be willing to pass on to you,

email: 23rob23@gmail.com.
jeney

Post by jeney » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:00 pm

carlowmike » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:47 pm

mutti has arrive safe and sound in Ireland ,
I met her in Dublin this morning .
Welcome to Ireland mutti, when are you going to Sligo ?
looking forward to meeting you there.
Did you bring some Prayer Flags ? (great idea :idea: ),
beautiful day in Kildare today, jeney
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:47 pm

[quote="jeneybeautiful day in Kildare today, jeney[/quote]

Was it? Yesterday was nicer! Forecast for Friday is rain and mist in the North-West :( Hope that changes for Saturday!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
mutti

Post by mutti » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 am

Arrived in Dublin yesterday and just up now feeling the jet lag haze...
The prayer flags are flying in my back garden and were just part of a crazy dream I had...
so letting them fly in the wind back home..
Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting to Sligo!
rain or shine we are so blessed to be seeing Leonard live again in concert!
Yahoo!
Les (Mutti) 8) ;-) 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
jeney

Post by jeney » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:34 am

by mutti » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 am

I work in Kildare Street, Dublin which is near where you are all staying,
maybe we could have a meet for lunch before Sligo ? jeney.
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:48 am

In the final furlong for this thread now so we will have a brief update of some of the informative Posts.
From June
The people I met at the "coming Together for Sligo" meeting in Sligo are very proud that Leonard Cohen is coming to their town and are eager that prices for services remain at normal levels during the weekend of the Concert, as they do not want Sligo to be regarded as a "rip-off" town and they are eager that visitors will have a good experience and will want to return to Sligo in the future.
This is good for us Concert-goers and for them.
One of the comforting quotes from that meeting came from Sean Cunningham when he stated that the committee would be very interested in the feedback from Concert-goers and visitors to Sligo over the weekend, " if there are complaints regarding Sligo services, he said, we will want to know what went wrong ".
Taxi-cabs are keeping the fares at normal levels.
The taxi fare from Sligo to Carney is approx. 16 euro.
The shuttle bus from Carney to Lissadell is 2 or 3 euro,
Discoversligo bus service direct to Lissadell , tickets available on the day at Discover Sligo offices, Markievicz Road.
Bus Eireann service direct to Lissadell , tickets availabe on the day at ticket office in Sligo Bus Station.
There are a number of other bus companies offering a service, not yet sure of details
;-) .
sandraa

Post by sandraa » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:49 pm

I was in Sligo yesterday and there's quite a sense of excitement. The staff in Garavogue are expecting up to 500 and everyone's hoping for good weather.I love the posters asking for good will ambassadors over the weekend and stating that Leonard will cast a cold eye on Sligo.
Lissadell itself is fairly well closed off, crowd barriers are up and security is quite tight with cars being routinely turned away .
I'll post a link to some photos later.I love how the Chinese in Carney has posted a huge notice re their hours at the entrance to Lissadell.
The church at Drumcliffe was open yesterday and it's well worth visiting, cakes in the coffee shop are of enormous proportions.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:42 pm

jeney » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:34 am

by mutti » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 am

Jenny wrote :I work in Kildare Street, Dublin which is near where you are all staying,
maybe we could have a meet for lunch before Sligo ? jeney.
We hope to have lunch tomorrow in Dublin, waiting for ladydi and a few others to arrive from USA.
Anyone interested in joining us email me carlowmike@gmail.com ;-) .
scarlet

Post by scarlet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi all, am having huge difficulties getting any sense out of discoversligo. I live in Co Roscommon and would like to be considerate and travel to the concert by coach. But im unable to find out which of the pick up points have enough car parking spaces so i can leave the car and get on the coach! Theres no information about the location of the pick up points at all and no one seems to respond to questions on the blog. I have spent hours searching and trying to match up bits of info to plan the journey and it seems i have to risk missing the concert because i cant park the car at the pick up point for the coaches?
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:10 pm

by scarlet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi all, am having huge difficulties getting any sense out of discoversligo. I live in Co Roscommon and would like to be considerate and travel to the concert by coach. But im unable to find out which of the pick up points have enough car parking spaces so i can leave the car and get on the coach! Theres no information about the location of the pick up points at all and no one seems to respond to questions on the blog. I have spent hours searching and trying to match up bits of info to plan the journey and it seems i have to risk missing the concert because i cant park the car at the pick up point for the coaches?
scarlet,
Phone Marion at 071 9147488, she will advise you on pickup points etc.
Discoversligo coaches leave from the Discoversligo office on Markievicz Road, near to Shenanigans and The Garavouge, (large carpark nearby). Tickets may be purchased at the office on the day ;-) .

Any problem email : marion@discoverytours.ws
Last edited by carlowmike on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”