Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by carlowmike »

Keith McNair has put up this link for interactive Blog for discussion on all matters relating to Sligo during the period July 29th to August 2nd 2010.
If you feel you do not require assistance of any kind then there is no need to open it -- concerts.discoversligo.com
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
allanmacdermaid

Post by allanmacdermaid »

folks
looking for some info regarding our trip to sligo, we arrive at dublin airport on friday 30th july, (lunchtime) we are planning to get a train from dublin to sligo, how far is it from the airport to the train station? bus? how long will it take to travel from dublin over to sligo? how far is it from sligo railway station to the clarion hotel?
thanks if anyone can help with some info.
allan & eileen.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

by allanmacdermaid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 am

folks
looking for some info regarding our trip to sligo, we arrive at dublin airport on friday 30th july, (lunchtime) we are planning to get a train from dublin to sligo, how far is it from the airport to the train station? bus? how long will it take to travel from dublin over to sligo? how far is it from sligo railway station to the clarion hotel?
allan & eileen.
Allan, Eileen,
you can get a bus from Dublin airport to Connolly train station in Dublin, (about 20 mins).
Trains from Dublin to Sligo run regularly from Connolly station to Sligo town.
I believe the train link is serviced by a new modern fleet of trains. with tea-trolly service on board.

Trains leave Dublin Connolly train station for Sligo every odd hour at 10 minutes past the hour.
The train time from Dublin to Sligo is 3 hours.

The cost of a one-way train ticket from Dublin to Sligo can be as low as 10.00 EUR for standard class. Prices may vary on weekends.
I will send you a booking link via email, ( email me : carlowmike@gmail.com) ;-) .
The Clarion Hotel, Ballinode, is about 2km from Sligo railway station, best means of travel to hotel may be by taxi, unless the hotel provides a shuttle bus service :idea:
:!:
Last edited by carlowmike on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
allanmacdermaid

carlowmike wrote:
by allanmacdermaid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 am

folks
allan & eileen.
Allan, Eileen,
you can get a bus from Dublin airport to Connolly train station in Dublin, (about 20 mins).
Trains from Dublin to Sligo run regularly from Connolly station to Sligo town.
I believe the train link is serviced by a new modern fleet of trains. with meals etc. served on board.

Trains leave Dublin Connolly train station for Sligo every odd hour at 10 minutes past the hour.
The train time from Dublin to Sligo is 3 hours.

The cost of a one-way train ticket from Dublin to Sligo can be as low as 10.00 EUR for standard class. Prices may vary on weekends.
I will send you a booking link via email, ( email me : carlowmike@gmail.com) ;-) .
The Clarion Hotel, Ballinode, is about 2km from Sligo railway station, best means of travel to hotel may be by taxi, unless the hotel provides a shuttle bus service :idea:
:!:
thanks carlowmike, great information, i tried to book a train from dublin - sligo return, but they wont accept bookings more than 28 days before departure, which is no problem. thanks again.

allan / eileen
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

allanmacdermaid wrote : thanks carlowmike, great information, i tried to book a train from dublin - sligo return, but they wont accept bookings more than 28 days before departure, which is no problem. thanks again.

allan / eileen

Please note that Keith McNair has contacted me this morning to say that meals are no longer served on the Dublin=Sligo train.
The 10 euro fare is available only by booking on-line.
Travel for those over 65 is free, but you must hold a Free Travel Pass :idea: ,
are you there ( 65) yet , Allan or Eileen :?: :) --- ( nearly there meself :cry: )....
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

MAYOR OF SLIGO, Councilor Jim McGarry WELCOMES ALL VISITORS TO THE LISSADELL CONCERTS.
As the sun sets on my time as Mayor I would like to take this opportunity to welcome all those who will be visiting Sligo for the Lissadell concerts at the end of July. The beautiful Georgian mansion and lovingly restored grounds will be the perfect setting for the haunting music of Leonard Cohen and the Westlife homecoming concert.
I am also delighted that we are been given this opportunity to showcase the Sligo region. Failte Ireland along with the County Enterprise Board and the various stakeholders are working very hard to ensure that a series of events and activities are held around Sligo to compliment these events.
On behalf of Sligo Borough Council I look forward to working with the various stakeholders to both promote and assist these events in any way possible. In tandem with the Temple House festival, these events mark a new dawn for the future of concerts and musical festivals in the Sligo region.
We are harnessing our historical and natural assets to attract visitors to our region and have them sample the best of all that Sligo has to offer. I want to assure people that I will be working tirelessly to ensure that all aspects of this three day event will be well co-ordinated and fun for visitors and locals alike.
( To the Leonard Cohen Forum , courtesy of Keith McNair).
allanmacdermaid

carlowmike wrote:
allanmacdermaid wrote : thanks carlowmike, great information, i tried to book a train from dublin - sligo return, but they wont accept bookings more than 28 days before departure, which is no problem. thanks again.

allan / eileen

Please note that Keith McNair has contacted me this morning to say that meals are no longer served on the Dublin=Sligo train.
The 10 euro fare is available only by booking on-line.
Travel for those over 65 is free, but you must hold a Free Travel Pass :idea: ,
are you there ( 65) yet , Allan or Eileen :?: :) --- ( nearly there meself :cry: )....
few years to go yet im afraid, so i will just have to pay the full fare :( , never mind, i will book a premier seat, and take some egg & onion sandwiches with me, that should give us a bit of space around us on the journey :D :D :D
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

5 Weeks To Go.
carlowmike » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:39 am
during this coming week we should have news on the time that Leonard comes on stage ,
also details from Bus Eireann and some other links,
plus some tickets for sale at cost price in BlockA.
Last week was a "no news" week :!: .
hopefully news on all of the above will soon fall into place.
This week Forum Member, musicmania, is up in "the west" with her camera,
we can look forward to her report and pictures at the end of this week,
musicmania will be meeting up with a local contact who will arrange for her to visit
the Lissadell Concert Venue on Tuesday afternoon.
Recently I put up a link for interactive Blog concerning data on Concerts+Sligo but Members have told me they could not open it ,
well here it is again,
it is intended only for those who need information on Sligo during the weekend of the Concerts ;-)

Cohen & Westlife at Lissadell - check out http://www.concerts.discoversligo.com
Last edited by carlowmike on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeney

Post by jeney »

Here is a great new link for Lissadell House and gardens.
with great pictures and contact information.
I will be up in the area later this week, I will get a few pictures of the stage and seating
and draw up a map of the general layout of things to share with you all.

Lissadell House and Gardens SligoLarge 19th century Neo-Classical house and gardens overlooking Sligo Bay.

Information - Visiting - Contact - House
http://www.lissadellhouse.com/ - Cached - Similar
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Here is a link for photos of Sligo City. It is a beautiful place! Full of historical buildings and all based around The Garavogue RIver. There are photos of The Garavogue Pub and also of Shenanigans. Heading to Lissadell tomorrow and will have photos tomorrow night :D

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... f323777042
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Gorgeous photos Gwen!! I'll reply more on FB but you've really scoped out the territory!! Looking great...er, just need a little more sun in 4 weeks!

Thank you SO much!
Diana
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

We need more sun NOW as looking very cloudy :( Hopefully in approx 3 hours when I'm at Lissadell it will be blanket sunshine ;-)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
shoreofneed

Post by shoreofneed »

Thanks for the update Carlowmike. If any member has word on bus travel from Kilkenny to Sligo please let us know.
Thanks to musicmania for the pictures, looking forward to your pictures of the concert layout.
5 of us are staying at the Raddisson Hotel, any idea how far that is from the town ?.
Phoenix, New York MSG, Las Vegas.
To The Shores of Need
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

by roan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:48 pm

roan wrote in reply to Rpan:
As part of the traffic management plan, discoversligo are providing the Priority Coach Service to Lissadell from Sligo hotels, town centre and from Bundoran. The Priority Coach Service is a major part of a coordinated effort to minimize traffic congestion and is the only service that will deliver concert-goers direct to Lissadell

Carlowmike have you any idea if this is true---only service is with discoversligo ?
As of today it appears that indeed this may be the case.
I spoke with Marie King McGovern of Bus Eireann this morning and have learned that
Bus Eireann will not, afterall, be providing a shuttle-bus service during the weekend of the Concerts.
There will be more news on this later, ;-)
by shoreofneed » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks for the update Carlowmike. If any member has word on bus travel from Kilkenny to Sligo please let us know.
Thanks to musicmania for the pictures, looking forward to your pictures of the concert layout.
5 of us are staying at the Raddisson Hotel, any idea how far that is from the town ?.
No news on bus service from Kilkenny yet. The Radisson Hotel is 2 miles from Sligo town.
roan

Post by roan »

Thanks for info carlowmike
Have booked transfer with discoversligo now, seems it was a good move---wanted security of knowing we were going to get to Lissadell with the least hassle. I dont have a problem with using a private company --enterprise should be encouraged.
roan :D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”