Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by carlowmike » Sun May 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Dinner planned for 30th July in Sligo.
Please contact me with suggestions.
Last edited by carlowmike on Sun May 30, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Sun May 16, 2010 3:13 pm

To: carlowmike@gmail.com.
Hi Again Mike,

I have booked a hire car from Donegal airport on Friday 30th at 4pm
driving down to Sligo returning 3pm Sunday 1st august to tie in with
Glasgow flights.

Please could you pass on my email to anyone interested in car share to
help cut down the costs ?

Many Thanks

Margaret
--
Margaret Steventon
margarets@mailhaven.com
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
ronmed

Post by ronmed » Sun May 16, 2010 3:32 pm

So, does that mean that as I am not a Forum "old-timer" or first time visitor to Ireland, I will not be allowed in the The Library Bar? How will these people be identified at the door?

Much as I appreciate help and information, I'm beginning to feel that things are becoming very 'organised' and 'controlled.'
But my dear gilly-rjd, another member has said there are 50 pubs in Sligo town.
You don't Have to go to the Garravouge !.
Anyone can set up a meeting place, a meet-up venue for old Cohen Dubliners would be most welcome.
If a room is reserved in the Garravouge with notice on door " Reserved for friends from previous meet up's"
I certainly would respect that , why not ?
The Garavouge holds a thousand people , let us newcomers network with new contacts for ourselves to meet again at future concerts, God willing, ?.
AnnandGerry

Post by AnnandGerry » Sun May 16, 2010 3:43 pm

I really do feel people are getting extremely "mealy-mouthed" about all of this - just skip over the post, if you're not interested. But many people are, and surely it's great that there are some people out there who are prepared to do the ground work and be as helpful as possible - especially when the concert is being held in a more out of the way place such as Lisadell? It can sometimes hard to figure out what's really meant on the "official" websites - local knowledge is so much better. So what, if a website for "deep-sea fishing, mining and genealogy" is included - I'm sure there will be some people interested in tracing their roots!!

CarlowMike and the others are doing a terrific job ferretting out this info - and I speak as someone who knows Sligo reasonably well! For example, I didn't know that Hargadon's was open again and doing food - great news!

Ann
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Sun May 16, 2010 4:50 pm

subjectLeonard Cohen
mailed-bygmail.com
signed-bygmail.com

hide details 2:39 PM (0 minutes ago)

Mick,
may I make a suggestion that Shenanigans Pub be designated as a meet-up venue for Leonard Cohen Fans travelling from Kildare / Offaly / Offaly to Sligo Concert. I lived in Sligo for a number of years , Shenanigans Pub is situated across the road from The Garavouge. I know the owner and he would make us Kildare Cohenites exceptionally welcome . if this is possible and not upsetting plans, please forward this request to the forum and give my email address. Thanks to you and Frances for all you are doing , Jean.
Thats the style Jean , ;-)
more of that , :)

of course please do organize Shennanigans as a pre-concert meet-up Venue for our Offaly and Kildare friends, great idea,
I will try to make sure it is included as a pick-up point for the shuttle buses ..

Jean is at : kildaregenealogy@gmail.com.
Last edited by carlowmike on Sun May 30, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Sun May 16, 2010 6:38 pm

edited
Last edited by carlowmike on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandraa

Post by sandraa » Mon May 17, 2010 12:27 am

The Garavogue is a beautiful place, also quite busy and noisy with a lot of tv's and screens. The library suggestion for visitors etc is a good idea if people want to meet up with old friends etc.Hopefully we'll be using the outdoor area- food was great and ranged from soup at 4 euros
annmarie

Post by annmarie » Mon May 17, 2010 12:36 am

Mike, Sligo is a relatievly small town, so I can't see people getting lost! :)
You're doing a great job trying to organise meet ups and transport etc. I just hope things don't get too fragmented, ie more than one meet up venue etc.
Hope you're not stressing yourself too much, it will all be great on the day/s :)
Anne
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon May 17, 2010 10:56 am

edited 07/08/10
Last edited by carlowmike on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon May 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Mention of our 2009 New York meet-up reminds me of a little piece that one of our party wrote to commemorate the Event :
Following the unveiling of the Plaque to Leonard on The Chelsea Hotel some of us gathered in a nearby pub
called "East of Eight" and then, despite being seated outside during a thunder storm, something extraordinary happened ....... 8)
we hope to re-capture this "moment" in Sligo in 2010, here is the piece :

East of Eighth

(Response to a Monsoon)

Beneath the awning they took refuge.

Alexandra talked of leaving; they declined. Minutes gave birth to hours and a day of wonderment came to be.

Strangers no longer, they merged and melted. Secrets, stories, words of wisdom shared. A diverse cluster bonding beneath the barrage.

An actor acted, a songster sang. They huddled and conversed, they whispered and spoke volumes. They ebbed and flowed.

And all the while a quiet reverence to their own Apollo encompassed them

The awning above laboured under the ever present deluge, yet they continued.

Unhindered by the elements, brave soldiers by the sidewalk.

Like the men of the east they had travelled from afar. Flocking to the Garden to worship at the feet of their saviour. And he did not fail them. He fed their emotional hunger and desire for sensual intimacy. Their longing for his scripture and song was fulfilled. Their need of him satiated once more.

They immortalised him in bronze. As though he needed it.

As twilight approached, like the all day rain, their unfailing love of him did not wane. They sat and sipped. They hugged and kissed. Beneath the starless sky they parted.

And all the while a quiet reverence encompassed them.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon May 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks Frances ---
:neutral:
I hope that most of you will retain similar memories of our encounters from Sligo 2010.
ronmed

Post by ronmed » Mon May 17, 2010 1:19 pm

"East of Eight"
I feel like I was there -
in fact I feel like I am there !.
(Leonard is the only other one who can do that for me !- it must be infectious !.
maltmom

Post by maltmom » Mon May 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Ah, but I was there. Thanks again for the wonderful poem and remembrances Frances, (and CarlowMike, Frank, Trish, Bernard) how I hated to leave and return to NJ while you guys were still having so much fun! And unfortunately I won't be able to join you in Sligo this year; I was there in '81 just a few years too early - unless someone want to donate to the LEP fund (Lorraine's Empty Pockets) hehehe. What a memorable day at the Chelsea ceremony then Madison Square Garden then up all night with the Irish contingent. It will be remembered always and I've met friends which I'll always treasure. Have been on the forum since 95 or 96; just lost my original login name and rejoined last year. Do wish you'd join facebook too Mike-lots of us are there as well and have continued to meet many more Cohenites. Sligo is the one concert I want to go to darn it all for lack of money. You are doing a wonderful job here Mike. Hats (or fedora) off to ya!
Love, Lorraine Sexton
NYC-MSG – 2012, Las Vegas -2010, MSG - 2009, Philadelphia - 2009, Philadelphia – 1993, Philadelphia – 1988, Philadelphia – 1985, Philadelphia-Main Point - 1975
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon May 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Ah yes Lorraine,
"I remember you well from the Chelsea Hotel" --
I should have stated that prior to our meet-up we were all strangers to each other, :shock:
now we are "friends for life"-
but , Everybody Knows That's How It Goes... ;-)
Wish you ALL the same experience for Sligo meet-ups .
Last edited by carlowmike on Fri May 28, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Mon May 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Commencing count down from today :
75 Days To Go

here is another handy link for first-timers to Sligo....
www.breifne.ie

Return to “The World Tour 2010”