CONCERT REPORTS: Las Vegas, Nevada, December 10 & 11, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
TineDoes

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Las Vegas, Nevada, December 10 & 11, 2010

Post by TineDoes » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:51 am

holydove wrote:Tineke, I hear you!! And those are the most eloquent two words, IMHO!! I have never been able to find the words to describe a Leonard Cohen concert (though I do admire those who can)!!

I feel like a mute person who has just tasted ice cream (or substitute your own favorite food here) for the first time, & is trying to describe the experience. I have been catapulted into outer space, searching for something to grasp onto or stand on, but there is nothing that can contain this huge incomparable indescribable WONDROUS & ECSTATIC experience. I am sure that all the planets of all the universes have flown from their orbits - the orbits themselves have flown from their orbits - & nothing in the world will ever be the same again. My heart & my mind have exploded & dissolved & been stunned into a state of uncontainable AWE & WONDER, & are floating out there in that orbitless universe. . .
Holydove, I hear you too! What a wonderful vivid image you use to describing your emotions.
Thank you for your labour of love with the cd.
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:01 am

Still trying to get home, we are stock at Beale-street Memphis,

Our flight is canceled, but we try again tomorrow, :?

Wijbe and Willy
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++ https://www.LCeventAmsterdam.icantforget.nl +++ --
scubasam

Post by scubasam » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:04 am

Wybe wrote:Still trying to get home, we are stock at Beale-street Memphis,

Wijbe and Willy
Fly on over to MD, we'd love to have you and will have a very comfortable guest room ready and waiting :-)! Have a safe trip home. Was great meeting you in LV and having dinner with you.
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:13 am

Thank you so much for your warm invitation, if we are stock here for an other week we will come over.
It was great meeting you also,

Wijbe and Willy
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++ https://www.LCeventAmsterdam.icantforget.nl +++ --
scubasam

Post by scubasam » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:15 am

Wybe wrote:Thank you so much for your warm invitation, if we are stock here for an other week we will come over.
It was great meeting you also,

Wijbe and Willy
Seriously, we would love to have you guys, so contact me or Avi if you are stuck and we'll figure it all out!!
brightnow

Post by brightnow » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:19 am

Very very seriously: jump on any flight to one of our three airports: BWI, DCA or IAD and call -- we will pick you up.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:36 am

Wijbe and Willy
............. or come on down to Texas!!!
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
dick

Post by dick » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Gwen -- thanks for the link... your wonderful picture and report look even better there!

Rachel -- your poetic descriptions also ring very true. And great to see you and Bob again.

For those who signed the card for Esther at the Sunday concert with Sylvie... Esther reports she was thrilled to receive recognition from Vegas and asked me to extend thanks to all who signed it.

Wijbe and Willy --you also have a home base in New York if you need it. Hoping for safe travel for you soon.

Sturgess66 -- you really should have come!

Where is the Goddess? Great to see Valerie for a short second.... and to reconnect with so many great friends, Anne and Knut, Leslie, Mary B, Sharon, Joe and Anne, Ken and Suzanne, Dave, Evelyn, Don, Tish, Kim, Lisa, Marie, Jarkko, Andrea and Marco, just to mention a few when there were also so many others!

And, as so many of us have said.... That LC guy was very special too!

Hugs Everyone
BD
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:21 pm

And that LC guy broke FOUR HOURS [4 hours!!!] on his final concert of this 2010 Tour in Las Vegas!!!

All of those hours, those many MANY songs, all that time with his beloved fans... and NO use of a TELEPROMPTER!!!

Leonard is a force of nature.

My beloved force of nature... my spiritual mentor.
May I one day come even close.

[And on that memory issue... I have all I can do to memorize a grocery list. Truly.]

Wonderful to see you and Linda, again, too, Dick.

Wijbe and Willy ~ I'm happy ONLY for the many people you've encountered in your dire, travel circumstances, who have gotten the opportunity to meet two such incredible people. You are NO doubt using the opportunity to spread your love of life and your love of Leonard. May you find your way home safely soon.

Love,
Tish/Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
basecamp

Post by basecamp » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Wijbe and Willy
Willy and Wijbe, hope you both are travelling home safely & soon!

-Hans
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:52 pm

lizzytysh wrote:And that LC guy broke FOUR HOURS [4 hours!!!] on his final concert of this 2010 Tour in Las Vegas!!!

All of those hours, those many MANY songs, all that time with his beloved fans... and NO use of a TELEPROMPTER!!!

Leonard is a force of nature.

My beloved force of nature... my spiritual mentor.
May I one day come even close.

[And on that memory issue... I have all I can do to memorize a grocery list. Truly.]

Wonderful to see you and Linda, again, too, Dick.

Wijbe and Willy ~ I'm happy ONLY for the many people you've encountered in your dire, travel circumstances, who have gotten the opportunity to meet two such incredible people. You are NO doubt using the opportunity to spread your love of life and your love of Leonard. May you find your way home safely soon.

Love,
Tish/Lizzy
Wonderful description of the concert Lizzy!!! The part I've highlighted reflects how I feel too.

@Dick Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it. Lovely gesture to have a card for Esther. Had I known I'd have been honoured to sign.

How is everyone feeling one week on? I'm still very ill but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. As I type I have a download of the entire concert playing. Thanks to Dr. Heck of a Guy for the link.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
John in LA

Post by John in LA » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:53 am

Dear Mr. Cohen,

About your concert over at that Roman bathhouse the other day, it was great, thanks again.

See you around.

John E
"and did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
and what did you want?
to call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth."

Late fragment
Raymond Carver

"can't start it like a car, can't stop it with a gun..."

Warren Zevon, referring to love...
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:04 am

Hello everyone
I have just been reading everyones reviews on this concert.I,unfortunately was not there,but have seen Leonard each time he played Lisbon.
What i really want to say is how sad i felt about Gwen´s wonderful experience with meeting Leonard,and then some cruel comments from other members indicating that she was "stalking" him!!! Made me realise what a very "sad" world we live in--Gwen was over the moon (and i don´t blame her).Why choose to "pick on her",and ruin her moment of happiness.Life is cruel enough as it is---I am only suggesting that if people did think she was Stalking him,then perhaps keep those thoughts to yourself--She does not have to justify her actions--just feel happy for her.Life is too short--let us all enjoy our memories of Leonard.He is special---a once in a lifetime gift--let us all be happy to have the honour of sharing him---each in our own way.
Just needed to say that.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:14 am

Other people's extraneous comments will fade, even the ones by those of us who are happy for her.
Gwen's precious memories will live forever.
Carpe diem, Gwen, exactly as you did.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mirka

Post by mirka » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:45 pm

IrishAL wrote:
Passin' through ...the evolution of an idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfDdwAgTzE
enjoy

albert
Albert,

thank you so much for posting this clip, I've been watching it several times with highest interest, as it gives me answer to the question puzzling me all the time when singing: "who is this musically gifted person who made a crowd of strangers to harmonize ?"

Well, it seems that it just happened -- the group initiating the song prepared it in a key different from commonly known (IMHO). I was standing at the Charlie/Hattie side of the stage, and we sung in the same key as Zenon/Larry on his clip.

The result was quite nice, it can be heard on Zenon's clip, around 0:52 and later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQa01ISZRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoDVbkE2Th8

ps.
above I added link to your second clip below Zenon's, they can be watched without interruption (can be done in YT PlayList).
Last edited by mirka on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/

Return to “The World Tour 2010”