CONCERT REPORTS: Oakland, California, December 5 & 6, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Oakland, California, December 5 & 6, 2010

Post by lizzytysh »

wow... I hope she made it in, too.

Such a sweet-looking young woman.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

wow, almost 2 weeks later and I am finally getting around to posting something... the concert was wonderful and emotional. Starting with a rainy drive to Luka's, where it was lovely to hang out with Diana, Scott, Wendy, Leslie (lioness), Heather, Kevin, Kenadian, and Morgan (and Arlene, MarieM, and Bonnie later on, at the theatre). There's nothing like an LC meet-up! It's so nice to be around people who have the same reference points, and not have to explain or qualify your interest in LC, people who are just as obsessed and knowledgeable about the man and his music. Which is why it was extra hilarious when a few of us- all putting our heads together- couldn't come up with the name of the album with the angels embracing on the cover. :lol: :lol: :lol: So many funny moments... Another one illustrating that instant LC bond: when Scott mentioned the "watermelon guy" from the Austin City Limits video- we all knew EXACTLY what he was talking about. :lol: Gotta love it!

We were there probably 2 hours...but the meet-up felt like it went by in 5 minutes. We got into the gorgeous Paramount (see pics at beginning of this thread) right at 7:00... the place was PACKED. Such excitement in the air. We chatted with tech Chris Bynum at the edge of the stage who promised set lists after the show- and he delivered! I was thrilled- my first set list ever. Seats were amazing- I was next to Diana in 2nd row of pit, with an open space in front of us, so it was basically like a front row center seat. Literally nothing between us and the stage. I could see every smile, every expression... so interesting to see the little signals the band gives each other. I saw Leonard say "hello Sharon" when he sidled over to her during FWTM. 8) Very emotional for me to hear Avalanche and Singer Must Die for the first time. I think I forgot to breathe. I have been to the Paramount many times for ballet, classic movies, other concerts, but there is nothing like hearing Leonard's voice fill that sumptous art-Deco palace. Nowhere is Leonard's comment about "being privileged to gather in places like this" more appropriate.

Though LC and band seemed to be having a great time- they were full of smiles- my one complaint is that the audience was a bit tame- a woman on my right was not even clapping. I tend to give these people the benefit of the doubt- maybe she was just so overcome with emotion. But it would have been nice if more people sang along to So Long Marianne, or stood and danced/clapped along during encores, or sang the last line of I'm Your Man when Leonard paused for effect. There were several standing ovations (including a touching one for Sharon Robinson) and cat-calls "we love you Leonard" etc, but the audience could have given a little more, I thought. I guess it's the nature of the theatre vs. a stadium or arena. The show seemed fast- started a bit late- and they went very quickly from one song into another. Leonard started Take This Waltz before the singers were even back onstage. :lol: :lol: The girls literally ran out and were giving each other looks like "thank God we made it." It just seemed to be flying by- very little pause between songs. In fact, my watch had stopped at 10:55, and I swear- when the concert ended and I looked at my watch- this did not seem like an unreasonable time to me. That's how fast the show felt. I guess it was the combination of very little pause between songs, and knowing the general set list (though there were some surprises!), and my emotional state.

I was going through a weird spectrum...from total bliss being "in the moment" to stress at the thought of it ending. Enjoying each song but also thinking it was one song closer to the end of the show, the end of the tour. Very hard to get out of that weird mind loop and just relax and enjoy... I couldn't take my eyes off Leonard this time- even during solos by others- I was watching him because I was trying to burn him into my brain. Very, very emotional. It was my 5th and (probably) last show- and it was very hard to get out of my own head. :(

I think I may be over-sharing now. :lol: :lol: And this window is doing that jumpy thing as i am typing so I will end here and post the few pics I took in a new post...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by mnkyface »

Wendy, Scott, Diana, and Leslie at Luka's. Of course I am kicking myself for not getting a pic with everyone in it, and not getting more pics in general. :roll:
DSC009531.jpg
Loved this girl.
DSC009541.jpg
No pics of me (I'm used to it as a mom- always the one taking the pictures, never in them... :roll: :lol: ) but I looked something like this. Well, maybe just the middle third... ;-)
ymca.jpg
ymca.jpg (17.87 KiB) Viewed 12971 times

Post by mnkyface »

Another one: Wendy, Arlene (with her awesome banner), Marie, and Scott in the front row at the Paramount.
DSC0095712.jpg

Post by ladydi »

mnkyface wrote:I looked something like this. Well, maybe just the middle third... ;-)
:lol: :lol: Esther, you looked fantastic!! What a clever idea of yours to make your own t-shirt. Unfortunately it was too rainy and chilly to be without a jacket, otherwise many more may have seen your creation! Well, with the subdued audience perhaps they wouldn't have grasped the connection!! Although we DO know that Roscoe noticed! ;-) Too bad you couldn't have worn the cutoffs! :D :D

Can't believe either that 2 weeks has past. As much as I loved Las Vegas and the final 2 concerts, I am SOOOOO thankful I went to Oakland. The hotel in Berkeley was lovely and relaxing, and it was wonderful having our little meetup with such special people, AND having those absolutely INCREDIBLE seats!!!! I found the concert powerful...Leonard's voice strong and growly...and so much energy on stage. It was a very very special concert, and very special stay in a lovely area!

Diana
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks for the recap and pictures Esther.
And - damn - I wish someone had taken a picture of you in your Hollywood YMCA t-shirt! :roll:
I do like the t-shirt picture that you posted though. :D
And hopefully someone found a ticket for that young fan.

What a beautiful theatre you had to experience the show!

Wish I had been there!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Esther,

I LOVED reading your wonderful detailed review of the meetup and concert. Thank you for posting it!

Had to laugh when I read the below;
mnkyface wrote:Another one illustrating that instant LC bond: when Scott mentioned the "watermelon guy" from the Austin City Limits video- we all knew EXACTLY what he was talking about. :lol: Gotta love it!
I once asked on the forum if anyone knew the significance of the watermelon - nary a forum member 'hasn't answered yet'. Was that brought up in your conversation? Was there an answer?

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

MaryB wrote: the "watermelon guy" from the Austin City Limits video-
I once asked on the forum if anyone knew the significance of the watermelon - nary a forum member 'hasn't answered yet'. Was that brought up in your conversation? Was there an answer?
Mary
Hi Mary!

I thought I provided an answer way back when! Perhaps it was a dream. Nonetheless, one possibility: fans of the Canadian football team the "Saskatchewan Roughriders" regularly wear watermelons on their heads, carved roughly in the shape of a helmet (their team colour is green, a watermelon green, I guess, but even so...). :roll: Anytime the team plays, grocery stores stock up on watermelons to accommodate the extra demand (no, I am not making this up!). Maybe the guy in Austin was a Roughriders fan! (And, it was Halloween, so some people were dressed up...)

Cheers,
Lisa
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hi Lisa,

So nothing to do with LC. Thank you for clearing up this mystery for me!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

LisaLCFan wrote: one possibility: fans of the Canadian football team the "Saskatchewan Roughriders" regularly wear watermelons on their heads, carved roughly in the shape of a helmet
This sounds like the best theory going, Lisa!

Melonhead- if you're still out there somewhere in Leonard fandom- nicely done. You touched our perfect bodies...with your "rind."

:roll: :lol:

Post by MaryB »

mnkyface wrote:
LisaLCFan wrote: one possibility: fans of the Canadian football team the "Saskatchewan Roughriders" regularly wear watermelons on their heads, carved roughly in the shape of a helmet
This sounds like the best theory going, Lisa!

Melonhead- if you're still out there somewhere in Leonard fandom- nicely done. You touched our perfect bodies...with your "rind." :roll: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

mnkyface wrote: Melonhead- if you're still out there somewhere in Leonard fandom- nicely done. You touched our perfect bodies...with your "rind."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ladydi

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Oakland, California, December 5 & 6, 2

Post by ladydi »

Finally....here are the comparison photos! This is not the best photo of lovely Esther, however, I think Leonard would be proud!
IMG_2604.JPG
ymca.jpg
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

:lol: :oops: :lol: Thanks Di! This is proof that I'm horribly unphotogenic but I'm very glad to have this picture! Like I said, I wish I had more pics from that night and I love that you took this. Where have you been hiding it?? Are there more? Hmmm...maybe I don't want an answer to that... :razz:

Post by bridger15 »

Great photo comparison, Diana :D

And great job making the tee-shirt, Esther. :D

Kudos to both of you.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “The World Tour 2010”