CONCERT REPORT: Vancouver, B.C., Canada, December 2, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
casterbridgecohen

CONCERT REPORT: Vancouver, B.C., Canada, December 2, 2010

Post by casterbridgecohen »

For those of you not aware the site of the next concert Vancouver is without a shadow of doubt the most spectacularly located city in North America. I appreciate that may come across as a subjective even arrogant opinion but the fact is........it is true!

I am a Geographer by training and a Tour Operator by profession and fortunate enough to have visited most of the Canadian Provinces and 48 of the US States and Vancouver is in a league of its own in North America. Quebec, Charleston, Savannah and New Orleans have their charms, New York unbridled energy, San Francisco a few nice hills and Seattle some nice vistas but nowhere else will you find sandy beachs and natural parkland within a few hundred metres of downtown, and ski slopes at 5000ft overlooking the city just a 35 minute drive from downtown. Throw in off shore islands and a magnificent natural harbour and you have one of the worlds truly great cities as far as its location is concerned.

Of the four great Harbour cities that flank the Pacific (Sydney, Hong Kong, San Francisco and Vancouver it is usually Vancouver that people consdider the most spectacular and it is here that Leonard and his magnificent band are due to play this evening. Leonard has played here several times previously (Check out 'Cohen Live') and the most recently in the same venue but then named GM Place in last year. Now renamed Rogers Arena it is still the home of the Canucks - Vancouvers beloved Ice Hockey team.

The Band left Victoria late morning by sea plane to return to Vancouver Harbour. They were gracious and accommodating to the few fans still left in the hotel lobby with Charly, Hattie, Sharon and Bob going out of their way to say Hi. Leonard was very friendly and accommodating saying Hi to everyone who aproached him and accommodating when asked for an autograph or Photo. It seems there will be a lot of signed $20 bills that will not be getting spent!

If he was a little apprehensive about returning to the same venue just 18 months on at Victoria last night he need have no qualms as the audience reaction and reviews will testify and there is little doubt that a warm and rapturous welcome will be awaiting Leonard in Vancouver this evening as the tour counts down to its Las Vegas finale.
Attachments
phpqAaLTIAM.jpg
Last edited by casterbridgecohen on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
Purple Princess

Re: Concert Report for Vancouver Dec 2 2010

Post by Purple Princess »

Great photo Casterbridgecohen!
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

No meet up arranged in Vancouver but 6 of us got together for a bite to eat in downtown Vancouver last night.

We were a cosmopolitan group - gypsies of the world like Leonard.

Marie from Ireland (She who only has to open her front door to keep bumping into Leonard) , Leslie (Mutti from Seattle but ex Vancouver), Shelia from Jamaica via a 25 year residency in Vancouver, Sharron from Vancouver and the UK and our daughter Sarah who flew in from the UK yesterday for tonights concert. And 5 maybe 6 of us plan to be in Vegas.

Between us we have wracked up over 80 concerts on this tour and it does not bear thinking what that all adds up to but everyone was agreed it was well worth it and has been fun.

Marie is going to do her best to prove that the quickest route between two points is not necessarily a straight line but assures us there is a logical reason for flying from Vancouver to Las Vegas (normally 2 hours) via London/Dublin/London!

I guess if we dont see her at Caesars we will know the snow in the UK is really bad!
Attachments
IMG_6375.jpg
IMG_6375.jpg (20.93 KiB) Viewed 16636 times
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Hey, gamblin' man. Great spirited kick-off to the Vancouver concert thread.

Looking forward to seeing your photos and videos.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Michael,

Great photos, and great review of Vancouver....indeed one of the most beautiful cities in the world! How I wish I could have been with Marie and Leslie, but I'm off to Oakland tomorrow and will see you all in Las Vegas!!!

All the best!
Diana
mutti

Post by mutti »

So excited I can't contain myself!
going to have to swim today to calm down.
Its rainy and cold here in Vancouver but as its one of my favorite cities in the world
and my hometown nothing matters but hearing Leonard sing tonight...
Looking forward to being enraptured and wrapped in the energy of the concert.
Hearing Leonard sing is like nothing else I have experienced in my lifetime.
A few things have touched me so deeply and it humbles me on so many levels.
I can't explain what his words do to me...all I can say at this moment is YES!
I feel so blessed to be able to be there tonight. Hope the snow in Europe clears quickly so
all of you planning to come will make it over next week...
Big hug
Leslie/Mutti 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Mike - You couldn't have asked for a better group to meet up with!

Leslie - your first sentence has me so very curious ;-) ;-) :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mutti

Post by mutti »

Mary
I am so excited I can't contain myself is in reference to the getting to go to another concert
in less than 12 hours!!!!
8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I think we need a "sticky" for this concert thread. :D

A slide show from Joey - I think they really liked that sea plane.
And that's a nice BIG picture of Leoanrd Cohen splashed across the front of the Times Colonist! :D :D

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/207 ... -vancouver
Travel day: Victoria to Vancouver.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Canucks All Are We.
* Rogers Arena - Vancouver, Canada
Here we go -
Doors are open.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/207 ... ver-canada
A few last minute wardrobe touches.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I'm glad to see that Douglas Todd at the Vancouver Sun is giving this event the importance that it merits.
He is going to be giving updates for the concert - starting at 9:30 p.m.
He has already updated the page since I looked earlier today.

http://communities.canada.com/vancouver ... ncert.aspx

Updates thru day: Leonard Cohen's Dec. 2 Vancouver concert
By Douglas Todd 2 Dec 2010 COMMENTS(1) The Search

Watch this space today for updates, and my review this evening, of Leonard Cohen's expected three-hour Vancouver concert at The Shaw Arena. I'll file the first mini-review at 9:30 p.m. and follow up later with a complete reflection on the show.

{Update: I just noted at 3 p.m. today that reputable online sellers are now offering tickets for tonight's concert in the range of $260 to $550. Serious coin.}

The Vancouver dates comes at the end of a remarkable three-year global tour for the 76-year-old singer. Could this be the final month the public get to see Cohen perform live?

When the well-dressed baritone does his last show in Las Vegas on December 11th, he will have completed 241 concerts.

Cohen will be returning to the studio next year.

When he began this tour, Cohen wondered aloud if he would discover any sort of audience at all. Since then the Montreal singer has performed to sold-out audiences from Oslo to Tel Aviv, London to his native Canada. Along the way, he and long-time collaborator/performer Sharon Robinson (left) have received rave reviews. After Vancouver, Cohen travels to Oakland, Portland and, finally, Las Vegas.

{Another update this late afternoon: Cohen was in Vancouver and Victoria only last spring. He's back to B.C. this year because of a cancelled Hawaiian date. Here is a review of Cohen's Nov. 30th, 2011, Tuesday evening concert in Victoria, in which Cohen said, "It’s so great to be back.” He was making reference to his storied show at the same venue just over one year ago. “I want to thank-you for your most warm welcome. That’s the problem. You see, there ain’t no cure for love.”}

Read my Saturday piece, Nov. 27, 2010, column, headlined: Leonard Cohen: The Theology of Love.

Check out how Cohen's art work is going on sale in Vancouver Friday night at Granville Fine Art.

Read about how a retired SFU religious studies professor sees links between the mysticism of Cohen and the teachings of the radical Christian monk, Thomas Merton.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Our last night in Canada, let’s get going.
:D :D :D
There’s nothing like playing to a welcome crowd. Even better when it’s a welcome Cohenite crowd. But there’s really nothing like playing to a Canadian Cohenite crowd. Standing ovation before even sounding a single note.
Canada’s classy as usual, this is going to be a fun night.
The Webb’s are working it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“Smothering it with a pillow” ???
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/207 ... gers-arena
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Twitter -
william_penman William C Penman - jianghomeshi you are not a true Canadian unless you are a disciple of Leonard Cohen.
jianghomeshi jian ghomeshi - Off to see Leonard Cohen perform here in Vancouver. He is the poet prophet. I remain a disciple.
elfordo liam ford - Dang not even the scalpers have tickets for Leonard Cohen.
williamsgareth Gareth Williams - Leonard Cohen (shortly). http://yfrog.com/5ibmmbj
vivi_best vivi best - Front row and centre for Leonard Cohen? Best 'Get Well' present ever. http://twitpic.com/3cd66t
thezolas The Zolas - At Leonard Cohen with my mom. He just walked on stage!
krista_klein - At leonard cohen with my dad.
VanyaAsher = Leonard Cohen show!!! http://yfrog.com/1a7y40j
neiltuli - @@jianghomeshi leonard cohen, wow what an honor. that man has an understanding of the use of words typically reserved for shaman.
DFriesenGlobal Leonard Cohen. What can I say. Sublime.
Ideastream_1 - Leonard Cohen is casting his spell in Vancouver- magic magus!
JayMalinowski - "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" at leonard cohen in vancouver...spiritual.
BeauinYVR - I feel like I'm in church. Leonard Cohen is bringing it home. Good, good stuff.
BMGAuto - I've never seen such a bad collection of bad hats at one concert. Ahh well... Leonard Cohen, you still have it at 76, great performance.
And can't help including this one - I think Ron Wilson is the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs - and it's Canada - and - it's hockey, eh? :lol: :lol:
pclothespress - i'd like to see leonard cohen shoot a crossbow at ron wilson
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Half time.
Happy Chanukah night two.
Candles are lit backstage, time for the Tower.
Avalanche into Singer Must Die is killing every night now.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The first review from the Vancouver Sun - and it is just half time - :lol: :lol:
http://www.vancouversun.com/Leonard+Coh ... z171gJUAjB
Leonard Cohen Review: He's our man

By Douglas Todd, Vancouver Sun December 2, 2010 9:47 PM

Leonard Cohen in concert at Rogers Arena on December 2, 2010, in Vancouver.
Photograph by: Steve Bosch, PNG

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Leonard+Coh ... z171giBoiA

VANCOUVER — Where does it come from? Where does Leonard Cohen get his vigor, stamina, discipline and élan vital?

The 76-year-old's simmering energy was on robust display Thursday evening at Roger's Arena as Cohen began wrapping up a remarkable three-year world concert tour that will end Dec. 11th in Las Vegas.

The high-octane Vancouver concert, which grey-haired Cohen opened with a stirring Dance Me to the End of Love, may be one of the last times anyone ever gets to see a live performance by the Montreal-born singer-poet. He will be devoting next year to recording a new album.

His lengthy tour, which turned out far more popular than anyone expected, especially a self-deprecating Cohen, is the first that he has done in 15 years. It suggests he may not be eager to try another marathon.

His famous bass voice was especially raw as Thursday's concert began, but warmed up as he pumped through Ain't No Cure for Love and a sultry, dramatic version of Bird on a Wire.

He was working hard. So was his sophisticated band, including a flamenco guitarist, and his gifted backup singers.

"I promise you," he said, "tonight we'll give you everything we've got."

The packed audience of about 8,000, many within only a decade of Cohen's age, gave out a roar. They believed him. They trusted him.

They proceeded to greet every tune with hoots and pounding applause, especially after the foreboding Everybody Knows.

They thunderously clapped out the pounding beat of the revolutionary First We Take Manhattan, where he admits "they sentenced me to 20 years of boredom for trying to change the system from within."

And when the band came to its jazzed-up version of Who By Fire, which is about the many different ways humans can die, the audience was hanging on every tribal note and word.

It was a festival of love. It grew more ecstatic with each song.

But it was always mixed with Cohen's biting, brutally honest lyrics, which include deep familiarity with his own hate, confusion and depression.

Addressing the crowd, he lamented the "hurt and suffering in the world" and the lucky preciousness of the "happy moment" that comes when he gives a concert.

The man, lean and trim in his suit and fedora, is a testament to an authentic life. To facing one's existence with style and class, especially as it nears its end. For that he had the audience's profound respect.

None of his Vancouver admirers minded that his gravelly, self-mocked "golden voice" was drying with age.

And, anyway, it was backstopped as usual by breathtaking female singers; his brilliant long-time co-songwriter Sharon Robinson, as well as the hip-shifting Webb sisters.

Cohen has kept up his vigorous global performance pace, barring an onstage fainting spell last year in Spain, in part because he has been almost broke.

His former U.S. manager has ignored court orders to return $9 million to him.

Still, with the critically acclaimed series of 241 performances finally winding down, who knows if sturdy well-dressed Cohen will ever hit the concert road again after his December concerts in Portland, Oakland and Las Vegas.

If he doesn't, live audiences will never be able to witness what the crowd experienced Thursday evening in this city: Truth. Beauty. Transcendance.

All the important stuff.

More than almost any other performing artist, Cohen continued on Thursday to passionately do what he does best: deeply, maturely explore the complexities of love - sexual, relational and, most importantly for him, spiritual.

As an observant Jew who takes seriously Jesus Christ, and who has spent years in a Buddhist monastery, Cohen seemed to put a special stress Thursday on the tunes he calls "muffled prayers."

He was becoming transcendent by the time he came to In My Secret Life, in which he admits "I smile when I'm angry," and avoids telling people what really matters to him is the spiritual journey.

And the preacher-poet in him took over when he introduced one song by saying his signature line: "There's a crack in everything. That's where the light gets in."

Given that Cohen performed in Vancouver only last year, the hefty size of the audience at Thursday's concert, for which official ticket prices soared almost as high as $300, as well as the unswerving adoration from women and men alike, were all the more amazing.

His two B.C. dates (he performed before 5,700 on Tuesday in Victoria) were added earlier this fall only after a scheduled Hawaiian concert was cancelled.

Hawaii's loss. A blessing for Vancouver. Will he pass through B.C. once more?

Maybe that's too small a question. As The Edge, lead guitarist of U2 says, it's the entire world that may never see the likes of Cohen again.

dtodd@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Leonard+Coh ... z171fz2Zmk

Return to “The World Tour 2010”