CONCERT REPORT: Perth, Australia, November 24, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MaryB

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Perth, Australia, November 24, 2010

Post by MaryB »

Anyone else spot Fred under Chris Bynum's left arm in the photo on page one? :D :D :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Vlastik

Post by Vlastik »

Ha, ha, Mary, I checked it - he is there! I hope to see him and friends in Vegas :D :D :D
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Yes Vlasta, Fred has become a permanent fixture and it's so much fun to look for him like the 'Where's Waldo' character :D :lol:

I suddenly realized why I have so greatly enjoyed reading, in addition to Dean's, all the posts about these concerts from Australia. It is the audience reaction!!!! The Aussie audiences are like the Irish audiences - so full of enthusiasm with their outward reaction to the phenomena that is occurring onstage. I loved reading about all of them and then seeing how it was always followed up LC's positive reaction (loved all the photos of LC with his 'melt-the-heart' ear-to-ear grin :D :D :D ) to all the various outpourings of audience love.'

There seems to be a common thread running through the best (as experienced and reported) concerts through this whole tour. When the audience is exhuberant, LC and the UHTC give us so much more than 'what they've got' - more smiles, more playfullness, more songs, songs that haven't been performed live in decades, and so on....... These are the concerts that are fun not only for the audience, but also for the UHTC.

I have been at both types of concerts, and the exhuberant ones by far outweigh the 'reverential' sssh kind of ones. Not because it is better for the audience, but because of what I've seen happening onstage.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
wakeupmartin

Post by wakeupmartin »

I have been at both types of concerts, and the exhuberant ones by far outweigh the 'reverential' sssh kind of ones. Not because it is better for the audience, but because of what I've seen happening onstage.
Hi Mary,
I think I like both types. I do like the reverential (especially when stadium becomes temple and Leonard high-priest), but I also love the ones where audience are dancing, singing and shouting too. Though usually there's a bit of both to varying degrees (from what I've seen on YouTube and DVDs). I've only been to two London concerts, which were mostly of the 'reverential' type.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hi wakeupmartin,

Neither extreme appeals to me. When I talk about the 'best' concerts, these were the ones where the exhuberance was there, but there was that proverbial 'you could hear a pin drop' at all the right moments also. The performers were treated with the utmost respect and given the proper credit. No brutish behavior please.

Given the choice, would a performer prefer a standing ovation after every song, or polite applause after every song with only a couple of standing ovations thrown in.'

Every concert has been excellent, but the concerts that had that impromtu factor - with songs debuting for the first time, others being dusted off (Sligo again comes to mind where even the band members were surprised when LC sang 'A Singer Must Die' (and correct me if I'm wrong, it hadn't even been tried at any of the soundchecks)) and performed, etc.,etc..... These were definitely not where the audience 'held back' their show of appreciation. And yet, I defer to people who prefer these 'quieter' concerts. It comes back to a matter of personal taste.

With the kindest regards,
Mary
wakeupmartin

Post by wakeupmartin »

Neither extreme appeals to me. When I talk about the 'best' concerts, these were the ones where the exhuberance was there, but there was that proverbial 'you could hear a pin drop' at all the right moments also. The performers were treated with the utmost respect and given the proper credit. No brutish behavior please.
I agree, I think you're right there Mary. :)
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hi wakeupmartin,

I think we were saying the same thing at the core but in our own individual ways 8) :D :lol:

Warmest regards,
Mary
Greg Ross

Re: Video Montage of Photos from the Perth Concert.

Post by Greg Ross »

A montage of photos I took at the fabulous Leonard Cohen concert in Perth, on Wednesday 24th November 2010. The accompnaying music is by Monsieur Camembert, featuring the vocals of Elana Stone. This is a trial video clip using the wonderful Pinnacles Movie Maker programme Ann just bought me as a gift - she watched me struggle (as everybody does with the infuriating, terrible Windows Movie Maker), which crashes every half hour or so. Anyhow, I will no doubt make a far better clip of all these, once I get to know the programme, meanwhile, if like me, you're a Cohen fan, sit back and look at the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3I7Mmym0Gc
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
dce

Re: Video Montage of Photos from the Perth Concert.

Post by dce »

Greg Ross wrote:A montage of photos I took at the fabulous Leonard Cohen concert in Perth, on Wednesday 24th November 2010. The accompnaying music is by Monsieur Camembert, featuring the vocals of Elana Stone. This is a trial video clip using the wonderful Pinnacles Movie Maker programme Ann just bought me as a gift - she watched me struggle (as everybody does with the infuriating, terrible Windows Movie Maker), which crashes every half hour or so. Anyhow, I will no doubt make a far better clip of all these, once I get to know the programme, meanwhile, if like me, you're a Cohen fan, sit back and look at the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3I7Mmym0Gc
Greg,

This is a great way to present your impressive collection of photos from the Perth concert. Well done, this captures everything from the Leonard's visit ... well, almost everything: I noticed a suspicious absense of Middle-Eastern gizmos and paraphernalia :-) Oh and the Duxton Hotel breakfast buffet ... I guess you'll need to go back and have breakfast there *again*, just so you can get a representative picture :-)

Nice work!

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Hello everyone,

just to let you know (on the day of Leonard's first "final" Vegas concert no less!) that Greg has now done a second version of the video presentation of this Perth LC concert photographs; until Greg posts something here again himself, let me be so frank as to share the link with you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfWFAuXh ... r_embedded
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Greg Ross

Post by Greg Ross »

Salutations people

Further to Ann's very kind post - I'm still learning how to use the new movie / slide show programme (a wonderful gift from Ann). Time is the enemy - I need to sit quietly with the programme for a couple of days, indeed, I haven't worked out how to make the photos appear in high resolution, especially in full page mode (I promise the photos are in focus - they can be blown up to A1 without definition loss), anyhow, this is my thrid attempt (I've deleted the other two), I hope it brings joy to all - those who were there and all Cohenites around the globe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65UhyckQ5Q

The music is from a Boo... shhhh! recording of the Cologne concert, 1st July 2009.
Attachments
LC Concert Album Cover-1.jpg
LC Concert Album Cover-1.jpg (73.26 KiB) Viewed 10885 times
Leonard Cohen Perth Concert 24 Nov 2010 767-1.jpg
Leonard Cohen Perth Concert 24 Nov 2010 767-1.jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 10885 times
LC Concert Album Final Shot copy-1.jpg
LC Concert Album Final Shot copy-1.jpg (67.48 KiB) Viewed 10885 times
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
dce

Post by dce »

Greg Ross wrote:Salutations people

this is my thrid attempt (I've deleted the other two), I hope it brings joy to all - those who were there and all Cohenites around the globe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65UhyckQ5Q

The music is from a Boo... shhhh! recording of the Cologne concert, 1st July 2009.
Wonderful work Greg!

If we ever get a Boo... shhhh! recording released of the Perth show, I reckon this would make a great accompaniment to your photos from the night. I'm still living in hope that something like that will emerge -- Perth was such a fantastic show, it would be a shame to think that there isn't some form of recording of it out there ...

Heck, I'd even pay to see a DVD of this particular concert!

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Greg - this is wonderful, thank you! I'd say you've mastered your new contraption.
Warmest regards,
Mary
Eleanor

Post by Eleanor »

What a wonderful concert but we did miss Sharon. :(
It all seems like a dream now and I wonder if Leonard Cohen will come this way again. :?:

Is there some way I can get a recording of the Cup of Darkness? I hadn't heard it before and I went weak at the knees when he sang it. :oops:
Eleanor in Western Australia
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Eleanor wrote:Is there some way I can get a recording of the Cup of Darkness? I hadn't heard it before and I went weak at the knees when he sang it. :oops:
There are five tracks from one soundcheck and four concerts available to download from http://www.1heckofaguy.com
and an excellent comprehensive post about this new song.

http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/11/24/three ... -darkness/

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “The World Tour 2010”